Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with "Hooked on Driving"?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:01 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any experience with "Hooked on Driving"?

I saw that a program called "Hooked on Driving" has an event at a track near me where it says you can bring your own car and they'll have instructors coach you.

My only track experience is driving a GTR and R8 around the same track once before so I'm definitely a beginner.

Has anyone been to their events before? Was it any good?

http://www.hookedondriving.com/home

Last edited by maxpowers; 09-15-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added website
Old 09-15-2014, 01:19 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I've never been, but I've heard good things about the event they run at Atlanta Motorsports Park fairly regularly.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, good bunch of guys. Professional, learn at your own pace.

Pocono, Millville and I think Monticello.........not sure if it was them or TrackDaze.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

Hooked on Driving is decent, or you can check out any of the other various HPDE (High Performance Driving Education) organizers: Porsche Club of America, BMW Car Club of America, Chin Motorsports, or SCDA (Sports Car Driving Association) if you're in the Northeast. Each regional chapter of PCA or BMW CCA is run slightly differently, but I get the sense they are all good, some just better than others. You don't have to have a BMW to run with BMW CCA, just as you don't have to bring a Porsche to a PCA event. You can also run with different chapters--I've run with two different BMW CCA chapters, and three different PCA chapters. Check out www.motorsportreg.com for a calendar of events and organizers in your area.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:18 PM
onapex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did an HPDE beginner event with them a couple of weeks ago. Like any large group, hard to say because things can vary from region to region. I did it with the NorCal region. Professionally run group. Well managed. Relatively expensive compared to the other clubs but you get things like a catered lunch. Here's my brief pros/cons.

Pros:

- professionally run, well managed. It feels more like a business than a club.
- friendly staff, friendly instructors/coaches

Cons:

- A lot of classroom downloads after each session (for the beginner's group)
- the way they let cars out causes trains for first couple of laps (not a staggered release)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:59 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you are new, follow paradocs advice and check out PCA and BMWCCA events. The basic skills and techniques of driving are so well known and have changed so little over the years that all these programs are doing pretty much the same thing. The biggest difference is between programs such as Driver Skills run by PCA and BMWCCA using cones on an open paved lot or runway, and Driver Ed or HPDE programs run by everyone under the sun on a track. Driver Skills programs are set up with individual courses to practice braking, cornering, throttle steer, etc. Some of the better beginner track programs begin with these same exercises. The vast majority however assume you already know how to do these and put you right on the track. A false assumption which based on my experience as an instructor is a mistake that leads to slower learning and increased risk. So yes go to the track but if at all possible get into Driver Skills first.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 PM
mgscarrera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooked on driving

good group-
have run with them on several occasions- good instructors, organized, but not
overbearing or overly crowded
will be at their AMP event friday
Old 10-04-2014, 11:53 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

HOD, is great, been driving road courses with them for 3yrs.
This is my first Porsche, after Ed, delivered to dealership, took off Pirelli's and threw Sport cup 2s on, and drove to HOD at ROAD AMERICA.
Compared to PCA Driving Ed programs, which I just did at Sebring,
HOD is a lot more relaxed. Less cars more driving time! Definitely a more enjoyable experience.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:04 PM
ttlwh
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Only been once, at Thunderhill in Northern CA. Well run - hard to beat for the money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any experience with "Hooked on Driving"?