Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ducktails? Why on a 991?

Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Why ducktail? One could equally ask why Fuchs? Unlike when each was originally used, there are no performance bennies. I am certain the "stock spoiler is at least as effective, so it seems more a style preference. I think the 991 looks great either way (but like the OP really appreciate the lines with it retracted, enjoy seeing the top when it deploys), and am glad i can't see the hardware view from back of the car when driving!
Whoa there! Don't go dragging the venerable Fuchs into this! Best friggen' wheel ever made! (Okay there are now carbon fiber wheels- lets see how they're holding up 30 years on…)

But yeah, its definitely a style preference. The basic 991 body is easily the most awesomely beautiful car ever. It is perfect as perfect can be (at least until they make the next one) and needs no embellishment. So adaptive aero is the way to go. Fixed spoilers and wings, they do look a lot better, in and of themselves. But then they also alter the look- less elegant, more functional. It'll be nice to see how they improve the deployed look in future versions.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Whoa there! Don't go dragging the venerable Fuchs into this! Best friggen' wheel ever made! (Okay there are now carbon fiber wheels- lets see how they're holding up 30 years on…)

Chuck. I just suggested the question. The answer is clear. They are fricken gorgeous the way they come on the 991/50.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I just re-read it and realized you said "unlike when each [the Fuchs] was originally used…" How'd I miss that?! The "new Fuchs" looks good but you are right, unlike the original its not a performance item. Why aren't they making a proper carbon fiber Fuchs homage?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

We should be glad it's not the Autobot contraption off the Panamera.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:07 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why ducktail? One could equally ask why Fuchs? Unlike when each was originally used, there are no performance bennies. I am certain the "stock spoiler is at least as effective, so it seems more a style preference. I think the 991 looks great either way (but like the OP really appreciate the lines with it retracted, enjoy seeing the top when it deploys), and am glad i can't see the hardware view from back of the car when driving!
Personally I love the ducktail and as to performance if no benefit over the normal spoiler why does Porsche allow a normal spoiler with standard front end but requires the deeper front spoiler effect to mount a ducktail on the rear? I suspect that the ducktail gives just a little more downforce as it's designed for just that.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I do agree the Panamera spoiler is ugly. But then again the Panamera itself is no beauty.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Whats not to love?
The 991 is beautiful without the ducktail/wing as well, but IMO the deployable spoiler looks pretty bad when deployed.

Last edited by Galion; 12-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
Personally I love the ducktail and as to performance if no benefit over the normal spoiler why does Porsche allow a normal spoiler with standard front end but requires the deeper front spoiler effect to mount a ducktail on the rear? I suspect that the ducktail gives just a little more downforce as it's designed for just that.
Lots of possibilities:
If the ducktail balances out the increased downforce of the sport design front bumper cap, then you are right. That would also mean the standard trim front and rear would have a straight line advantage with less overall drag.

Then, there is the extra low front spoiler on 10 mm lower sport suspension cars, despite no ducktail or rear wing. So ride ride hight must have a significant effect in balancing the car.

Then, the rear spoiler does not deploy until about 80 mph, so the imbalance effects must be negligible below that speed.

Of course, there may be a strong marketing effect to balancing the options. These are extra cost options and, how does it go? Oh I remember: "Porsche: merchandizing is expected".
Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Lots of possibilities:
If the ducktail balances out the increased downforce of the sport design front bumper cap, then you are right. That would also mean the standard trim front and rear would have a straight line advantage with less overall drag.

Then, there is the extra low front spoiler on 10 mm lower sport suspension cars, despite no ducktail or rear wing. So ride ride hight must have a significant effect in balancing the car.

Then, the rear spoiler does not deploy until about 80 mph, so the imbalance effects must be negligible below that speed.

Of course, there may be a strong marketing effect to balancing the options. These are extra cost options and, how does it go? Oh I remember: "Porsche: merchandizing is expected".
That's my understanding (and what I've been told). It's one of the reasons Porsche does not offer (or sale) an OEM ducktail without the accompanying front spoiler -- it apparently upsets the downforce equilibrium of the car at high speeds.

Apparently, however, the Sport Design Pkg front spoiler by itself is compatible with the downforce generated by the standard flip-up tail.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

This discussion lacks one thing. How many people really drive their cars to the point where the aerodynamics really come into effect? When I installed the TechArt spoilers, I only had the rear installed before taking it on the track. At +150mph, I could feel the front end starting to lift from the lack of the front spoiler. 2 weeks later, after the front spoiler install, a noticeable difference at over 160.

I'm just saying.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
This discussion lacks one thing. How many people really drive their cars to the point where the aerodynamics really come into effect? When I installed the TechArt spoilers, I only had the rear installed before taking it on the track. At +150mph, I could feel the front end starting to lift from the lack of the front spoiler. 2 weeks later, after the front spoiler install, a noticeable difference at over 160.

I'm just saying.
Very few, of course, as you allude to.

But, consider it from Porsche's perspective.

Let's say they let a customer pick and choose front and rear spoiler, and someone opts just for the ducktail spoiler and leaves the front "unspoiled" and then takes the car to the track and gets it up to 150+ and the car gets floaty on the straights and a bit wobbly on the curves.

Then comes on these boards and starts a post ranting and raving about how the 911 can't be driven at high speeds, and that it sucks, and that the C7 is much better ...

I'm just saying.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,422 Likes on 2,237 Posts

checkout the US configurator, there is a new option package 'sport package' for $2060 that includes:

- sport chrono
- PSE
- sport design wheel
- sport design mirrors
- sport design aero

that's usually $10-11k set of options ...

its not yet selectable for some reason, but if you are thinking of a ducktail this would be the way to get it
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Very few, of course, as you allude to.

But, consider it from Porsche's perspective.

Let's say they let a customer pick and choose front and rear spoiler, and someone opts just for the ducktail spoiler and leaves the front "unspoiled" and then takes the car to the track and gets it up to 150+ and the car gets floaty on the straights and a bit wobbly on the curves.

Then comes on these boards and starts a post ranting and raving about how the 911 can't be driven at high speeds, and that it sucks, and that the C7 is much better ...

I'm just saying.
I would bet the standard retracting spoiler on the 991 is at least as effective as the ducktail. It has lots of area and is wider.

By the way, rear spoilers work to reduce the lift created by the sloping rear- more than to generate downs force. On my 911SC track car, the effect was very obvious in sweeping turns from about 80 mph- the car was better planted and far more stable, allowing more throttle. On 991s with higher rear ends and other better aero it like begins to be noticeable at somewhat higher speeds.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks just right on race yellow. To my eye the "Duck" looks better on light colored 911's.
BTW, 100% positive feedback from Porsche and non-Porsche folks alike.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chuckbdc, agree, it reduces lift rather than create downforce. A car is kind of shaped like a wing, flat on the bottom and curved over the top, "tripping" (glider term) the airflow separates it from the wing, at some point, reducing both lift and drag. How much, I don't know. Will I ever go fast enough for it to matter, ???. MerlinsGarage, to my eye also. Jelly bean colors look great with a ducktail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ducktails? Why on a 991?