Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Why a turbo base-model Porsche 911 doesn't make any sense

Interesting article

http://www.roadandtrack.com/voices/h...=1459_83322817

Why a turbo base-model Porsche 911 doesn't make any sense
Displacement isn't the enemy.

By Jason Cammisa August 27, 2014 / Photos by Porsche

We've heard the rumors today about a revamp of the base 911 in Porsche's lineup, with that car going turbo-only with a downsized motor (for fuel economy and emissions reasons) and getting a new chassis code—992. We asked Senior Editor Jason Cammisa, who has a finger on the pulse of Porsche's thinking, what he thought of the rumors. - Ed.

Porsche told me a long time ago that the current 911 platform had to last for over 10 years in 991 and 992 form. It’s just too early for a full platform switch. Remember, 997 (which was a 996 with some improvements) lasted 8 model years. 991 has been on sale for only 4. So it’s perfect timing for a 991.5 facelift—but not a new chassis.

Regarding the turbos, I had heard the possibility that the base car would be naturally aspirated but the S would be turbocharged. Either way, it’s safe to assume that all 911s other than the GT3 will, in the future, be turbocharged.

I still think Porsche’s fuel-economy hysteria shows the brand’s complete misunderstanding of the market (these cars are already far more fuel efficient than customers demand) and feel they should instead be fighting to keep sports-car volumes low enough that it doesn’t make an overall impact on the VAG corporate fuel economy chart. Which, of course, is the case now: Porsche’s big problem is its thirsty SUVs and sedans. The 911 doesn’t sell in big enough numbers to matter.

The day where fuel-economy regs look to actual fuel usage rather than our outdated dyno tests cannot come soon enough. Turbo engines do great on those standardized tests, but as we all know, they use just as much (or more) fuel in the real world. If we fixed the test, we’d stop pushing companies to put turbo engines where they don’t belong.

The Corvette has a 6.2-liter pushrod V8 and scores 17/29 on the EPA test. 911S has a 3.8-liter quad-cam, 24-valve six and manages 1 mpg better combined. Displacement isn’t the enemy.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:38 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

991s been on sale for 4 years?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
991s been on sale for 4 years?
Well, 4 model years; 2012.5, 2013, 2014, and now 2015 are rolling in.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Couldn't agree more! it's crazy that for a gain of 0.1 liter/100 Km, they went with electric steering instead of hydraulic, and then added just as much gyzmo to bring the weight back up... as author said, 911 numbers vs. Cayenne and other VAG cars is pretty much irrelevant, I guess it's mostly done for image rather than compliancy...

I can even understand 4-cylinder turbos used for Cayman/Boxster, but please leave 911 alone!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 07:10 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Article sounds like a fluff piece to me.

Porsche have confirmed that the Cayman and Boxster will be getting a turbo flat 4 and pretty much everyone speculates that the 911 will retain the flat 6. This also helps Porsche put some distance between the models too, as they are getting pretty close to each other. Performance may still be close, but the flat 6 will help justify the big price difference between them.

A normally aspirated flat 4 in a base 911 and a turbo flat 4 in the S, I don't think so.

The 991.5 is rumored to be available sometime in 2015, expect a face lift, new lights, and maybe some new models (GTS), but I'd be shocked to see a flat 4 in any 991.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:22 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another American journalist who thinks the world is not bigger than the USA.... He should do some proper research before writing an article.

This fuel saving thing has nothing to do with the US, but is only due to those stupid EU environmental rules. Porsche as a big manufacturer has to meet particular CO2 requirements for their whole line-up, hence the fact that there are e-hybrid models to compensate cars like GT3.
Look at all the other European manufacturers. They are all doing the same for the same reason. BMW putting a turbocharged 3 cylinder engine in the base 5-series in Europe!! Can you imagine that? Well... It's reality.
Even brands like Ferrari are going turbocharged (new 458 wil have an upgraded version of the California T engine), mainly because of this reason. It's only small manufacturers, like Pagani, Koenigsegg and even McLaren that don't have to meet these strict rules.

Then there is the fact that fuel prices in the US are still rediculously low, compared to european fuel prices. This makes the demand for more fuel efficiency in Europe bigger than in the US. Maybe not so much with Porsche owners, but since Porsche has to meet the requirements anyways, you'll hear nobody complain.

It's sad but true and I think we'll have to accept thefgact that n/a engines will only be used for special/limited models in the future...
Old 08-28-2014, 05:53 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm with Suzy 100%. The auther misses a healthy global scope !

Quick Reply: Why a turbo base-model Porsche 911 doesn't make any sense