Sponsored by:

Help from iPhone Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Help from iPhone Users

All, I like to think of myself as tech savvy, but I'm having trouble. I prefer to plug my iPhone in directly as Blue Tooth streaming compresses the signal, degrading quality. By the way, all functions work with BT streaming.

When playing music through iTunes, files stored on my phone, or Spotify; I used to be able to control the tracks and see the song/album on the car's display when plugged in through lightning/USB. A few months ago it stopped recognizing my phone. I can still play music through it, but it just doesn't show on the display. The display says no iPod connected, and I can't change tracks.

I tried deleting the stupid AHA app, thinking that might have something to do with it. That didn't work.

Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Is Bluetooth turned off on your phone?
If not, could there be some interaction between BT and your direct connection?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:23 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by VIC_50th
Is Bluetooth turned off on your phone?
If not, could there be some interaction between BT and your direct connection?
I guess it's possible, but I don't think so. I just learned on 6speed that there is a PCM update. Maybe that will help.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:43 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Money.

I've noticed the same with my 5s.

If I hard reset my phone and start the car with it already plugged in directly to the USB port it will display the art and allow me the control the tracks from the head unit.
At first I blamed the PCM but now I blame iTunes.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Same issue wiht Pandora, cant seem to get the best quality, either with Bluetooth Aux or IPod selection. Pretty crappy quality. Sounds almost like AM stereo
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same prob until I figured out to manually select the unit in the bluetooth menu.

I fiddled with the bluetooth connection and selected the iphone device as default instead of the factory default. With factory default (not iphone as selected default), it will still play the songs, just you cannot select songs/change tracks directly on the head unit.

Last edited by Porscheforever; 07-26-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:54 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dag nabbit!!! where is a 14 year old when you need him????!!!!!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Same issue wiht Pandora, cant seem to get the best quality, either with Bluetooth Aux or IPod selection. Pretty crappy quality. Sounds almost like AM stereo
Pandora, even in high quality mode, has a samples at a maximum bit rate of 192 kbps. BT will compress even more. Spotify provides 320 kbps for premium subscribers, which is still not equivalent to CD quality but is much better.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Money.

I've noticed the same with my 5s.

If I hard reset my phone and start the car with it already plugged in directly to the USB port it will display the art and allow me the control the tracks from the head unit.
At first I blamed the PCM but now I blame iTunes.
I just tried this. It still doesn't work. I think I'm going to book an appointment at the dealer to have this and a few other things checked out. I think a software update my help. I usually try to avoid the dealer, but this is annoying me.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:43 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I always use the cable. There is massive inconsistency between songs. Some sound quality is incredible, others pathetic, all from the same source (iTunes). I've never seen art or anything like that on PCM though.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I just tried this. It still doesn't work. I think I'm going to book an appointment at the dealer to have this and a few other things checked out. I think a software update my help. I usually try to avoid the dealer, but this is annoying me.

Shoot Money.

Sorry it didn't help. I find that some evenings I just simply forget to turn off my phone when I leave it plugged in on the counter overnight. Sometimes a few days go by without turning it off and then back on. I'm only reminded of that because apps or other things don't work quite right or an app becomes frozen. I just hard reset it and it usually solves the issues including connecting to the car. I also have the base stereo in my car so I'm sure connectivity issues are going to be different with the base to Bose to Burmester.

Hopefully you can wait while they perform an upgrade on your PCM.

Cheers!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Was just at the stealership on Friday. No PCM update, just door arresters.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems strange. In my car the sound quality from my iPhone/Pandora is the best of any music sources.

You probably already know this, but just in case:

The Sound controls (Treble, Bass, Fader, Balance & Surround) are specific to each music source. if you have your FM tuned up perfectly, that doesn't mean CDs or iPod/iPhone are. You need to tune each one.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
Seems strange. In my car the sound quality from my iPhone/Pandora is the best of any music sources.

You probably already know this, but just in case:

The Sound controls (Treble, Bass, Fader, Balance & Surround) are specific to each music source. if you have your FM tuned up perfectly, that doesn't mean CDs or iPod/iPhone are. You need to tune each one.
Pandora is compressed roughly 7:1 versus a CD. So a CD would be a far superior audio source in comparison. Also, I'm not sure how Pandora sources its content. There may be further compression if they compress an already compressed file.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM
TTCarrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
Pandora is compressed roughly 7:1 versus a CD. So a CD would be a far superior audio source in comparison. Also, I'm not sure how Pandora sources its content. There may be further compression if they compress an already compressed file.
CDs. Oh yeah, those.

I don't have any of those any more. Ripped them to my MAC and then sold them for $1 apiece in a garage sale about 10 years ago.

Quick Reply: Help from iPhone Users