Rennlist Member

Received 3,428 Likes on 2,241 Posts

Eduardo, just noticed this car/picture has an operative center grill:

turbo?, X51, or simply new styling?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:02 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am a fan of the Sport Design bumper and almost ordered it, but I have to say it's a bit disappointing if the GTS just uses the same bumper and looks like a 991.1 while the none GTS models get a facelift. It would have been nice to change it up a bit, but I guess nothing's final yet. In terms of power, I don't expect the GTS to be that much more powerful than the 991.2 S. I really just want the wide body without the 4S strip (personal preference and not the biggest fan of 50th).
Curious...how limited was the 997 GTS or was it as easy to order as any other 997S?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Eduardo, just noticed this car/picture has an operative center grill:

turbo?, X51, or simply new styling?
Yes, every vent in that front bumper has to operate functionally to make the whole thing work correctly for its primary job of directing air to cool components (brakes, oil coolers, etc) plus now its NEW air flow workload re: the chassis. More motors & electronics gadgets to be concerned with...that's the other side of the coin.

Originally Posted by shaytun
...but I guess nothing's final yet.
Correct...not with regards the 991 GTS yet!

What's a little strange is that this car does not appear to have any of the facelift changes that other spy photos have hightlighted, which is strange, because that would suggest (if this is a GTS) that its a pre-facelift model, and therefore the facelift might be further away than we speculate.
First of all, it's just one website publishing some photo we don't know WHEN and WHERE it got. This is not Georg Kacher reporting from reliable sources...so take it all with grain of salt!

Second, MY2015 production of the 991 is almost all already fully allocated and planned out at Zuffenhausen for the rest of calendar year 2014. There is no 'room' to throw a new 991 GTS model even it they wanted to for this year. And Jan to May production will probably be shortened to introduced the MY2016 early. I am pretty sure MY2016 will be the facelift year. You all will remember that the 991 started to be produced at Zuffenhausen early in the fall of 2011 as a MY2012. Europe got earlier deliveries than us...but we were getting the first 991's here very early in 2012 (February for sure!).

So for the .1 991 we will have:

MY2012
MY2013
MY2014
MY2015

For the .2 991 we will have:

MY2016
MY2017
MY2018

Of course, anything can be changed...and they don't have to follow previous precedent like what they did for the 997. But in this age of increasing competition and fast updates in chassis & motor technology, it would be almost suicidal for Porsche to miss an opportunity to revamp the 911 model for MY2019! Market forces, plus the quick technological advancements already being developed for the next 911 chassis, will need to be introduced by that date (2018) to keep up with the competition!

By then, of course, we will have the 960 (FeFi). But that is another story for another day!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 AM
trev0006
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a fan of the Sport Design bumper and almost ordered it, but I have to say it's a bit disappointing if the GTS just uses the same bumper and looks like a 991.1 while the none GTS models get a facelift. It would have been nice to change it up a bit, but I guess nothing's final yet. In terms of power, I don't expect the GTS to be that much more powerful than the 991.2 S. I really just want the wide body without the 4S strip (personal preference and not the biggest fan of 50th).
Curious...how limited was the 997 GTS or was it as easy to order as any other 997S?
Sport Design bumper looks great, I wish I had ordered it.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
What's the fascination with CL wheels? I don't get it.
they are S hit and have no place on road going cars.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

F) My Biggest Wish - a new .2 991 GTS model with gt3's sport PDK, Rear Axle Steering in Carrera 4 wide-body...plus whatever extra engine hp & torque they are willing to give us!

My dos centavos...for what it's worth.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Currently exhausted from a very long but exciting Monterey Historics week!

Funny you say that...I have a feeling you won't end up disappointed...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:43 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a testament to how great the 991 is that mid model changes are cosmetic and relatively insignificant. I don't even think its a given they'll bump power but it's possible. The base could use a tad more torque though.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree except for Eduardo's comments on engine changes. Turbos for base and or S. That a detuned version of the current turbo engine?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dude174
That a detuned version of the current turbo engine?
Nope. Think new...and much smaller.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rera-spy-shots

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ersion-planned

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...o-geneva-video

All speculation. I hope we DO NOT get the smaller turbo engines on the base and some S models on the .2 991. I am a big fan of N/A engines. But there has been talk and some spy shots of test mules...so I thought I mention it. I personally don't think it will happen...in the .2 991 facelift.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I would expect any GTS to have "at least" the same spec as the 50th, i.e X51 powerkit, 4S chassis etc

Well, the "problem" is that the 997 GTS model was a "end of generation" "parts bin" special, with a limited production lifetime (I dont know how many were actually made), having said that though this was the exception to other GTS models such as the Cayenne, Panamera, and of course most recently the Boxtser and Cayman where they are essentially just another model variant.

