Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another visit from Roadside Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 11:02 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm having a little trouble understanding why they'd replace coolant after a broken belt. I can only assume they're automatically thinking the car overheated bringing the coolant to a boiling point,in which case diminishing its capabilities to cool and lubricate vital engine components.
Another thing that is not clear from your initial post : I thought the belt broke this time around as well,but from your last post I'm understanding that it just overheated and the belt is fine?
Depending on your response,if the belt didn't break this time but the car overheated on its own,I can see why the service manager would be concerned. Because,if they indeed flushed the coolant the first time around,it sounds to me they didn't burp the air out of the system properly and that can cause an overheat situation.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:15 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm having a little trouble understanding why they'd replace coolant after a broken belt. I can only assume they're automatically thinking the car overheated bringing the coolant to a boiling point,in which case diminishing its capabilities to cool and lubricate vital engine components.
Another thing that is not clear from your initial post : I thought the belt broke this time around as well,but from your last post I'm understanding that it just overheated and the belt is fine?
Depending on your response,if the belt didn't break this time but the car overheated on its own,I can see why the service manager would be concerned. Because,if they indeed flushed the coolant the first time around,it sounds to me they didn't burp the air out of the system properly and that can cause an overheat situation.
He says the coolant was replaced after the first belt breakage repair because ANYTIME something that's coolant system related happens, they would do this. And to reiterate, the car DID register over normal temps at the belt breakage but did NOT boil over or incur enough heat to damage the engine or any other components as far as their diagnostics show.
The belt DID NOT break again, and neither the analog or digital water temp gauges showed over normal temps. When I shut off the car, it was still showing 200 which is its normal operating temp. His whole explanation is that it is very likely that either excess fluid and/or air in system caused the "burp."
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mtbscott
His whole explanation is that it is very likely that either excess fluid and/or air in system caused the "burp."
The coolant system expansion tank cap is designed to allow coolant out(burp) thru a tiny valve built into the cap,which might have ended up on hot engine components,so his theory is plausible.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:27 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The car did not overheat according to your guages.
Make them replace the water pump.
Offer to pay for it if necessary.
Then you can fight with corporate for a reimbursement later.

The pump seal and or bearings could be going bad of which coolant leaking out of the pump is a symptom as well as seizing and breaking a belt.

Excess fluid would leak as soon as it warmed up.
Bad pump may take miles of driving to show the symptoms.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:29 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Anyway,let them test it for another day to make sure it's fine then drive with confidence wherever you need to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The coolant system expansion tank cap is designed to allow coolant out(burp) thru a tiny valve built into the cap,which might have ended up on hot engine components,so his theory is plausible.
+1 I have seen this on my 996 at the track.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

After my first service last year my car dripped a bit of coolant because it had been overfilled by just a hair. I didn't notice anything until I parked it at home. It dripped straight down under expansion cap and onto the rear left exhaust header pipe and sizzled up from heat. (It seems mine did not burp as much as yours because it didn't steam up.). Was your leak left rear?
Old 08-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,132 Likes on 677 Posts

Not very confidence building if they overfilled coolant. Don't take to them for an oil change - they may overfill that too. Are all their techs new?
Old 08-29-2014, 10:06 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Scott if I were you, the one persistent question I would have is why did the belt break in the first place? Sorry if this was answered in a different thread. Before I saddled up for a long trip I would need to have answered the root cause issue.https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/rtfm.gif
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
the one persistent question I would have is why did the belt break in the first place? Sorry if this was answered in a different thread. Before I saddled up for a long trip I would need to have answered the root cause issue.https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/rtfm.gif
Well, the belt had 35,000 miles on it. Stuff breaks. The check service interval is 40,000 miles. So, this first one was pretty close. The change interval is 60,000 miles or 6 years.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8293...ast-night.html
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Got the car back yesterday. They did another coolant flush/refill, pressure checked the whole system again, replaced the cap with a new one, then test drove 32 miles followed by letting it idle in the shop for an hour.
No leaks, and temp gauge is actually reading a few degrees less than it typically has in the past.
I know some of you will still be naysayers, but I have to believe they really, really don't want to see me again, so I think they have done everything they can by their protocols. I was treated politely and sincerely from the first phone call so I hope it's done.
I've done pretty good in life by expressing concern, but never belittling or threatening anyone. I don't think any escalation at this point would amount to anything other than labelling me as a "hard customer to please." I've let it go and am happy to be back behind the wheel.

(one minor bitch. I guess they disconnect the battery during these services and I have to go back and reset a few things to my personal specs. Re-saving to the key once set has the seats/mirrors/sound/climate controls, back where I want them)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:41 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 408 Posts

Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Good to hear! Was this West or Momentum? Sounds like they did everything they could.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:38 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 008
Good to hear! Was this West or Momentum? Sounds like they did everything they could.
Momentum
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by mtbscott
Got the car back yesterday. They did another coolant flush/refill, pressure checked the whole system again, replaced the cap with a new one, then test drove 32 miles followed by letting it idle in the shop for an hour.
No leaks, and temp gauge is actually reading a few degrees less than it typically has in the past.
194F, right? That probably happened when they updated the firmware; some have reported that this was one of the changes made. As before, your actual water temperature is God-only-knows-what, reported as 194F or 200F for God-only-knows-what-reason.

I know some of you will still be naysayers, but I have to believe they really, really don't want to see me again, so I think they have done everything they can by their protocols. I was treated politely and sincerely from the first phone call so I hope it's done. I've done pretty good in life by expressing concern, but never belittling or threatening anyone. I don't think any escalation at this point would amount to anything other than labelling me as a "hard customer to please." I've let it go and am happy to be back behind the wheel.
My guess is you're OK now. The belt may have been incorrectly tensioned at the factory, causing a premature failure.

(one minor bitch. I guess they disconnect the battery during these services and I have to go back and reset a few things to my personal specs. Re-saving to the key once set has the seats/mirrors/sound/climate controls, back where I want them)
Another consequence of the reflash the dealer probably performed.

Quick Reply: Another visit from Roadside Assistance