Sponsored by:

S wheel road rash

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM
sc8526
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S wheel road rash

Suspect I'm not the only one who's S wheels are showing a decent amount of road wear on them. Typically toward the outer edges of the wheel (not the face) in the form of tiny chips (think black pepper on wheel). I'm a US/Midwest guy, so sand/cinders are an unavoidable reality well into the spring thaw - and seem to be causing quite a problem on the wheels after about 12k on the clock.

So it begs the following questions:

- are the others wheel in the same driving environment any better off (classic, sport design)?

- perhaps more importantly, what's everyone paying for a respray on their wheels?

I'm about 5-8K away from new rubber, and I'm planning to buy a 2nd set for summer/winter swaps. Just trying to convince myself to either look for an alternate wheel or opt for a 2nd set of S wheels and simple plan for a respray on them every couple years.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm glad to see that you are enjoying your car.

I have the Sport Techno wheels and they are also getting some sand blasting on the spokes (16K on the ticker) I'm not a show and shine guy so I'm going to just let them do their thing for a few years until I eventually break or bend one.

If you are a show and shine type of guy and still want to drive as the car was meant to be driven....a second set of wheels for the parking lot meets might be in your future.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Nobody told you? First set, save in attic, use only for concours. Second set, same as first but you can actually drive on them. Third set, lightest, widest, smaller diameter and impossible to clean (the more spokes the better), for the track. Fourth set, narrow, cheap, winter. The original bolts go in a cashmere bag in the attic, but you can slum around sharing one set for the other wheels- except of course the hollow-bored unobtanium alloy track set.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Nobody told you? First set, save in attic, use only for concours. Second set, same as first but you can actually drive on them. Third set, lightest, widest, smaller diameter and impossible to clean (the more spokes the better), for the track. Fourth set, narrow, cheap, winter. The original bolts go in a cashmere bag in the attic, but you can slum around sharing one set for the other wheels- except of course the hollow-bored unobtanium alloy track set.

Very funny . . . and sarcastic.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:06 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have basalt black on my Sport Techno wheels. From standing at his point the chips blend into the metallic affect. At least now I don't worry so much about cleaning technique. I'm just enjoying them and will respray when it bothers me.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:11 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911

Man, I missed that when I read the Porsche drivers hand book. It must be be after the chapter that says "don't wave at other Porsche drivers".
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have Sport Techno's with about 4500 miles on them and not a nick so far.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I have the sport techno's too and unfortunately have the same issue. I also have 20 inch rims on my Cayenne and same issue there as well. I live near Philly - it's unavoidable. Just keep them as clean as you can and enjoy the hard earned patina. You can also buy touch up paint which from a few feet away will make 80 percent iof it go away.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Sport Techno's and had all 4 painted a change of colour (to red) and as well had one with curb rash fixed for $1,000 in Vancouver. I do get the stones causing small paint chips and I just use touch up paint with extremely fine brush to dab the spots.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's worth noting that I have 35K miles on my 991 with base 19" wheels. They still look pristine even after using it as my only car for over a year, and three long distance cross country trips, etc.
Sounds like the damage you describe is either hit or miss depending on road conditions, and/or maybe the 20's are more prone to peppering because of their designs?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

At nearly 10K miles, my 20" Classic wheels are still perfect. Only thing I've done to the is wax.

Quick Reply: S wheel road rash