Sponsored by:

Official Porsche recommendation for break-in period

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 03:22 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I waited till 300 miles to let her rip in sport plus. I did do a couple runs in the under 300 mile area on
some passes on the highway. I would think if you baby the motor for the first 500 miles or so nothing bad will happen and you can still "careful when cold, flat out when warm" Nothing is going to happen for the first couple of hundred miles. The motor will stay relatively new until your ready to let it rip. I would bet you can do research to decide which road to take and either path will still be valid for 300-700 miles but I am in with the " careful when cold flat out when warm" now. As a scientist it makes sense to me that you have a bit of time before damage would occur in the baby it mode, but you better let her rip soon around the 500 mile mark, before varnishing or what ever bad things, start to happen.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:40 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
nothing beats the truth!
Originally Posted by LexVan
So, Chuck, speaking truthfully, what year was it that you last purchased a new 911 and broke the motor in? Any in the last 20 years? Did you follow the owner's manual or go all crazy on it?
Lex, why do you keep bringing this up? I told you already, Chuck is actually a 13 year-old girl who spends most of her days in the basement of her Daddy's house with her thesaurus and a dictionary. She doesn't get out much because of the lazy eye, which tends to freak out the boys her age.

Chuckette hopes that she will eventually grow up, get a job, and maybe, just maybe, one day she too can afford to own a Porsche.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Lex, why do you keep bringing this up? I told you already, Chuck is actually a 13 year-old girl who spends most of her days in the basement of her Daddy's house with her thesaurus and a dictionary. She doesn't get out much because of the lazy eye, which tends to freak out the boys her age.

Chuckette hopes that she will eventually grow up, get a job, and maybe, just maybe, one day she too can afford to own a Porsche.
I like Chuck. I bet that he is a purist and that he has a 2012.5 991 C2S with 30k miles and it still looks new. Probably silver or black and manual. Also, he did a burn out leaving the dealership when he bought it. That's Chuck in my head. And he didn't follow any stupid porsche recommendations at all. Definitely not the break in one.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:19 AM
PatrickC23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my GTS, and I always do adhere to the Break In period. In my M cars there is a service immediately following the break-in, I did not see it with the GTS but wanted to confirm? Is there any service for fluid flush post break in?

TIA
Old 12-23-2015, 05:17 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickC23
I just got my GTS, and I always do adhere to the Break In period. In my M cars there is a service immediately following the break-in, I did not see it with the GTS but wanted to confirm? Is there any service for fluid flush post break in?

TIA
Completely elective. I do mine after the first 1,000 miles. And this is what Andreas Preuninger, head of Porsche GT car development, also recommends.

Quick Reply: Official Porsche recommendation for break-in period