Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with the all encompassing hatred of Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 04:23 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whats with the all encompassing hatred of Bose?

I remember a thread not to long ago where a 991 guy he had to get the Burmeister stereo system, because every fiber of his being hated Bose to his very core. What? I mean in these cars who listens to any other music besides whats out back? I cant think of any other cars that the stereo is so non important. I am not an audiophile, so could someone explain why on some peoples lists of things to hate it goes like this:

5. Teletubbies
6. Hitler
7. Satan.
8,9 and 10 Bose stereo systems.

I am sure there is a good reason, I just cant see it at the moment.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BOSE is engineered with cheap components, sounds like crap to audiophiles but markets itself as a premium brand. Imagine Subaru masquerading as a Porsche.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:43 AM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea to be honest, music is low on my list for this car. It is nice on my X5 to have decent music as that is a cruiser, but for a sportscar I am more interested in hearing the exhaust
Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the loud exhaust, I think it's hard to get a solid sound due to many interference even with good system. I've spent $8000 for aftermarket system on my boxster and now the stock 991 is just sound as good. Live to learn...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

So why buy the "S" when the "Non S" is more than enough
Old 08-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Bose is an innovative company that patents interesting tech but then charges through the nose for products whose build/sound quality are nowhere near the level of their price.

My general experience is that they make muddy sounding stuff that costs 3 times more than it delivers. I can't speak to their car stereo but I seriously doubt it's worth anywhere near what it costs to have installed as an option.

+1 on the standard sound system. It's actually decent.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:48 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is almost funny. I have owned 4 new 911's since 1988. All 4 have had an aftermarket/upgrade exhaust AND an aftermarket/upgrade stereo. To all you folks that NEVER listen to the stereo and ONLY listen to the exhaust I wonder where you live. On a nice secluded road I like to turn down the radio and listen to a sweet exhaust. Driving home in traffic I like to close the windows...turn on the a/c...turn up the stereo. I guess if I owned a GT3 AND lived in a small town that never saw traffic I would use the stereo less. But only listen to the music of the exhaust? seriously?
As far as the Bose goes, I had a bose in my 997.2. The base stereo is acceptable....the bose IS better....and my Burmester is FARRRRRR better. It's not what you need but what you can afford. Why are a nice exhaust and a nice stereo mutually exclusive? The turbo is faster than my 911/50 but I didn't get one because it's not what I wanted. If you don't need an upgrade stereo that's OK but don't think for one second that the Bose isn't better than the base stereo. Unless you are deaf it is. And the Burmester is plain awesome. Now don't get me wrong, I am not talking about value. If I wanted value I'd get a base 991 or an M3. So the standard system is decent but it sure isn't great. BTW is a 10K akrapovik exhaust "good" value? Isn't the "standard" PSE decent? Just get what you want but stop putting down every option you didn't get......like PDK/PCCB/PDCC/Sunroof etc. It never ends.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 612 Posts

I thought the BOSE was bad (in my Boxster) until I had the opportunity to drive a 991 cab with the base stereo while shopping for a 991. It was unbelievably bad. Shockingly bad. Awful. And I'm pretty deaf.
Haven't heard the Burmester.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:15 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

I've always like Bose Speakers.

I don't think folks can get their head warped around that their speaker systems are meant to be heard not seen.

I love going into high end stereo places and SEEING ribbon speaker, flat panel speakers, solid wood, polished piano black elegance and even orbs suspended by rods acting as tweeters all taking up floor space. Then I go home and see almost nothing but get great sound to my non-audiophileic ears.

BUT

I do however don't get into their electronics since it doesn't (or didn't) allow for expansion (multiple HDMI's) so I've been using Onkyo receivers.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an audiophile. In the 1,000 miles I've driven my Porsche I have had 12 people in the car. No one has complained about the Bose not being good. I really like the Bose system and I'm not sure that I would appreciate the Burmeister $3000 dollars more.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:43 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow I didnt know Porsche was so unbelievably bad that they would put a muddy sounding stereo system in a 140,000 car. I didnt realize Porsche was so unprepared and stupid. I had no idea.

Bacura I live in a town with 25,000 people and the nearest bulk grocery store is over 100 miles away. Anyone can get to their office in less than 10 minutes. In 2 miles you can be in completely deserted desert and you can run your car to over 160 mph with no other traffic ( a prerequisite of going that fast) and no worry about policia.

THPorsche- Thats the worst case of "Wish I would have got an S" I have evner seen! You should try taking your car to the track, see how it can preform, then you would understand the S over the non S. Then beg a ride in a GT3. Then start your own post.

I hate to say this but this 991 board is so contrary than sometimes I cant believe this is Rennlist. Do you guys want this to be 6 speed? On the anniversary of my 10,000 post, I have a hard time with this disdain of others peoples opinions. Those of you who took time to answer my question I appreciate it.
I honestly didnt understand the hatred of Bose. I know it sounds better than the base system but when I travel long distances I listen to sports radio or political talk (I know how cave man right!)
and I had heard this before. So agin those of you who took time to answer my question without making an attempt to make me feel stupid I appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:57 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I actually haven't heard the Bose but after reading this thread I'd like to try it out to see what all the hoopla is.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
enzom
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
I thought the BOSE was bad (in my Boxster) until I had the opportunity to drive a 991 cab with the base stereo while shopping for a 991. It was unbelievably bad. Shockingly bad. Awful. And I'm pretty deaf. Haven't heard the Burmester.
I had the base stereo in my C2S. It was AWFUL. My TT has the Bose system, and it is far better. No contest. Never heard the Burrmeister, and probably shouldn't listen to it at this point. Ignorance is bliss.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'm completely happy with the Bose in the cabriolet. The PSE and manual downshifts still sound better.

My new favorite song the on the Bose right now is Dierks Bentley's, "Drunk On A Plane".

"Buyin' drinks for everybody
But the pilot, it's a party
Got this 737 rocking like a G6
Stewardess is somethin' sexy
Leanin' pourin' Coke and whiskey
Told her about my condition
Got a little mile-high flight attention
It's Mardi Gras up in the clouds
I'm up so high, I may never come down
I'll try anything to drown out the pain
They all know why I'm getting drunk on a plane
"
Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

What I have found is that a lot of people don't configure the Bose correctly. Without configuring it, yes, it does sound horrible. But a few tweeks of the bass, treble, fader, surround etc and you can get it so sound pretty good. It is not a high performance system and agree that it is probably a bit overpriced for what you get, but to me it is not as horrible as others have stated. There are tons of better systems out there, both the Bur and aftermarket but I for one am not willing to pay the exorbitant prices for that.

Quick Reply: Whats with the all encompassing hatred of Bose?