Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats with the all encompassing hatred of Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Lebreeze
I didn't know you were a audiophile too money. I will definitely look for your good advices (watched pumping iron last night haha) when finishing my HT.
No way, I just watched Pumping Iron last weekend. I was searching around on Netflix for something to watch and boom, Arnold! I hadn't seen it in years.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:38 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Money,
Last year when I read Panasonic would no longer be making plasma TVs this year I immediately purchased one. The image quality is fantastic.
As to Bose, I currently have noise-cancelling headphones and earbuds, a couple radios, a single speaker that sits beneath a TV (not the plasma!) and a bluetooth speaker for my iPad and phone. I purchased them based on the pro reviews that picked them as best in class and then going to listen to them and compare with competing merchandise. They don't sound like my stereo/home theater system, but they meet my expectations for what they are and are used for.
In my car, besides the fact that I had panels buzzing in both doors, the sound was not good--almost painful in fact. I took the car in for a couple items and updates, including the buzzing panels, this past week. The dealer put felt strips behind the vibrating panels and replaced a window switch. And, voila, not only were vibrations gone, but the stereo sound was remarkably better as well. I'll have to try some of the adjustment formulas put forward here. I thought the system was pretty good in my Cayman S. Over the years I've not been knocked out by Bose car systems, but I like the home and travel products I've bought from them.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:12 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I guess I'm one of those guys that gets a small swell of anger everytime the word BOSE is used in a sentence. For a decent portion of my life, I researched, lived, breathed, ate, slept, dreamed, high-end Home Theater and 2 channel audio. I designed/sold systems that cost hundred of thousands of dollars. The hatred toward Bose is probably more jealousy of their marketing success.

They have hugely successfully convinced the masses that their low-cost, low-quality, infaerior products are not just good, but great. As soon as you mention the words car audio, music, or home movies, the vast majority of the US would word associate BOSE. I think that's pretty remarkable. As soon as I would mention the name before playing a note, most people have already made up their mind that the speakers sound good.

That being said, if you know what good actually sounds like, then BOSE will make you cringe. But, BOSE "engineers" have a very good understand what regular people think is quality sound. They don't make their stuff sound accurate, they make them sound they way people like it. If that is what you are after, then their mission is accomplished. Luckily for them, that's what most people want.

I think of it very much like the current state of Flat Panel televisions available today. The very best displays make you feel as though you are looking out your window. The colors are accurate, you get real life like graduation from white to grey to black, and obviously you get life-like detail. Well the TV I just described to you no longer exists. It's called a Plasma display. What happened? Marketing! Your local moron sales persons somehow created this world-wide BS rumor mill about Plasma and how LCD is better.

When I walk into a room with an LCD display(yes LED is LCD stop calling it LED), I can barely look at it. Every single one of them, no matter the calibration or cost look like crap. But they produce what people think they want, a bright picture. Newsflash, brighter isn't better.

Alright, I'm getting worked up. If you want to live in the dream world, buy BOSE. If you want something better out of life, do some homework. We drive Porsches for pete's sake! Be better!
Love it. Wish you had more technical reasons to share. So what tv on the Market today do you recommend?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by roadrat
Love it. Wish you had more technical reasons to share. So what tv on the Market today do you recommend?
That's how I roll, nerd crazy. Three things I know in this world: cars, home theater, managing money.

There really isn't one. I guess we are stuck with Samsung Plasma. They can still do a decent job if you hire an ISF certified calibrator to dial it in. Just don't hire one from Best Buy. A good calibration should cost between $300 and $500 depending on where you live.

https://www.imagingscience.com/

I would try and find a left-over Panasonic somewhere. The ZT series was their best every made. They had finally incorporated some of Pioneer's technology into this display before discontinuing. VT would be next and ST would be the lowest end.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:37 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No way, I just watched Pumping Iron last weekend. I was searching around on Netflix for something to watch and boom, Arnold! I hadn't seen it in years.
Ahnold totally had Ferrigno psyched out. You could see him doing it to him even while "kidding around" in the movie. Totally in a class of his own.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:59 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's how I roll, nerd crazy. Three things I know in this world: cars, home theater, managing money.
OK then, so where do I put my money these days? With the state of the market, I'm mostly in cash right now...

(Nothing better than free financial advice off of the internet )
Old 08-17-2014, 09:09 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you don't have gold, you don't have money. You have currency. Numbers. Whole different thing.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by MJBird993
OK then, so where do I put my money these days? With the state of the market, I'm mostly in cash right now...

(Nothing better than free financial advice off of the internet )
Let's get this more off topic. I advise everyone to put it all black, then put the proceeds(assuming you win) in a 3X Bear Market ETF. You can't lose with this strategy.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You missed page #2 post #26!!
Ahhhh...missed that.
Negative bass and treble to me would sound really odd...lots of midrange is very different from how I've always tuned my music...I guess worth a try
Anyone else have reccs? I just turned off surround and am liking the sound quality better
Old 08-17-2014, 12:08 PM
DKC64
Advanced

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
Ahhhh...missed that.
Negative bass and treble to me would sound really odd...lots of midrange is very different from how I've always tuned my music...I guess worth a try
Anyone else have reccs? I just turned off surround and am liking the sound quality better
I thought it was negative when I first read the post too. But re-reading it, I think it's a "dash" rather than negative.

eg. Surround - on is not negative on
Old 08-17-2014, 02:22 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by DKC64
I thought it was negative when I first read the post too. But re-reading it, I think it's a "dash" rather than negative. eg. Surround - on is not negative on
Ahh - that makes more sense now. Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am not an audiophile . . . but seeing at least Bose on every dealer-ordered car and every used car showing up on dealer's lots or e-Bay it appears that someone must know something I don't. I never go to movies anymore the sound is turned up so loud so I like to listen to the car radio at a lower volume. Figured the additional watts of the Bose amplifier and the addition of a woofer might improve low listening levels . . . and the Bose seems necessary for trade-in or resale.
As far as my home TV, I did not go for the plasma and settled for a plain 60" LED Samsung . . . it probably does have trouble keeping up with the fists flying on Jerry Springer.

Quick Reply: Whats with the all encompassing hatred of Bose?