Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual clicking noise coming from the engine...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:56 PM
aml161
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unusual clicking noise coming from the engine...

An interesting issue came up last night with the C2. After a 30 minute drive in stop-and-go traffic, a fairly loud clicking noise began emanating from the engine bay.

- It's timed with the engine - i.e., its pulses are faster at higher RPMs;
- It's quite a bit louder than the normal clattering while the engine is warming up (loud enough to hear in the cabin);
- It's now constant - whether the engine and environment are cold or warm;
- No Christmas lights on the dashboard;
- No perceptible loss of power;

I had some free time to take it to the dealer for inspection today. There's a theory that it could be an exhaust leak, however it was inconsistent throughout the RPM range...enough to create doubt. Regardless, despite being 100 cars behind, the service manager felt it was necessary to bring it into queue immediately.

I'll keep you posted on what the verdict is...

Last edited by aml161; 08-21-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I've heard something similar from the 3.4L in my 981BS, and there have been a few other reports if you dig through the threads here (and on Planet 9 where Boxster/Cayman owners hang out). It is likely to be the high-pressure fuel pump for the direct injection system, going by most opinions.

It's usually barely audible if at all, but sometimes gets quite a bit louder. I could be anthropomorphizing my car, but it sure seems to get worse after extended periods of idling or stop/go/slow driving, and better after a good old-fashioned Italian tuneup.

I don't think it's a huge deal, if you're hearing the same noise I do. These cars talk back.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

Direct Fuel Injectors. Normal
Old 08-21-2014, 06:39 PM
aml161
Intermediate

I've heard DFI clicking on my 997.2 C4S and it sounds distinctly different... I should have recorded it before dropping it off for future reference... [shrug]
Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
PsychicDreamer
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This could be the sound of your water pump about to fail.

You should have about 3 months before total failure, but you should visit your dealer and tell them you think it's the water pump. Trust me. You don't want this to fail while you're driving.

The beginning sound is clicking. You hear it more when your car is next to a wall or high curb and your driver's side window is down. If you noticed it all of a sudden, it's most likely your water pump.

Get it verified.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:50 AM
romansroad
Advanced

I vote for the water pump as well. Had this same thing on my 2007 Cayman, at 30k miles. Happened at speed, not a good thing.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

When not driven for a longer period of time I get a clicking/ticking noise too, but that's only until things warm up and then it's gone. I was told temorarily not enough oil pressure in the valve lifters, due to flat engine design, nothing to worry about in my case.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 AM
aml161
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer

You should have about 3 months before total failure, but you should visit your dealer and tell them you think it's the water pump. Trust me. You don't want this to fail while you're driving.

The beginning sound is clicking. You hear it more when your car is next to a wall or high curb and your driver's side window is down. If you noticed it all of a sudden, it's most likely your water pump.

Get it verified.
Happened at speed, not a good thing.
Great call. Thanks. It's at the dealer now. I'll bring this up to the service manager.

So, don't leave me hanging... What happens when it fails while driving?

Old 08-22-2014, 09:52 AM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
When not driven for a longer period of time I get a clicking/ticking noise too, but that's only until things warm up and then it's gone. I was told temorarily not enough oil pressure in the valve lifters, due to flat engine design, nothing to worry about in my case.
My car does the same thing at start up and it sounds awful.
It does seem to go away as I'm driving though.
I always thought it was the lifters.
After owning my m156 c63 AMG for 3 years, I thought a car couldn't tick louder than that beast.
My c2s sounds like a sewing machine at WOT
Good thing I got PSE and Sport Chrono, when driving I can't hear anything but snap crackle pop!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Let us know how the service goes.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:49 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychicDreamer

Get it verified.

Totally different engine, but I this happen with my 928. Fortunately, I was only about a mile from home. I was able to fill it and limp home.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
Totally different engine, but I this happen with my 928. Fortunately, I was only about a mile from home. I was able to fill it and limp home.

Mi650.

Your beautiful car. !! But every time I see your pic in your signature I see that long reflection on the top of the fender above the fuel door and I think someone keyed your ride!
Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Mi650.

Your beautiful car. !! But every time I see your pic in your signature I see that long reflection on the top of the fender above the fuel door and I think someone keyed your ride!

Oh!! Yep, just a reflection.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM
romansroad
Advanced

Originally Posted by aml161
Great call. Thanks. It's at the dealer now. I'll bring this up to the service manager.

So, don't leave me hanging... What happens when it fails while driving?

The key is shut her down asap or run the risk of massive overheating, warping of expensive bits, etc. It doesn't usually grenade like the IMS bearing. My 993 was immune to this pesky item called a water pump...

Quick Reply: Unusual clicking noise coming from the engine...