Sponsored by:

Tire replacement stress

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
I wish Porsche would actually design the car for run flats for exactly this reason. A GTR was designed from the start for run flats, so the suspension is tuned for the stiffer sidewall and the tires work really well - ask any GT3 owner who has tried to keep up with a GTR on a track - and the tires are carrying so much more weight.

BMW owners on the other hand can't wait to get rid of the stock run flats, I put this down to the suspension not being designed for them and basically they were a marketing driven option, not an engineering decision.

Anyone who doesn't like run flats really should try a GTR to see what they can do - I never had any complaints when I had one....
Run-flats are heavy and none of the top performance street tires are run-flat; consequently they suck and everyone that has one wants to get rid of it. Some of the best extreme performance tires have sidewalls so stiff, though, that I do wonder if they could work as run-flats in a pinch. (Dunlop ZII, BFG Rival, Yoko AD08, etc., all have pretty stiff sidewalls. Toyo R1R and Hankook R-S3 don't. Nor do MP2/MPSS, but they're not really top extreme performance tires.) I've seen other run-flag technology, like a plastic ring around the center of the wheel hub, that may work, too.

I always travel with a compressor and pack of tire plugs, though with no jack and no tire iron, it's of limited use without a good samaritan to lend aid. I'm still looking for a compact enough low-profile jack to keep in my car all the time. If the tire takes sidewall damage, or just disintegrates... I'm calling AAA and getting whatever cheapass tire mounted they've got in stock in the right size until I can get proper replacements shipped.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
A good reason not to get a base model ...
Those Goodyears deliver significantly more miles of use than the P0's or Michelin's. I got 15K on my first set. P0's are delivering maybe 10K.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock GTRs have run flats and will out corner, brake, grip even with significantly more weight of the car than pretty much any Porsche, except the 918. Go read a few stock vs stock tests. Tires are only one part of a complex suspension system, if designed right, they can be very effective.

I went through three sets and never thought about replacing them with non run flats, they just worked so well on the track, road and in the wet. Only at low temperatures were they a problem.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Key Left
Those Goodyears deliver significantly more miles of use than the P0's or Michelin's. I got 15K on my first set. P0's are delivering maybe 10K.
Long tire wear is way overrated.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I always travel with a compressor and pack of tire plugs, though with no jack and no tire iron, it's of limited use without a good samaritan to lend aid. I'm still looking for a compact enough low-profile jack to keep in my car all the time.
Actually not a bad idea -- maybe we should all carry a jack with us. Let us know if you find one.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Actually not a bad idea -- maybe we should all carry a jack with us. Let us know if you find one.
This will do the job, I own one. Keep a 1/2" rachet in the car with a socket for the jack to run up and another for your lugs and you're good to go. When flat, this takes up very little space and is made of very high quality materials.

http://www.handyindustries.com/produ...l-scissor-jack
Old 08-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just this week I had the second rear tire patched on my 991 within two months. This time I had two screws and 4 nails. Took two patches to do the job. I'm starting to think mt tires have magnets in them.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:25 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too go back with the Tire Rack longer than I can remember. Way back.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drcollie: Isn't the 750 lb limit on that jack a little low (unsafe)?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
drcollie: Isn't the 750 lb limit on that jack a little low (unsafe)?
You won't be lifting the whole car with it, just a corner. It's a VERY strong jack, but I'm sure there are others out there as well.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, like the one Porsche included with every 911 going out the door for like 30 years?
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You won't be lifting the whole car with it, just a corner. It's a VERY strong jack, but I'm sure there are others out there as well.
As stiff as these cars are, if you pick up one corner, you pick up that entire half of the car- so, that 750lbs becomes 1500, and best to give some margin of error above that.

The other concern is that once a tire goes flat, even a low-profile portable jack may be too tall to fit; you'd need an extremely low-profile jack, or some other way to lever your car up high enough to get your jack under. Chunk of 2x4 to drive your flat tire up onto so you can get your jack under it, maybe?

Something similar to Porsche's emergency jack (like the $20 jack below) could provide a lot of peace of mind.
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
As stiff as these cars are, if you pick up one corner, you pick up that entire half of the car- so, that 750lbs becomes 1500, and best to give some margin of error above that.

The other concern is that once a tire goes flat, even a low-profile portable jack may be too tall to fit; you'd need an extremely low-profile jack, or some other way to lever your car up high enough to get your jack under. Chunk of 2x4 to drive your flat tire up onto so you can get your jack under it, maybe?

Something similar to Porsche's emergency jack (like the $20 jack below) could provide a lot of peace of mind.
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T10152-S...s=scissor+jack

Looks like a good solution. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:36 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
If your wife was caught on a rural road with a flat tire and it had a spare on board, would she change it or call a service to do it for her? It's an honest question, I know my wife would not choose to change a tire on the side of any road.

Fact is, Ferrari started this trend when they realized a huge majority simply call a service to take care of it for them vs. choosing to change their own tire on the side of the road.

Where to put the wheel / tire that came off the car is another huge problem. Few sports cars today have room for a 295-19 or larger wheel except maybe on the roof.

As for the tire pressure system, those have to be replaced more often then not when tires are changed regardless of the goo. I've talked to a few mechanics who are absolutely fed up with those sensors falling apart when they try to remove the valve stem.

Any thoughts on switching over to run-flats?
I have run flats on my BMW 650 and they are the worst handling and riding tires I've ever had or used. Also, they weight about twice what a normal tire weighs so there goes the unsprung weight over the top. I changed my previous BMW to non run flat and it was much better. Run flats do not belong on a 911! Also, cost of a run flat (in Vancouver) is almost double a normal tire in same size.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:51 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, I just plugged another tire, I monitor my psi once in awhile, and when the it gets low 4 psi below, the warning lights will light up, it gives you time to drive the hell home and plug the damn thing, just don't park there and let it get flat, once the car is moving with decent pressure, its still safe to drive safely to a safe area or home.

These cars as you drive off will tell you if your psi is efficient or not, don't drive off if you see a warning light. I already plug my wife's bmw x3 two years ago and its still running fine, same thing as my Bmw 1M coupe, twice on different occasion a year ago and still no pressure lost.

My 50th edition less than a year old already patch twice and psi is still constant and exact except when its hot, 33 front and 38 rear for me. A plug kit and compressor is a life savor. As for the GTR with run flat remarks, I switch mine to pss first thing the potenza run flat wore out, best thing I ever did to the GTR, should have kept the tires when I got rid of it.

Just past week as I took the tires out and inspect, thats when I found 1 inch nail, so the warning was right on. As I took the front set tires out, I also clean, polish, and seal the wheels while its off, then did the rear wheels as well

Only thing time consuming is cleaning, polishing part. The car is so easy to jack up and dismount the tires.
Most dealers don't want to do the work and gave you all kind of excuse because they want you to buy a new one.
My wife x3 that they deny to plug the tires because its runflat, well its past 2 years and still no problem, thats almost $400 per tires, and the 1M tires are $475 per. All solve with a $13 dollar kit that has 10 plug in it and I only use 6, still 4 left.
No headache, no waiting, no rental, no explaining, no argument about tire prices.

By the way, while we talking about tires anyone wants the GTR oem Bridgestone Potenza run flat rear tires, almost new lol

Quick Reply: Tire replacement stress