Sponsored by:

Tire replacement stress

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 06:00 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twodan
Just this week I had the second rear tire patched on my 991 within two months. This time I had two screws and 4 nails. Took two patches to do the job. I'm starting to think mt tires have magnets in them.
lol, my community is still developing, a lot of house being built, that's why I got 2 recently on the 911, 1 in front tire and 1 in rear tire. My other cars so far so good,
knock on wood.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:40 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yeah, like the one Porsche included with every 911 going out the door for like 30 years?
Will it work on the 991? Where can we buy it? I am losing about two 2 psi every two weeks and can not find the nail/screw even with a flashlight and mirror.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

The only way to find a slow leak is to put it in water
Old 09-01-2014, 10:04 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
The only way to find a slow leak is to put it in water
For clarity. Just the wheel. Not the whole car.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:47 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The last one I patch, I could't see it either it went in diagonal like this / little more slanted, the cut in the rubber covers it, had to take a pointed nose pliers to take it out. I use a spray bottle and mix little bit of car soap and water and spray around the tires to see the bubbles. Then spray it again after I patched it up to see any air coming out. Works like a charm.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:19 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
For clarity. Just the wheel. Not the whole car.
Now I will have to retrieve it from the pool.

Seriously though I just remembered the soapy water trick. GT3 remembers too . As a general rule how often do most members have to add air.Mine holds steady in the garage but changes after hard drives even after cooling overnight.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

I tend to have to add air in at least some of my tires every 1-2 weeks, depending on weather conditions (temperature and humidity) outside and how much hard driving I do.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by eg991
I tend to have to add air in at least some of my tires every 1-2 weeks, depending on weather conditions (temperature and humidity) outside and how much hard driving I do.
Maybe I can't find a leak because there isn't one.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
His wife will file for divorce.
I'm not a lawyer.
Happily married.
Originally Posted by sgroer
That was almost a haiku.
Wife will file divorce
I am not a lawyer but
Happily married
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed on configurator that BMW was offering non run flats now as an option on some models. The run flats on my f10 550 truly are an abomination and totally invalidated by sidewall pinching damage due to pot holes.

If you are going to sell Low profile oversize wheels as part of your cars original equipment, why have run flats? They don't do it on the m cars.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Now I will have to retrieve it from the pool.

Seriously though I just remembered the soapy water trick. GT3 remembers too . As a general rule how often do most members have to add air.Mine holds steady in the garage but changes after hard drives even after cooling overnight.
I've been grudgingly impressed with the 19" PZeros on my '13 981. They hold air very well, even when punctured by a screw or nail. I haven't had to add air in the 5K miles/6 months or so since the last hole was patched. The last car I had with Pirellis made me swear off the brand, but that was a long time ago...
Old 09-03-2014, 10:18 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Will it work on the 991? Where can we buy it? I am losing about two 2 psi every two weeks and can not find the nail/screw even with a flashlight and mirror.
Well the 991 weighs a bit more but they overbuild these things so much I'd say it will definitely work on a 991. For example they are made for infrequent use, yet I know one guy has used his to change tires at autocross, that's 10+ times a year for many years. So no worries. Don't know where you would find one. But its basically just a scissors jack. Lots of cars had them for years. Every Honda, for example.

For slow air leaks, don't forget to check the valve stem core. Those can go bad any time, and they will leak even when using brass valve stem caps with an o-ring.

Its good your keeping tabs on pressure. Low-profile tires are great, but the low profile means lower volume which means the same amount of leakage will result in more psi drop than with a higher profile tire. Handling also changes more, and the tire and wheel both become much more vulnerable to impact damage.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well the 991 weighs a bit more but they overbuild these things so much I'd say it will definitely work on a 991. For example they are made for infrequent use, yet I know one guy has used his to change tires at autocross, that's 10+ times a year for many years. So no worries. Don't know where you would find one. But its basically just a scissors jack. Lots of cars had them for years. Every Honda, for example.

For slow air leaks, don't forget to check the valve stem core. Those can go bad any time, and they will leak even when using brass valve stem caps with an o-ring.

Its good your keeping tabs on pressure. Low-profile tires are great, but the low profile means lower volume which means the same amount of leakage will result in more psi drop than with a higher profile tire. Handling also changes more, and the tire and wheel both become much more vulnerable to impact damage.
Thanks I should check to see if the stem core is seated.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been reduced to fearing a long trip in my 991. If I incur a flat in a rural area, I am toast. Unless you have a civil response, please do not be rude. Let's terminate this thread. It has not been constructive and I promise to never ask another question.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:28 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I have been reduced to fearing a long trip in my 991. If I incur a flat in a rural area, I am toast. Unless you have a civil response, please do not be rude. Let's terminate this thread. It has not been constructive and I promise to never ask another question.
In most cases, you can just air up your tire, drive on, watch the TPMS and refill periodically until you get to a service location.
Then you can get a plug or patch repair and worry about replacing the tire later (if not then).

Carrying your own Plug Kit can allow you to plug and refill on the spot.

In dire straits, you still have the factory sealing goop to use.
Just buy a spare TPMS now, so you can replace it easily, when you finally have the tire properly serviced.
The TPMS will be toast, after using the sealing goop, plus your rim will need major cleaning on the inside.

Quick Reply: Tire replacement stress