Sponsored by:

Help from iPhone Users

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:38 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTCarrera
CDs. Oh yeah, those. I don't have any of those any more. Ripped them to my MAC and then sold them for $1 apiece in a garage sale about 10 years ago.
There's a CD player? I thought that was a speeding fine disposal slot!?!
Old 07-29-2014, 12:51 AM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I took delivery of my '13 C4S this past weekend! It's awesome and everything I hoped it would be

I was surprised to find that the AUX bluetooth for music streaming via my iPhone 5 worked just fine. I am running iOS7 7.0.6. PCM with Bose, version 4.4. The first thing I did was delete all previous phones that were in the PCM system (I read that the PCM system will search for all the phones in the list, hurting the bluetooth data bandwidth.)

Then I connected my phone. I leave the bluetooth on in my iPhone and whenever I get in the car, it takes a few seconds, and then "AUX BT" shows up under the SOURCES button menu.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide -- I want to help! These things can be frustrating, I know

ww
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is going to sound dumb- but did you try a different cable? In the last few months I had an apple lightning cable and an hdmi cable go bad, drove me nuts.

Also, how did you get cover art? Is that an update or something?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by wwspeeds
So I took delivery of my '13 C4S this past weekend! It's awesome and everything I hoped it would be

I was surprised to find that the AUX bluetooth for music streaming via my iPhone 5 worked just fine. I am running iOS7 7.0.6. PCM with Bose, version 4.4. The first thing I did was delete all previous phones that were in the PCM system (I read that the PCM system will search for all the phones in the list, hurting the bluetooth data bandwidth.)

Then I connected my phone. I leave the bluetooth on in my iPhone and whenever I get in the car, it takes a few seconds, and then "AUX BT" shows up under the SOURCES button menu.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide -- I want to help! These things can be frustrating, I know

ww
BT works just fine. The problem I am having is with the phone being plugged into the car directly through lighting/USB. With Bose it probably doesn't matter much, but I have Burmester. BT compresses the signal and doesn't sound as dynamic. There is a noticable audible difference between BT and a direct connection.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin N
This is going to sound dumb- but did you try a different cable? In the last few months I had an apple lightning cable and an hdmi cable go bad, drove me nuts.

Also, how did you get cover art? Is that an update or something?
That's a good idea. I'm going to switch out the cable tonight.

I don't think getting the album cover, artist name, and track information has anything to do with an update. When I first got the car, I plugged in my phone, and I had full functionality. All of sudden about a month and a half ago, PCM has been saying "no iPod recogized."
Old 01-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 228 Posts

Hopefully this is an easy one. Just got my 2014 911 this week and have two questions related to the PCM/iPhone integration. SW Ver 4.63 I believe. I have it discovered in Bluetooth for the phone and all phone functions work as advertised.

1. Is it possible to have music play from the iPhone automatically upon plug in to the USB port in the glove box via lightning cable? I have a pioneer deck in my old 911 that does that and it is awesome.

2. The only way I can change the playing track is through my iPhone. The left right arrows around the PCM volume button only change the song title in the lower PCM field, but the music stays on the current track. If I go through the PCM menu to find a song, when I highlight the desired song and press the right side PCM button, nothing happens and the current song remains playing.

Must be missing something simple. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Hopefully this is an easy one. Just got my 2014 911 this week and have two questions related to the PCM/iPhone integration. SW Ver 4.63 I believe. I have it discovered in Bluetooth for the phone and all phone functions work as advertised. 1. Is it possible to have music play from the iPhone automatically upon plug in to the USB port in the glove box via lightning cable? I have a pioneer deck in my old 911 that does that and it is awesome. 2. The only way I can change the playing track is through my iPhone. The left right arrows around the PCM volume button only change the song title in the lower PCM field, but the music stays on the current track. If I go through the PCM menu to find a song, when I highlight the desired song and press the right side PCM button, nothing happens and the current song remains playing. Must be missing something simple. Thanks!
Yes. I play music off my iPhone into the glovebox UBS outlet. Sounds great. And charges the phone. Lid closes easily on the cord.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully this is an easy one. Just got my 2014 911 this week and have two questions related to the PCM/iPhone integration. SW Ver 4.63 I believe. I have it discovered in Bluetooth for the phone and all phone functions work as advertised.

