Sponsored by:

DE for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default DE for me!!!

I've gotten the approval (from the boss of course) to attend my very first DE event with Metro PCA at Watkins Glen on 8/15 - 8/17.

Kinda nervous but really excited. Bill Rudtner of http://www.pcarshops.com/new-york/rudtners-racing-group talked me into going, he's been doing my service for a long time and has been working on getting me to a DE event. I think he hopes I get hooked.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jeff,
I hope you have a great time! It is a lot of fun, and is usually addicting, as I am sure you have heard. Going to a PCA event is a great place to start. They are well run and have really good instructors. I would advise that you make sure your car is in good shape (brake pads greater than 50%, brake fluid topped off, proper air pressure and frunk, interior and glove box are emptied of all non-essentials before going on track. You should not need to change anything (yet) as long as your car is in good shape. As you get hooked, you will consider different pads, fluid, tires, etc. However, I think you will get more by focusing on your driving than your car for at least 3-4 DE's, if not longer. I would suggest you strongly avoid things like R-compound tires that will make your car faster until you get pretty good at driving what you have first.

I also like to study the track map and any guides I can find so I know the corner numbers, flag stand locations and the general nature of each turn by heart (left or right, tight, sweeper, hairpin, etc.) and if possible elevation changes. Then I watch videos of similar cars on track, preferably driven by experienced drivers. This will help you familiarize yourself pretty thoroughly with the track and line before you even show up. There will be a lot going on when you are on track, and if you can get this stuff sorted out beforehand, it allows you to focus more on driving and digesting instruction.

It would also be good to make sure you understand the rules for the event, the schedule for the day, you have an appropriate helmet and what the different flags mean beforehand. All this frees up your mind for the important stuff to come.

My last piece of advice would be that you realize that tires, brake pads, rotors and front spoiler (potentially) are basically consumables and you will go through them MUCH more quickly than street driving. Its not really a problem, just something to be aware of and not stress about. I have about 11k miles on mine and am half way through my 4th set of tires, second set of rotors and 5th set of pads. It is not particularly an inexpensive hobby, but sure is fun.

Enjoy yourself and let us know how it went.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,
I just got back home from the Porsche World Roadshow (www.porscheworldroadshowusa.com) in Monticello, NY. I drove a few laps in a Boxster GTS, Cayman GTS, and C4S Targa. It was follow the leader - a Porsche Driver School instructor. Lots of fun! I'm sure the DE in your own car will be awesome!!!

My boss hasn't approved my track application yet
Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Do a quick check of your insurance policy to make sure your car is covered should damage incur in a 'racing facility'. Many insurance policies specifically exclude covering your car if it is damaged while on the premises of a 'racing facility' You can buy single day track insurance for your car for around $ 250 a day if needed. You don't want to learn that lesson the hard way.....
Old 08-02-2014, 11:54 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

So you chose "with me"!
The "consumables" mentioned above are just a few of the many reasons in favor of Driver Skills and autocross over DE. But you will learn a lot, and that's the main thing! Listen to John and cover your ears and go "la la la la la" every time some guy starts talking about buying R-comps, shocks, brake cooling ducts, oil coolers, wings, springs, roll cage….. Just bring your favorite driving shoes along with a more supportive pair for walking around, and a plastic tote to store all the stuff you'll take out of the car while driving, and you'll be fine.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Lmmike
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get track insurance! You just never know... I've almost needed it twice. This guy needed it.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

DEs are hella fun. I've done many in my M5, Vette, and motorcycles.

You should have a ton of fun and learn about the capabilities of your car. Enjoy!
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Times can always change, but in my experience being closely involved with PCA DE in a region where dozens of cars were totaled* (and who knows how many seriously damaged) nobody, ever, was denied a claim. In fact, this subject came up a lot in my time as a PCA board member, and I cannot recall ever hearing of any insurance company anywhere ever denying a claim for damage at DE. Yet, at the same time, in most every case I ever heard of where someone called their insurer to check they were advised to purchase extra coverage. I'm left to conclude, if you're made of money, call, and if you prefer to get what you paid for, don't.

Oh, and if you are the slightest bit worried about coverage then do not under any circumstances ever talk about your lap times. Driver Ed is covered because it is education not racing. Timing is an element of racing, and racing will get you denied.

*Totalled cars were from periods prior to and immediately after my direct involvement with DE leadership. Total wrecked cars during my tenure, zero. Yes, I am that good.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:19 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

You'd think insurance companies would give a discount for people willing to go the extra mile (or 3.4) for driver education in a safe instructed environment. Sure beats hooning these cars on the street, which is the other alternative.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jeff - i think you read this before and commented, but perhaps something in the post about my first DE will be helpful...
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8125...ext-heavy.html
Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Jeff--have fun! If you're like most of us who have done that first DE day, you'll get hooked. It's a great time, tons of fun, and you'll find there's great comradarie at the track. Bill Rudtner is a great guy--as the chief instructor, he'll put you with someone good your first time out.

