Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY I dont suggest vanity plates. Long

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:32 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 367 Likes on 171 Posts

As for the OP's point about vanity plates, I've often thought the best one would be one almost impossible to memorize by another driver at a quick glance--something like 1O110O01.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paradocs98
As for the OP's point about vanity plates, I've often thought the best one would be one almost impossible to memorize by another driver at a quick glance--something like 1O110O01.
Everyone except old computer programmers.
They immediately see that as "B1" hexadecimal, like in memory dumps.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

SoCal Steve your post is so far off base, maybe you should take your meds before you post. You were probably the guy in the Ford pickup blocking the left hand lane and then had his wife flip me off. You wonder why companies like Toyota are leaving LA (Torrance) for Texas.
I have lived here longer than you could wipe your nose.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Replies to other INTELLIGENT replies

To the poster who had the guy pull out in front of you, same thing happened to me here guy doing 10 in a 45, so I passed him and he tail gates me for the rest of the way. Hey DONT DO 10 in a 45!!

Leaving late: Wife still has to work, I am retired but we decided at the last second to get out of the 110 degree heat and come up to our place in the mountains where its 80 or 40 at nite!!

Eye Contact. I didnt look at anyone I saw responses in my rear view mirror with my sunglasses. When I finally passed the Range Rover I didnt look at him on the way by either.

Some of you had the best response get out of the situation. The best way I found to get out of it is hit 110 for 2 minutes and just move away from the situation but its hard with wifey telling you to slow down.
I liken the way this works to passing a piece of bubble gum. You pass and you get stuck in the Goo. if you speed up you pull the goo with you if you slow down you slow down the goo. The only way to separate is to do 120 or so for 2 minutes and people dont have the motors or cajones to keep up.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socalsteve

And, your entire complaining post is completely opposite from my experience driving on the roads, canyons and freeways here.
I've lived, worked and driven in many countries. While I absolutely love California for everything it has to offer the drivers are flat out horrible. This isn't just an opinion it's reflected in the insurance rates. I've been here for 3 years and I've seen more rage, stupidity and failure to follow basic road rules then I have in all of my years of driving combined.

No one seems to have functional turn signals. People pull in front of me all the time turning in off of side streets and I have to slam on my brakes. Generally 2-3 times daily during my drive someone will take a left hand turn across my straight through lane of traffic which again results in me having to use my brakes or I'd t-bone them. I don't want to even get started on the fact that road markings here seem to be simply a suggestion. Pretty much 100% of the guys swerving between two lanes are texting. It's more important to type a text then to not force someone out of their lane of traffic to avoid a side swipe I guess. It's not difficult to avoid accidents but I have to drive more defensively here then I've ever had to drive before. Luckily the drivers inside the city are extremely predictable. They will naturally do exactly what they shouldn't, thus making it extremely easy to predict their driving behaviour.

While I've had generally positive experiences in the canyons and various scenic drives along the coast people really seem to lose their minds on the 405 and on the west side where I live.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I become king my first act will address the plague of the left lane driver. They will be removed from their vehicle and stripped naked. They will then be staked spread eagle, face up in the median strip. Honey will be poured on their genitals and eyes. This will eliminate this problem in a matter of weeks.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

MKW, you are not supposed to mention the incredibly special aspects of NorCal or the spot-on reasons for the generally poor perception of CA - I'll forgive you for that BUT interjecting Rick Perry's name or anything he says will get you many demerits and the you may loose 911 driving privileges if you keep it up!

That said, you are wrong that we live in the only special locales / regions - there are many more just as wonderful places throughout the rest of the country (and world).

Originally Posted by MKW
you guys in the less worthy states buy the phony baloney California image perpetrated by the entertainment industry here in California who do this because it sells TV viewing to the masses in the " other 49 " to make them feel better about themselves living where they unfortunately do , are even as these TV/ media producers and writers live " countries " away from the stereotypes that their own kids have never seen.

If the noisy griping trailer trash class move back to the Dust Bowl from whence they came..good riddance

I live in a scenically beautiful area at home and at my getaway place with daily May-October temps of 75 to 80 all summer , no humidity , fantastic year round driving roads minutes away, friends and neighbors who are all involved with occupations changing / leading the way the world works ...and prepping our own kids to build their own companies to disrupt their parents' companies...that's the way California has always been around my region ..attracting the best and brightest innovators ! Incredible vibe .

there is a reason people on the political spectrum ranging from Obama ( Rancho Mirage ) to Mitt Romney ( LaJolla ) own large estates here.
Even California-bashing Texas Governor Rick Perry told friends when he was here recently that he may move here because it is "so beautiful " - after his run in politics is over... leaving the Texas weather hell and sage brush far behind !
Old 07-26-2014, 06:47 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
SoCal Steve your post is so far off base, maybe you should take your meds before you post. You were probably the guy in the Ford pickup blocking the left hand lane and then had his wife flip me off. You wonder why companies like Toyota are leaving LA (Torrance) for Texas.
I have lived here longer than you could wipe your nose.
I liked the post much better before you edited it all out ( yeah, it got emailed to me ). Too bad you didn't leave it up and show everyone what a stark raving lunatic you truly are...

