Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...

Hi all,

I have been thinking about aftermarket exhausts for awhile and haven't been satisfied with the price to sound ratio so far. The "cheaper" ones don't have the exotic growl-pops-gurgles, etc. and the more expensive ones are just that, expensive!

So, after hearing the PSE on sound clips and on peoples cars, I think I'd like to add that to my car. Also, the on-off button certainly is a plus.

Why is it $500.00 more in parts alone to add it to a non "s" model? And, will the labor charges be higher as well? If so, why?

Please, I am a very non-technical guy. Simpler terms the better for me, if you don't mind.

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

Last edited by socalsteve; 07-25-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

I just added the Sharkwerks sport exhaust to my 991S and LOVE IT!
I've had for a week now. Love the low growls, pops and gurgles. Not a bad price either!
I installed in my garage using basic hand tools and no lift in about 2 hours.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=403
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Hi all,

I have been thinking about aftermarket exhausts for awhile and haven't been satisfied with the price to sound ratio so far. The "cheaper" ones don't have the exotic growl-pops-gurgles, etc. and the more expensive ones are just that, expensive!

So, after hearing the PSE on sound clips and on peoples cars, I think I'd like to add that to my car. Also, the on-off button certainly is a plus.

Why is it $500.00 more in parts alone to add it to a non "s" model? And, will the labor charges be higher as well? If so, why?

Please, I am a very non-technical guy. Simpler terms the better for me, if you don't mind.

Steve
I dont know for sure, but I think retrofitting PSE is going to be problematic and expensive... primarily because PSE has electro-mechanically operated valves in the exhaust system that will have to be wired into the car, the dashboard switch to manually operate them, and the reprogramming of the ECU to enable PSE function.

p.s
note the on-off button is really an "on' button, forcing the valves open, they will open and close automatically around 3500 rpm or so ... the button keeps them open below that threshold.
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so...the sound...growl...is great...no doubt. Any HP benefit? Os is it just to pose??? LOL
Old 07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
so...the sound...growl...is great...no doubt. Any HP benefit? Os is it just to pose??? LOL
good question, I dont think Porsche markets it as such, however the fact that the system opens the valves mid-range changes the exhaust gas flow between low end and mid-upper range, so it probably does positively effect the torque curve accordingly
Old 07-25-2014, 03:11 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by CPTAmericaMV
I just added the Sharkwerks sport exhaust to my 991S and LOVE IT!
I've had for a week now. Love the low growls, pops and gurgles. Not a bad price either!
I installed in my garage using basic hand tools and no lift in about 2 hours.
Sound clip, please...

My experience with the Sharkwerks was underwhelming in the car that I drove in. No pops or gurgles, not very loud and not deep. Very different than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyC...ature=youtu.be

Please prove me wrong!

Thank you!

Steve
Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I dont know for sure, but I think retrofitting PSE is going to be problematic and expensive... primarily because PSE has electro-mechanically operated valves in the exhaust system that will have to be wired into the car, the dashboard switch to manually operate them, and the reprogramming of the ECU to enable PSE function.

p.s
note the on-off button is really an "on' button, forcing the valves open, they will open and close automatically around 3500 rpm or so ... the button keeps them open below that threshold.
Curious why you say this? Its obviously been done before as the kit is available from SunCoast. And there is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyC...ature=youtu.be who posted a before and after.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Curious why you say this? Its obviously been done before as the kit is available from SunCoast. And there is this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyC...ature=youtu.be who posted a before and after.

Thanks!
I didnt say it was impossible!

note that the suncoast kit states: "Professional installation and dealer activation required. Comes with the complete exhaust system and dash switch, we will need your VIN number to verify all options."

I would check with your dealer before buying the kit to get an estimate of the labor costs involved. that's all.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
good question, I dont think Porsche markets it as such, however the fact that the system opens the valves mid-range changes the exhaust gas flow between low end and mid-upper range, so it probably does positively effect the torque curve accordingly
Good Answer. ^^^^

Having had the modding bug and having international forums I've read where in some states and countries... etc. have sound restrictions and the exhaust gets tested at inspections at a certain RPM in most cases. That could be why it in normal mode it's closed at lower RPM to stay quieter through towns/cities and then on the open road it opens up.

BTW those that have loud exhausts .... why? why? why?

Just my thoughts.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
Good Answer.

Having had the modding bug and having international forums I've read where in some states and countries... etc. have sound restrictions and the exhaust gets tested at inspections at a certain RPM in most cases. That could be why it in normal mode it's closed at lower RPM to stay quieter through towns/cities and then on the open road it opens up.

BTW those that have loud exhausts .... why? why? why?

Just my thoughts.

I believe its closed at lower rpm to increase the back pressure on the engine, and opens at higher rpm to reduce that over effect I believe is to improve torque across the rpm curve
Old 07-25-2014, 04:22 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all,

Please, I am a very non-technical guy. Simpler terms the better for me, if you don't min

Steve
I had PSE installed on my car in April. As you stated there is 500.00 less parts cost on the S. The reason is the the S model is already prewired for PSE and some of the parts come with the S. In my case the labor was 4.5 hours. For the base model the labor will be 8 hours.

I had the work done at my Porsche dealer and in my case the whole job came in at $145.00 less than the option price if I had ordered PSE from the factory. I paid $118.00 per hour labor and they gave me 15% discount on parts for a total price of$3,145.00. The option price in Canada is $3,290.00. By the way this carries a 2 year warranty from Porsche because it is Porsche parts and installed by a Porsche dealer.

In your case there are extra parts but parts prices are lower in the US and you will have an extra 2.5 hours labor.

Was it worth it? Definitely!

Last edited by petee1997; 07-25-2014 at 04:45 PM.
911Stalker (07-15-2020)
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 PM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Sound clip, please...

My experience with the Sharkwerks was underwhelming in the car that I drove in. No pops or gurgles, not very loud and not deep. Very different than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNyC...ature=youtu.be

Please prove me wrong!

Thank you!

Steve

Steve,

I think my car sounds much better than this PSE equipped car does. I'm out of town for work. Will try making a video for you this weekend.

Josh
Old 07-25-2014, 05:24 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by CPTAmericaMV
Steve,

I think my car sounds much better than this PSE equipped car does. I'm out of town for work. Will try making a video for you this weekend.

Josh
Myself and my wallet will be thanking you if this is truly the case!

The one that is posted on Youtube (also linked in this thread) I have heard and though it sounds great, it doesn't sound as deep, aggressive or gurgley as the PSE.

Please prove me wrong!

Thank you in advance,

Steve

Quick Reply: Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...