Sponsored by:

Brake pads and an iPad mini

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 PM
bettenmv
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads and an iPad mini

Hey everyone - I recently purchased my first 911, a black / black 991 S. Super excited to finally have a car I have wanted for 15+ years! I have a question about brake pads for the non-ceramic brakes. I came from a 2008 BMW M3 and I bought Akebono ceramic brake pads for it. They were nothing short of amazing from a non-dust standpoint. I literally didn't need to clean my wheels hardly ever. They aren't made for my car, and I'm thinking there aren't many options out there since not many of the 991s have driven the miles to need new pads. If anyone has any insight into aftermarket pads for my car, I'd love your advice. The only thing I have done to the car thus far are a Valentine 1 remote mount and mounting an iPad mini over the top of the PCM. I use Waze and Spotify a lot, wanted the wifi hotspot, and the ability to use that versus my phone which I would rather have for calls. Sorry the pictures are so bad.

Thanks for any advice or insight on brake pads.

Mike

Old 07-25-2014, 05:13 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Welcome to the forum! And congrats on the new purchase!

I can't tell you anything about the brakes. I just have the stock stuff and 60-0 in 99ft is a ok for me. I agree that brake dust is an issue...annoying, but gives you a good reason to wash the car when it's not all that dirty...

For the iPad mini - how did you connect it? USB to glovebox? I get the improved utility, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the look of that...
Doe it interfere with use of the dash controls or PCM? Can you get the same utility by putting it in the glovebox and running it thru the PCM or as a Bluetooth device?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

What does the iPad do that the PCM doesn't?

As for brake pads that don't dust, you could try axxis, they made a great street pad that I used on the last couple of cars once the oem was done that was better about dusting and more importantly better performance.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46 PM
bettenmv
2nd Gear

As far as the brakes go, I'm not concerned about performance honestly. I'm just looking to kill the dust. I'm obsessive over the wheels and it would be really nice to not have to clean them every few days - and I find myself cleaning the inside of the wheel and the caliper as well because I can reach them and they are so noticeable.

You can access the PCM through the dashboard and control, so I don't miss that at all. The iPad allows you to access Waze and spotify, both of which I use all the time. I don't like using my phone for them because if you get a call it kills your nav. I wired a power line back to the armrest and connect through Bluetooth. I also can use it as a web browser or YouTube or Netflix etc for passengers. I'm seeking tesla like functionality from it. I really like the functionality and don't give up anything except factory nav which I don't use anyway.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:20 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 180 Posts

It was my experience that the dust was unbelievable for the first 3000 miles or so and then was just annoying.

It comes off with soap and water and gives me an excuse (if i needed one) to wash the car.

I'd stick with the stock pads if you aren't racing...they pay the porsche engineers the big bucks to figure this stuff out and I trust them to mate the right pads to the rotors.

Quick Reply: Brake pads and an iPad mini