Good luck to you!

I'm out....
Old 07-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Yes. My suggestion would be to have some more patience when you're driving and recognize that most Americans are poor drivers in **** vehicles. All I've received is thumbs up and compliments in the two months I've owned my 991. There's a saying somewhere about being the common denominator in an equation... You're right though -- it might just be California.
a BIG +1
Old 07-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Once and a while I get idiots around but rarely anything that bad...minus a case of getting cut off and then flipped off from time to time which is just funny to me...
I like to **** the flippers off by blowing them a kiss! or making a silly face
Old 07-26-2014, 07:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The trend that disturbs me, and I think this has little to do with the car that you are currently driving (or its license plate) is that people are increasingly ANGRY and/or DISTRACTED drivers... the former angry driver s, they will take extreme exception to some action or inaction on your part, and the sky is the limit as far as their response goes (and for a country with the gun laws the US has this is NOT good IMO), as for the latter distracted drivers well the rules are not intended for them, few of them are driving outside/ahead of the car.

and ...

dont get me started on the empowered cyclists who appear to be unable to see stop signs or red lights, or think that they do not apply to them ... and god help you if you accidentally cut one off, better have your glock handy so you can off the MF as they hammer on your precious bodywork...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
When I become king my first act will address the plague of the left lane driver.
True story - a long time ago when I'd been in CA for a few months - a friend and I were driving a rental from the Bay Area down to LA on I-5 and were pulled over. I knew we hadn't been done for speeding as I saw her coming from a long way back and my RD hadn't gone off.

So we get to the side of the road and ask what was wrong and she told me that there had been a call about a car swerving down I-5. I explained that in Australia once you over take someone you have to pull over to the right - is that what you mean by swerving? She said yes. I said I knew no better and wouldn't you want people to move over?

She said, "We don't do that in California as it is safer if everyone just stays in their lane. There are less accidents that way."

True story
Old 07-26-2014, 07:28 PM
UT Bondman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Eek! Too late to relocate the Californians to Austin? :-)
Too late - they're already here!
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
True story - a long time ago when I'd been in CA for a few months - a friend and I were driving a rental from the Bay Area down to LA on I-5 and were pulled over. I knew we hadn't been done for speeding as I saw her coming from a long way back and my RD hadn't gone off.

So we get to the side of the road and ask what was wrong and she told me that there had been a call about a car swerving down I-5. I explained that on Australia once you over take someone you have to pull over to the right - is that what you mean by swerving? She said yes. I said I knew no better and wouldn't you wasn't people to move over?

She said, "We don't do that in California as it is safer if everyone just stays in their lane. There are less accidents that way."

True story
sad ... isn't it ... we should send a few over to Germany, see how many of them stay in the outside lane when you have the xexons of a big Audi, Merc, or BMW bearing down on you in your rear view mirror at 240kph+

Old 07-26-2014, 07:52 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
The trend that disturbs me, and I think this has little to do with the car that you are currently driving (or its license plate) is that people are increasingly ANGRY and/or DISTRACTED drivers... the former angry driver s, they will take extreme exception to some action or inaction on your part, and the sky is the limit as far as their response goes (and for a country with the gun laws the US has this is NOT good IMO), as for the latter distracted drivers well the rules are not intended for them, few of them are driving outside/ahead of the car.

and ...

dont get me started on the empowered cyclists who appear to be unable to see stop signs or red lights, or think that they do not apply to them ... and god help you if you accidentally cut one off, better have your glock handy so you can off the MF as they hammer on your precious bodywork...
Let me get this straight...you would kill someone after you cut them off because they " hammer" on your precious body work? A human life is less important than your piece of metal automobile? Is that what you are saying?

Have you ever ridden a bike ( less than 20 lbs ) on a city street and been cut off by a vehicle ( more than 3000 lbs) bearing down on you?

Please get on a bicycle, ride it around your city and then tell me if you feel the same way about cyclists and taking their lives.

Wow, again...perspective. It's a car, not a human life.

Quick Reply: WHY I dont suggest vanity plates. Long