1. Is it possible to have music play from the iPhone automatically upon plug in to the USB port in the glove box via lightning cable? I have a pioneer deck in my old 911 that does that and it is awesome.

2. The only way I can change the playing track is through my iPhone. The left right arrows around the PCM volume button only change the song title in the lower PCM field, but the music stays on the current track. If I go through the PCM menu to find a song, when I highlight the desired song and press the right side PCM button, nothing happens and the current song remains playing.

Must be missing something simple. Thanks!
My PCM ver is 4.73...is this the latest?
Old 01-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Ditto lex. Using either USB or Bluetooth you need to click 'source' 5 times to select iPod or Bluetooth... As well as a display on the PCM a neat top line appears in the mfd with each click so you can see when you're in the selected source without looking down too long. I got used to the 5 click routine very quickly. In USB mode you can browse and select artists, tracks, albums etc via the pcm... Once selected you can skip tracks etc via the mfd. In bluetooth mode I usually set my track list or album on the phone when I get in the car as you can only skip tracks using Bluetooth. Sound quality is not as good in BT mode and is dependant on handset volume as well as PCM volume whereas in USB mode it is governed entirely by the pcm. Hope this helps
Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Cheeky, I'm playing through USB and the PCM left/right doesn't control the tracks and I have selected iPod as the source.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Fwiw, I occasionally cannot move from song to song from the center dash mounted forward/reverse track switches. I also occasionally do not see the song info on the PCM. I am using a iPhone 5S via USB.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:19 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Cheeky, I'm playing through USB and the PCM left/right doesn't control the tracks and I have selected iPod as the source.
I've not had this issue and it doesn't sound right. I've used both iPhone 5S and 6 and both have worked with the 'left/right' buttons beneath the volume control.
Only things I can think of trying before dealer visit are...
-Have you tried a hard reset on the phone? (Holding home and power button together until apple logo appears)
-Try car reset by turning on full ignition but without starting the engine... Leave ignition on for 60 secs then start as normal.
-Make sure you have a genuine apple cable. You will see if the phone charges correctly. Replica cables are notorious for being patchy.
-Try Bluetooth mode or try using left/right buttons to scan in radio mode to check if the buttons themselves are functioning correctly.
I can't see why any of the above will necessarily fix the issue but worth 10 mins of your time before you visit the dealer...
Good luck
Ian
Old 01-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!!!!

Did the steps you outlined and now it works perfectly. I can select a song via the PCM and the left right buttons work. When I interrupt the music due to a call or unplugging the cable, it automatically starts back up from the last point once the call is over or it is plugged back in.

Still trying to get the music to work in BT mode but not that critical as I always plug the phone in and put it in a cradle for Waze so I get traffic camera alerts. Very important here in Germany as they are all over the place and camoflauged!

Last edited by Pavegeno928; 01-12-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!!!! Did the steps you outlined and now it works perfectly. I can select a song via the PCM and the left right buttons work. When I interrupt the music due to a call or unplugging the cable, it automatically starts back up from the last point once the call is over or it is plugged back in. Still trying to get the music to work in BT mode but not that critical as I always plug the phone in and put it in a cradle for Waze so I get traffic camera alerts. Very important here in Germany as they are all over the place and camoflauged!
Great result... By the way, the music also restarts where left off if you mute (by pressing the volume button) - nice touch
Incidentally I believe you have to tell the car what functions you permit via Bluetooth (at least I did in my last car) so worth checking both phone and music are enabled.
Glad you got it sorted.

Quick Reply: Help from iPhone Users