Sponsored by:

DE for me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Ma991
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
Do a quick check of your insurance policy to make sure your car is covered should damage incur in a 'racing facility'. Many insurance policies specifically exclude covering your car if it is damaged while on the premises of a 'racing facility' You can buy single day track insurance for your car for around $ 250 a day if needed. You don't want to learn that lesson the hard way.....
Do you have a site where single day insurance can be purchased for $250? Every company I've contacted is $750-$900 for a single day. Would love to know where I can get it for $250. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:02 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 173 Posts

You can buy single day track insurance for your car for around $ 250 a day if needed. You don't want to learn that lesson the hard way.....
Originally Posted by Ma991
Do you have a site where single day insurance can be purchased for $250? Every company I've contacted is $750-$900 for a single day. Would love to know where I can get it for $250. Thanks.
+1. Lockton Affinity is outrageously expensive. Best I've done is ontrackinsurance.com, where I got it down to $575 per event by doing a 6-event package (based on declared value of $108k). This, among other reasons, is why many track rats end up getting $15k E36 M3s and doing coilovers, a cage, seats, a tune and exhaust. They can afford to write it off and don't worry about insurance.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I have my Home and Auto Insurance through USAA. Out of curiousity I called them one day to inquire about coverage at DE events where I was on track as an Instructor for my Porsche 993 C4S. I did not file a claim, I was only asking questions. Within a week I received a CANCELLATION notice in the may that USAA no longer would insure my vehicles because I admitted to them on the phone I was an Instructor at DE Schools at a facility designated for high speed racing. I spoke to Underwriting and Supervisors and they would not reverse the cancellation. Quite simply, I had to go with another insurer, they forced me out. I was so angry I cancelled my homeowner's insurance and USAA Mastercard with them as well.

It's very real to be denied and even cancelled if you do DE events. If you can afford to absorb the loss of a Porsche 911, then that's great. Otherwise, read your policy documents for exclusions and opt to buy single event track day insurance.
Thanks for confirming what I basically said, that calling your insurance company is a BAD IDEA! The very best outcome one can possibly get is they try and sell you unnecessary extra coverage. The worst outcome, what you got, happened only after you told them you are not only using your car on a race track, but instructing with it, which to their ears is tantamount to professional use. People reading your story should bear that in mind.

Another thing people might want to consider is the lack of evidence backing up fear of loss. For all the fear, I have yet to hear of any loss. That's in over a decade of PCA and now three years of RL, not one person stepping up with solid info of a claim not being paid solely because it happened at a PCA Driver Ed event.

But, the first words of my post were, "times change." If anyone has a story, actual knowledge of a claim not being paid, by all means please share. I'll gladly change my view. Main effect it'll have anyway is to add even more support to what I'm always telling people, that if your goal is to learn and develop your skills then Driver Skills and autocross are a heck of a lot better value than the track.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:08 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I've heard several anecdotes of GEICO dropping people after discovering they track. But when one of my friends parked his GEICO-insured GTO into a tire wall at VIR, they paid his claim. He was straight-up about it to them and even sent photos of his car in the tire wall. I've heard enough horror stories that I wouldn't risk it, though.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by sjfehr
I've heard several anecdotes of GEICO dropping people after discovering they track. But when one of my friends parked his GEICO-insured GTO into a tire wall at VIR, they paid his claim. He was straight-up about it to them and even sent photos of his car in the tire wall. I've heard enough horror stories that I wouldn't risk it, though.
Horror stories? As in, they were unable to get the insurer to pay?
Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal experience is more along the line of Chuck911. I cannot think of a case where the insurance did not pay, although I confess to not documenting every wreck I saw. I also think that a lot of folks had their car towed away from the track, then called their insurance and the "official" tow truck.

With that said, the lack of insurance is a problem. My company used to cover me and stopped this year, and I was not able to even get insurance when running in groups with open passing (but no timing). After doing DE's and instructing for almost 20 years, I have never had a wreck but that just might mean I am overdue.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by John's 991
My personal experience is more along the line of Chuck911. I cannot think of a case where the insurance did not pay, although I confess to not documenting every wreck I saw. I also think that a lot of folks had their car towed away from the track, then called their insurance and the "official" tow truck.

With that said, the lack of insurance is a problem. My company used to cover me and stopped this year, and I was not able to even get insurance when running in groups with open passing (but no timing). After doing DE's and instructing for almost 20 years, I have never had a wreck but that just might mean I am overdue.
Maybe. But I prefer to think it means you're responsible, reflective, patient. Honestly, in all the incidents I've seen- from minor trip through gravel to crater burned into the track- only one was not completely within the drivers control. If your #1 goal for the day is to drive the same car home at the end of the day, and it should be then you (and me, and a hundred other guys I know) are living proof that goal is 100% attainable. This is why I always chime in on this kind of thing: keep the focus where it should be.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Horror stories? As in, they were unable to get the insurer to pay?
As in dropped coverage at the hint of that car touching a track.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

The Glen is a blast!

Do not forget to bring a folding chair!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Wish I could go too. Was originally scheduled to go but my car won't be ready.

If you're traveling from Long Island I would highly highly suggest you take the throngs neck to the Hutchinson parkway then get to the Tappen zee and ride route 17 all the way up. This way you avoid the GWB and cross Bronx.

Plus it's a nice drive up. Have fun!
Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rnh204
Wish I could go too. Was originally scheduled to go but my car won't be ready.

If you're traveling from Long Island I would highly highly suggest you take the throngs neck to the Hutchinson parkway then get to the Tappen zee and ride route 17 all the way up. This way you avoid the GWB and cross Bronx.

Plus it's a nice drive up. Have fun!
Totally agree. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by ny991
The Glen is a blast!

Do not forget to bring a folding chair!
Thanks. I will do that.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Got back last night. Full write up will be done soon. All I can say for now is, you don't really know what you have until you take your car on the track. WOW!
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Got back last night. Full write up will be done soon. All I can say for now is, you don't really know what you have until you take your car on the track. WOW!
LOL, I agree 100% I have always thought that people who buy nice sports cars and never take them on the track are really missing something special. Both an appreciation of the capabilities of a "stock" car and an opportunity to really improve your driving. Looking forward to getting more details. I will be at a DE on Friday and will try and post some stuff afterwards as well.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:49 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

great. these are cars are extremely capable.

Man I wish to drive the Glenn someday.

Quick Reply: DE for me!!!