Sponsored by:

WHY I dont suggest vanity plates. Long

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Let me get this straight...you would kill someone after you cut them off because they " hammer" on your precious body work? A human life is less important than your piece of metal automobile? Is that what you are saying?

Have you ever ridden a bike ( less than 20 lbs ) on a city street and been cut off by a vehicle ( more than 3000 lbs) bearing down on you?

Please get on a bicycle, ride it around your city and then tell me if you feel the same way about cyclists and taking their lives.

Wow, again...perspective. It's a car, not a human life.
dont be so F**king stupid ... I was being sarcastic take a chill pill or get a brain
Old 07-26-2014, 09:15 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont be so F**king stupid ... I was being sarcastic take a chill pill or get a brain
Without emoticons, smiley faces, whatever...it's impossible to know if you are serious, being sarcastic or joking.

So, I wasn't being ****ing stupid, nor need a chill pill or a brain.

But, I have spent the last 15 years as a road cyclist, training for 100 mile bike rides, coaching cycling for non profits and traveling the world on cycling trips...

Yes, there are douchebags on bikes as well as great people on bikes. When you throw out remarks like that, people will take offense.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Steve
Old 07-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Perhaps highways were designed for car and bike paths for cyclists? And what the Hell does this have to do with your plates?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

True
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Homeles
Perhaps highways were designed for car and bike paths for cyclists? And what the Hell does this have to do with your plates?
By law, cyclist have the same rights on the road as cars. And, as such, need to follow the same rules of the road. Many don't and that's why drivers have such hostility towards cyclist.

Too bad that a few bad apples spoil the barrel for the rest of us.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:17 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Without emoticons, smiley faces, whatever...it's impossible to know if you are serious, being sarcastic or joking.

So, I wasn't being ****ing stupid, nor need a chill pill or a brain.

But, I have spent the last 15 years as a road cyclist, training for 100 mile bike rides, coaching cycling for non profits and traveling the world on cycling trips...

Yes, there are douchebags on bikes as well as great people on bikes. When you throw out remarks like that, people will take offense.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

Steve
You're getting a little defensive there Steve.
Go back and read Larry's original comment about cyclists again - he IS referring specifically to those douchebags, not to the great people on bicycles...
Have a great rest of the weekend,
Old 07-27-2014, 04:53 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Old Guy, you got me thinking about California drivers. Always hard to know from words so I went looking for videos, and found this one. But I just don't know, is this guy better or worse, or just about average?

I think he's using his mirrors way too much, and therefore is probably well above average. What do you think?
Old 07-28-2014, 12:49 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldGuy
After a mile or so I could see he isnt making any progress, so I flashed my High beams-no movement. I waited 2 more minutes no progress, in fact I am sure at this point we are going backwards. So I flash again, then some smoke comes out of the exhaust and there is a movement.
In my experience, the high beam flash is seen as very aggressive in NA. I probably stopped doing it 20 years ago and the incidence of left lane anger has decreased. I freely pass left or right since there seem to be increasing numbers of people who think they have an obligation to sit in the left lane at the speed limit or just below to "police" the rest of us, or perhaps are illiterate and don't understand the signs that say stay right except to pass.

I rarely get "blocked out" by someone just leading me or hanging on my bumper on the left. If it looks like I'll have to slow for a vehicle I'm approaching from behind on the right (you do look well ahead of your vehicle don't you?), I just give it a little squirt to time my pass, move in front of the vehicle on the left, pass and move back to the right. I ensure the vehicle on the left is never inconvenienced relative to their speed and the whole manoeuvre only takes a few seconds. I've actually seen the odd one awakened from their stupor and pull into the right lane behind me, but rarely. You do run into the odd aggressive a-hole, but I find they usually just floor it to try to catch up to you as you pass and then pull way ahead - I don't care, they aren't my problem anymore.

Oh yeah, the vanity plate thing. When a policeman told me he loves them because they are so much easier to remember than random numbers and letters, I decided then and there I would do nothing to make it easier for them to give me tickets.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

If you are rolling Mach10 in your car.it matters not whether or not a cop can read your plate. You can't out run his radio anyway. When he catches up to you, he'll run the plate then, so what is the difference?
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will repeat the late great George Carlin's quote I have posted before, "If you drive slower than me you're a moron, if you drive faster than me you're an idiot."
If I drive aggressively, I get the evil eye from folks, no matter what I'm driving.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by promocop
If you are rolling Mach10 in your car.it matters not whether or not a cop can read your plate. You can't out run his radio anyway. When he catches up to you, he'll run the plate then, so what is the difference?
Mach 10, its going to take a bit for him to catch up? Well, some people might hit the next exit and try to anonymously join some heavier traffic for a few miles. If he's picked up your 2FAST4U plate others on the radio will be looking for a specific car. I'd rather be the driver of the now legally proceeding car with a jumble of numbers and letters on the rear plate. Who me officer?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Right..BUT when a cop 'puts out the call', the very FIRST thing he calls in is the DESCRIPTION (kind), color, direction of travel, speed and lastly PLATE. I know of such things
Old 07-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

.......red 911 turbo going very fast. Coming up to an exit but I can't make out his plate so I guess we will loose him. Lol. Maybe I'm wrong but if a cop is close enough to see your plate isn't it game over? Or maybe it's another driver.......there is a porsche speeding by me. I can't see the plate but it says 911/50 on the back. I'm saved!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:40 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

hahaahhah Very good!!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

as far as Cops go I have never been pulled over in a 911 thanks to the V1.
By the way on the way BACK wifey drove and we left later to avoid the Socal type personalities
and we still got messed with by a guy in a volvo station wagon.
We werent going Mach 10. we had the cruise set at 76 HARDLY fast on 395. Try doing that on I 5 you will get run over if you even THINK about getting in the left hand lane.
IF we do 76 on 395 in the BMW no body gives a rats *** about us nobody. We would get passed 20 times and no body cares. Drive a Porsche tho and look out.
Chuck Great scene. I think that was the guy in the ford pickup!!

Quick Reply: WHY I dont suggest vanity plates. Long