991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratch on rear bumper

Old 08-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I moved mine to make sure they hit the bumper. I learned that year ago. You know - when I was young I knew everything. Know I have learned - I do not. These look deep enough to warrant a shop vs. a DYI.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:56 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

As it's a vertical scratch, it does look like it was scratched by an object going up/down... like a garage door.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
I moved mine to make sure they hit the bumper. I learned that year ago. You know - when I was young I knew everything. Know I have learned - I do not. These look deep enough to warrant a shop vs. a DYI.
The only things that are not truly DIY are jobs that call for materials or equipment too expensive to be worth buying, too technical to master, or too licensed or regulated to be obtained. None of this is the case with minor body touchup work like this scratch. Even a scratch that goes down to metal, or into plastic, is easily repaired with inexpensive materials that have all kinds of other general around the house type uses.

A lot of guys, probably a majority, working at body shops dropped out of high school. That's not a slam, just an observation, to make the point, if they can do it….
Old 08-28-2014, 08:11 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
The only things that are not truly DIY are ...
I suspect that the vast majority of new Porsche 911 owners are not going to take sandpaper to their car's paint.

Just because you can do it yourself doesn't mean that you should do it yourself. Fixing these kind of things isn't difficult, but it does require practice to get it right. That's what the wife's minivan is for.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch on rear bumper