I think Eduardo is correct, the facelift will come in the next model year (2016) starting production accordingly, which means we should see an announcement at either Paris (Oct) or Geneva (Mar) ... we will have to wait and see if that includes a GTS.

I would expect that to fit in between the current S and GT3 models in terms of equipment, performance and price, hence I would anticipate 4S WB chassis, X51 powerkit, Sport Design aero, maybe (optional) CL wheels (from the current GT3 or Turbo S as in the spy photo)

I very much doubt it will inherit any of the GT3 components such as PDK-S or RAS but you never know!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope. Think new...and much smaller. http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rera-spy-shots http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ersion-planned http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...o-geneva-video All speculation. I hope we DO NOT get the smaller turbo engines on the base and some S models on the .2 991. I am a big fan of N/A engines. But there has been talk and some spy shots of test mules...so I thought I mention it. I personally don't think it will happen...in the .2 991 facelift. Saludos, Eduardo Carmel
Ohhhhh ok I gotcha 👍
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Yes, every vent in that front bumper has to operate functionally to make the whole thing work correctly for its primary job of directing air to cool components (brakes, oil coolers, etc) plus now its NEW air flow workload re: the chassis. More motors & electronics gadgets to be concerned with...that's the other side of the coin.
My observation was that in the current 991 *only* the X51 powerkit cars have a functional center intake (for the additional radiator that is part of X51).
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Nope. Think new...and much smaller.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rera-spy-shots

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ersion-planned

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...o-geneva-video

All speculation. I hope we DO NOT get the smaller turbo engines on the base and some S models on the .2 991. I am a big fan of N/A engines. But there has been talk and some spy shots of test mules...so I thought I mention it. I personally don't think it will happen...in the .2 991 facelift.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
+1!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default PDK Sport and Rear Axle Steering for the GTS - A case for it!

I think Eduardo is correct, the facelift will come in the next model year (2016) starting production accordingly, which means we should see an announcement at either Paris (Oct) or Geneva (Mar) ... we will have to wait and see if that includes a GTS.
I doubt the .2 facelift will be announced at the 'Mondial de l'Automobile 2014' in October. It would put in jeopardy the rest of MY2015 .1 991 sales through the late Spring of 2015 so that would not be wise. Plus it would take some thunder away from Porsche's expected debut of the MY2015 991 gt3 RS (which will come in .1 pre-facelift form...although I will look unique enough that it doesn't matter!).

I very much doubt it will inherit any of the GT3 components such as PDK-S or RAS but you never know!
Larry, normally I would agree with you on the 'why' of putting the gt3's PDK-Plus or Rear Axle Steering on the 'lesser' GTS. But here is my thinking. For reasons which are NOT YET CLEAR to any of us 'outsiders', Porsche seems to be making plans to produce LESS 991 gt3's going forward than we & the market expected! The new PDK-S & Rear Axle Steering technology is already developed and needs to be USED to create buzz, great reviews, increase sales numbers, payback on investment, etc. Some of it is already incorporated into the new 911 Turbo. They probably are already developing a more advanced PDK-S & RAS technology for the next generation 911 chassis! So it's USE IT OR LOSE IT (as a marketing & sales advantage). I think they will chose to go with USE IT on the GTS. My dos centavos (again). I think I am up to a nickel's worth of speculation now!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 08-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I doubt the .2 facelift will be announced at the 'Mondial de l'Automobile 2014' in October. It would put in jeopardy the rest of MY2015 .1 991 sales through the late Spring of 2015 so that would not be wise. Plus it would take some thunder away from Porsche's expected debut of the MY2015 991 gt3 RS (which will come in .1 pre-facelift form...although I will look unique enough that it doesn't matter!).

Larry, normally I would agree with you on the 'why' of putting the gt3's PDK-Plus or Rear Axle Steering on the 'lesser' GTS. But here is my thinking. For reasons which are NOT YET CLEAR to any of us 'outsiders', Porsche seems to be making plans to produce LESS 991 gt3's going forward than we & the market expected! The new PDK-S & Rear Axle Steering technology is already developed and needs to be USED to create buzz, great reviews, increase sales numbers, payback on investment, etc. Some of it is already incorporated into the new 911 Turbo. They probably are already developing a more advanced PDK-S & RAS technology for the next generation 911 chassis! So it's USE IT OR LOSE IT (as a marketing & sales advantage). I think they will chose to go with USE IT on the GTS. My dos centavos (again). I think I am up to a nickel's worth of speculation now!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
all sounds plausible ... I guess we will have to wait and see what if anything emerges from Paris or Geneva; I'm anticipating Paris, since a Geneva launch
might be 'too late' to initiate orders/production in 2QCY15

Quick Reply: Porsche 991 facelift spied