Sponsored by:

Official Porsche recommendation for break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:35 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official Porsche recommendation for break-in period

I apologize for bringing up this topic which has already been discussed ad infinitum.

Being the owner of a new 2014 911, I'm struggling with maintaining the limits recommended in the owners manual. This is particularly true for the maximum engine RPM of 4200.

I downloaded the user manual for several new Porsches. All the way from the diesel Cayenne to the 918. The "hints for break-in period" are the same for all these vehicles. It is remarkable that engines that produce maximum power close to 4200 RPM have the same recommendation as those that barely get going at that RPM.

In some prior posts, there has been discussion about engine heat so that the lower RPM restriction is to avoid excessive heat buildup and to allow the metal to "cure" properly. The heat characteristics of the engine bay in these highly varied set of vehicles, is likely to be quite different.

This further makes me wonder if the recommendations in the user manual truly are based on legal/financial reasons as opposed to engineering reasons.

I would welcome any comments from other forum members.

Last edited by Sask997; 07-25-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

It's all in your owner's manual. Very simple. Either follow it, or not. With all the other posts like you stated, that you have already read, why another one?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Agreed. I just had not noticed or seen any comment about that the fact that the recommendation is the same for all Porsches regardless of the engine type or application. Seems odd from an engineering perspective.

If this horse has already beed beaten to death, moderator please close the thread.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hearten to death and buried!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:51 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry,.....Beaten to death and buried!
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I hadn't realized there was any issue.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:30 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Sask997
I downloaded the user manual for several new Porsches. All the way from the diesel Cayenne to the 918. The "hints for break-in period" are the same for all these vehicles. It is remarkable that engines that produce maximum power close to 4200 RPM have the same recommendation as those that barely get going at that RPM.
It makes no sense, does it? From an engineering point of view anyway. But from a legal/liability point of view? Well then it not only makes sense- its mandatory. Literally, something that MUST be done. In America, anyway!

This issue is dead. Balaclava drove a stake right through the heart. Didn't mean to. Perfectly nice guy. Till he unwittingly went all Van Helsing on the break-in crowd. Oh sure, we still got to put up with a few of the undead, least till we get 'em properly good and buried with separate head coffins and all.

But for those with intact heads with functioning brains, nothing beats the truth!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html

Scroll down for this gem of a quote straight from Porsche Stuttgart:

I did ask about break-in, and got the following answers: “for American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.”

Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The endless debate present in many threads on every car forum known to man!

Half the people will tell you to follow the manual to a tee. Bathe the car in angel tears, use gasoline only extracted from carnivorous dinosaurs(herbivores are clearly deficient in octane content) and have the engine massaged by virgins at the end of every run.

The other half will tell you to flog it like a mule. Drive it like you stole it - Grand Theft Auto style. They will show you proof that cars treated in such a manner will make higher horsepower further down the line.

This is obviously all mostly tongue in cheek. I've yet to see one shred of concrete evidence pertaining to a vehicle I own or have owned in the past that either method is superior to the other. At the end of the day it's your money and you should do as you see fit. I fall somewhere between the two methods. My personal feeling is that the manufacturer set limitations on these vehicles for a reason and as long as I stay within those bounds I shouldn't damage the vehicle. Right, wrong? I don't know, but it's my money and I'll be stuck with the bill if I'm wrong. So I'll enjoy it as I want to and if I'm wrong then it will be my problem.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:37 AM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ezkill
The endless debate present in many threads on every car forum known to man!

Half the people will tell you to follow the manual to a tee. Bathe the car in angel tears, use gasoline only extracted from carnivorous dinosaurs(herbivores are clearly deficient in octane content) and have the engine massaged by virgins at the end of every run.

The other half will tell you to flog it like a mule. Drive it like you stole it - Grand Theft Auto style. They will show you proof that cars treated in such a manner will make higher horsepower further down the line.

This is obviously all mostly tongue in cheek. I've yet to see one shred of concrete evidence pertaining to a vehicle I own or have owned in the past that either method is superior to the other. At the end of the day it's your money and you should do as you see fit. I fall somewhere between the two methods. My personal feeling is that the manufacturer set limitations on these vehicles for a reason and as long as I stay within those bounds I shouldn't damage the vehicle. Right, wrong? I don't know, but it's my money and I'll be stuck with the bill if I'm wrong. So I'll enjoy it as I want to and if I'm wrong then it will be my problem.
I would love to see a 991 owners manual from Germany and compare their recommendations with the US recommendations.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
I've yet to see one shred of concrete evidence ...
This guy has photo's of piles of pistons from engines that were babied following manufacturer's advice, alongside ones that followed the correct full-throttle regime needed to achieve good piston ring seal. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Talk to race engine builders, there really is no question- lots of full throttle early on is required to fully seat the piston rings. In other words, follow the advice Porsche gives in Germany, "careful when cold, then flat out." For the full quote: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html

I'm at work where I don't have access to my saved list of all the RL'ers from all over the world who have reported NO similar rev limiting language in their owners manuals. The Porsche rep quoted by balaclava could hardly be more clear. The only question is, are we willing to listen?
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Might as well reference Bob the oil guy while you're at it...
Old 07-26-2014, 02:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I suggest you not break the engine.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chuck we went through this on another thread - didn't the moto tune guy base his assumptions on testing hundreds of lawnmower engines (read cheap with inferior material)?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:18 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
nothing beats the truth!
So, Chuck, speaking truthfully, what year was it that you last purchased a new 911 and broke the motor in? Any in the last 20 years? Did you follow the owner's manual or go all crazy on it?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:30 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
. The only question is, are we willing to listen?
Well for me it's not really a question. I got a pretty nutty look from the dealership when I picked up my GT500 and stripped the supercharger muffler in the parking lot before driving it away. Once it started building boost 12 miles later(built in safety so car porters don't get fully functional cars)I left a good strip of rubber on the road. I'm not patient and don't feel like waiting. That's my way. Right or wrong? As I said, I don't know. But it's my money and I'll take responsibility for the consequences of my actions if there are any.

As I said I've seen this type of evidence on 3-4 car forums I belong to of vehicles I own. I'm not sure I'd call it concrete and I don't really care. It's worked well for me and while I certainly don't flog new vehicles I like to run them through the RPM ranges, vary my speed, and go hard on the throttle.

Originally Posted by Weim911
I would love to see a 991 owners manual from Germany and compare their recommendations with the US recommendations.
I would also like to see this just because I'm curious.

Quick Reply: Official Porsche recommendation for break-in period