John's advice is very good above. Other little tips that might help:
  • Bring a plastic bin to keep your stuff in, as someone above mentioned. I picked up a fairly good-sized Rubbermaid one with a lid that fits perfectly upfront in the trunk. When you get to the track, you can clean out the car's interior and put all your stuff in the bin. Glove box, center console, radar detector--all your stuff needs to be out of the car's interior.
  • You'll also need to remove your floor mats, so consider leaving the passenger one at home.
  • Don't obsess about the weather forecast. You hope for sunny skies, but you actually can learn even more when it's wet--the car slides easier at lower speeds.
  • The above being said, it can also be completely different weather conditions at the track compared to downtown Watkins Glen. You can leave your hotel with sun, and arrive at the track 10 minutes later in rain. It can also be sunny on one part of the track and raining on another. Just all part of the mystique of the place. In any case, August is a great time to go to ensure at least some decent weather. And if it does rain, your stuff will be dry in your plastic bin.
  • Arrive early the first morning to get settled in prior to registration and tech inspection (and obviously have Bill do an official pre-inspection at his shop prior to the event). When you arrive in the paddock, look for an empty spot to set up shop for the day--just ask neighboring cars if the spot is taken, and stay away from empty trailers that will need room to get their cars on and off.
  • Bring a good tire pressure gauge with you. If you are running the stock Pirellis, do some asking around regarding best HOT inflation pressures. My guess is that aiming for 36 or so front and 38-39 rear HOT is pretty good. You'll find that your tire pressures will go up as much as 5-8 psi over the cold settings, so get to the track, and then let air out to get the fronts around 31 or so, and the rears 33 or so COLD. Then check pressures each time you finish a track session during the day, as soon as you come back to your spot in the paddock. You may have to bleed off a little more each time you come in to keep optimal hot pressures. You'll find that even 2-3 psi too much will really reduce traction--as the tires get above 40 psi hot, they get slippery. Then, of course, remember to add air back at the end of the day after the car has cooled down a bit so that you can return to street pressures. There's an air compressor in the paddock at one end of the big garage for your use.
  • You may already have hotel reservations, but consider the Harbor Hotel in town. A bit expensive, but very nice and worth it, especially if your "boss" is coming along.
  • You can do GWB, then I-80 thru NJ into PA, then head north from Scranton, or you can do Throgs Neck bridge to Hutch to Cross County to Thruway to Tappan Zee bridge, then Thruway to NY State Route 17, which winds along the southern NY border the rest of the way there. Route 17 might be a bit longer, but it's very scenic. Lots of state troopers, though.
  • If you have extra time there, consider doing the hike up the gorge in town at Watkins Glen state park--beautiful and amazing. I've been to the Glen many times, and just did the hike for the first time last week. Amazing.
  • Above all, check your ego at the door. Nobody expects you to be Mario Andretti or Patrick Long or Bill Rudtner. Keep an open mind and listen to your instructor. You may have some habits to unlearn--we all do or did. And ignore dudes in your beginner run group who talk like they're hot stuff--they're just nervous and acting out. Smooth is fast.
  • One more thing--some people may tell you to disable stability control. Don't. I've done 40 trackdays, run in high-intermediate to advanced with various groups, and I don't disable stability control at the Glen. It's the wrong track to play with that--the guardrails are too close, the runoff room too small. I disable stability control at NJMP because there is much more runoff room, and certain parts of those tracks where it's easier to rotate the car with stability control off. Again, people may tell you correctly that stability control impairs learning by masking your mistakes, but the Glen is the wrong place to start out with it disabled.
  • At first it will be like drinking from a firehose, but most likely you'll love it! Have fun and report back.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Have fun! I am trying to do this ned year.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:31 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Great advice, and thanks for all of it. I am printing this out and using it to prep for the next few weeks.
  • Bill said he's staying at the Clipper, but it looks like it might be full so I'll check out the Harbor Hotel, Bill also mentioned the Radisson.
  • Bill said I won't have to worry about anything on the tech inspection, he knows my car and says it is too new. I am going to bring it to him next week for a once over.
  • I'm going to get a video system installed by Bill also, I love watching his videos and really want to be able to watch my videos when I get home.
  • Bill said not to worry about all the little details, like extra brake fluid. He said he will have everything I need and will even lend me a helmet. He said I will be very overwhelmed so all I had to worry about was registering.
  • I HATE the cross bronx and avoid that at all costs. The toughest part of getting off LI is getting over to NJ, but I will most likely go over toward the Gap and take 390 North. That's how I usually go over to that area of NY.
  • The boss is not coming with me, my son probably is. Or I might go alone. depends if he wants to hang with his best buddy that weekend for his b-day and go to Action Park (which has reopened). Bill told him to skip the party and come to the Glen
  • I'll remember the suggestion about the traction control, but will probably listen to whatever the instructor tells me. I will mention it to him/her if they say otherwise though
  • I'll get the plastic bin and the TP gauge. Can I just leave the bin anywhere?

Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hammer911
Jeff - i think you read this before and commented, but perhaps something in the post about my first DE will be helpful...
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8125...ext-heavy.html
I re-read that, and thanks so much for posting the link. Helps a lot and I'll probably read it again before next Saturday.

Jeff
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
I cannot recall ever hearing of any insurance company anywhere ever denying a claim for damage at DE.
I have my Home and Auto Insurance through USAA. Out of curiousity I called them one day to inquire about coverage at DE events where I was on track as an Instructor for my Porsche 993 C4S. I did not file a claim, I was only asking questions. Within a week I received a CANCELLATION notice in the may that USAA no longer would insure my vehicles because I admitted to them on the phone I was an Instructor at DE Schools at a facility designated for high speed racing. I spoke to Underwriting and Supervisors and they would not reverse the cancellation. Quite simply, I had to go with another insurer, they forced me out. I was so angry I cancelled my homeowner's insurance and USAA Mastercard with them as well.

It's very real to be denied and even cancelled if you do DE events. If you can afford to absorb the loss of a Porsche 911, then that's great. Otherwise, read your policy documents for exclusions and opt to buy single event track day insurance.

Quick Reply: DE for me!!!