Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets with PDK over MT?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets at all.
It takes a little time for the "culture change" from MT to PDK but once this occurs, the smile is from ear to ear.
It would be interesting to see at least one poster express some regret. Heck, at bare minimum, it would help fuel the fire for those who have MT
Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
It takes a little time for the "culture change" from MT to PDK but once this occurs, the smile is from ear to ear.
The culture change that you refer to is nothing but a normal technological change.

The old 901/915 were also much better than the Tiptronic.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:36 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
No regrets at all.
It would be interesting to see at least one poster express some regret. Heck, at bare minimum, it would help fuel the fire for those who have MT
I don't think most people who actually own a PDK car will admit they regret the decision. If you spent that much on a car you don't want to say "I made a mistake with this car" so you'll convince yourself you made the right choice.

When I drove the DCT cars on the track and the loaner car friends car with PDK I was so glad I got the MT. I can't imagine driving my 991 w/an automatic and only being able to shift with paddles.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:42 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

I was one of the people who never thought he would own a 2 pedal sports car. But that was last month. In early June, I traded my 2012 991s w/7mt DD for a 2012 TTS w/pdk and could not be happier.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:48 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
If you spent that much on a car you don't want to say "I made a mistake with this car" so you'll convince yourself you made the right choice.
I make over the price of a PDK every week. I'll waste another $1000 every week in vintage racing.

It is better even at $10K more. A new Porsche 991 is not a place to worry about $40K +/-.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:08 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Now for those of us who really enjoy driving their cars, becoming one with the car, enjoying the challenge and needing all the skills necessary (heel toe etc.) to drive the vehicle smoothly while changing up and down the gears, then a manual transmission is a must.
Now how about those of us that have been doing exactly that for the last 3 decades and are bored with it ?
Trust me, it does get old !
I'm now on my first PDK/Automatic. Never looking back again on a sportscar ! PDK is brilliant.
My boring daily drivers will still be MT offcourse.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasSpeedy
I called all the dealers with non-PDKs. All sold.

If anyone has any leads please PM me.
What are the main reasons you desire a "50"?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see PDK vs Manual turning into 50 vs Manual, now which has the greater pull .... The car or the gearbox!

Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 AM
ahughes3214
Advanced

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't think most people who actually own a PDK car will admit they regret the decision. If you spent that much on a car you don't want to say "I made a mistake with this car" so you'll convince yourself you made the right choice.

When I drove the DCT cars on the track and the loaner car friends car with PDK I was so glad I got the MT. I can't imagine driving my 991 w/an automatic and only being able to shift with paddles.
Getting the PDK was one of the main reasons I traded my '12 997 GTS with a manual for the 991 PDK. Absolutely no regrets, quite the opposite.

Drew
Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 AM
VegasSpeedy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Wife and I were just having this very conversation.

50th/ PDK etc.

Why the 50th? Its gorgeous. We both absolutely love it. And to add fuel to the fire we have a 1967 911S that is slate grey....yes, thats right..we would have the cars that would match the Porsche poster.
I know...I know...Porsche nerd-doom at a totally new level.

If we can find a MT great...if not, PDK is fine. Having owned a Ferrari Scuderia one of the best aspects of that car was the F1 trans. Essentially a PDK. I had to remember that the 991 is more of a GT car vs hotrod. If I could love the Ferrari with an 'auto' and that car had NO CARPET I am sure I could embrace a PDK. Not to mention the fact that the wife prefers the PDK
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 AM
clangpap
Instructor

Originally Posted by bccars
Now how about those of us that have been doing exactly that for the last 3 decades and are bored with it ?
Trust me, it does get old !
My boring daily drivers will still be MT offcourse.
Or longer! For us the PDK was my wife's request (and since every car she's ever driven since we were together was MT it wasn't a skill issue) because she liked it on test drives. There are 4 other MT cars to choose from if the spirit moves you.

After blasting around Europe for two weeks and driving for the last month here after it arrived, I have to agree it's a great transmission and I'm happy we got it. A few weeks ago she picked me up at the airport and said "you can sell all my other cars!" That thought may have been cemented a week later when she arrived at the airport in her M5 and got out of the car and went to the passenger side. After 90 minutes inching through a traffic jam she said her left leg was tired.

To the OP, I hope you heed another 50th poster's comments about not making this solely a transmission decision. I personally think the coupe buyers that selected the 50th were brilliant. I think the 50th will likely always command a premium in the used market whereas the rest of us will have the amortize our enjoyment of our optional upgrades (coupe, cab or targa). It may be accentuated by the comment from many 50th owners that they'll never sell so supply will be low. Grab one and go enjoy since it appears the overall 50th package appeals to you.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PDK is nothing short of spectacular.. No regrets whatsoever. In my view, holding on to the MT with the PDK available is like insisting on owning a VCR rather than getting Blue Ray DVD.

The Times They Are a-Changin' - Bob Dylan.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:30 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Just a thought : it does seem that many people today keep their cars just a few years before moving on to a newer model or car. If you think you'll be doing just that,then I guess it doesn't matter what I'm about to write :

The 911-50 is supposed to be a limited special edition,just like the Speedster. That usually entails it may very well hold its value or even increase in value many years down the road. If that's the case,which transmission do you think will command a premium in the future for collectors?
PDK will be nothing but the same old boring transmission found in all of Porsche's SUV and Panamera lineup.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In about 2 years, I'll be ordering a new car. As of now, it will be a 4S, so I can stay with MT. If the MT isn't available, or if I decide to go with a PDK, I'll go turbo.

I did test drive a C2S Cab with PDK, and it was damn nice!! I still prefer the MT.

Oh and another bonus: My wife doesn't want to drive it. She can drive a stick, but likes the flappy paddles in her Camaro.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:18 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan to keep my 50th a long time. When I do decide to sell MT will most likely not exist. What % of buyers will know how to use MT? My guess is that the price will be similar for either but I also suspect there will be more buyers for the PDK cars. My son is 25. He doesn't know how to drive MT and neither do any of his friends. I won't loose any sleep over my PDK 50th loosing it's value faster than the MT ones. Also, in Canada, 80% of the 50th's were MT ( according to Mondrians stats). That means only 10 PDK's in Canada if Mondrian is correct. I have no resale worries down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any regrets with PDK over MT?