Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 07:47 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Lunarx - so you have not found a nice sounding AM exhaust from Fabspeed, AWE, Ark, etc? Also, seems you don't like Sharkwerk?
I was leaning towards stuff like, Tubi, Tech Art, Cargraphic, that have legitimate center mufflers with a good tone and conservative loudness.

I just want to hear them in person, before buying, and its hard to find somebody to demo one.

I dont like the center muffler bypass type systems (aka X-Pipes) as they are just loud pipes.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
I was leaning towards stuff like, Tubi, Tech Art, Cargraphic, that have legitimate center mufflers with a good tone and conservative loudness.

I just want to hear them in person, before buying, and its hard to find somebody to demo one.

I dont like the center muffler bypass type systems (aka X-Pipes) as they are just loud pipes.
Those systems you name bypass the side mufflers when on, and are louder overall.

Crosspipes leave the side mufflers in the path at all times. Frankly, they are not much louder than stock. A bit deeper, more growl, but not loud.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:48 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Lunarx.

I'm just curious.

You have a base with PSE and you are spending the money to eliminate your PSE and have the dealer install the non PSE setup in your car because you are tired of using the button to turn the open exhaust off? When you start your car the exhaust & or sport mode should be off position.

If that's what you are saying you will actually devalue your car by doing that. If you don't like how the car sounds with PSE just simply don't drive it with PSE on. Otherwise if you want an aftermarket exhaust that sounds different from the standard Porsche PSE then simply upgrade to an aftermarket. Don't spend the money to revert back to a stock exhaust setup. That's throwing money out the window.

The first thing I do when I start my car is hit the Sport button with engages Sport & automatically engages the PSE. I can't drive the car without the exhaust on. It's almost as quiet as my Prius without PSE.

Last edited by MarcusG; 07-26-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought there was noise abatement in Newport Beach? Glad I'm not your neighbor
Old 07-27-2014, 12:12 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by promocop
Thought there was noise abatement in Newport Beach? Glad I'm not your neighbor

Actually we do. It was created to control the excessive noise from leaf blowers and property owners doing or having maintenance performed on their property at all hours of the day and night.
That's the best part of being able to control the exhaust with the switch. You can also drive your car with the PSE on without it being excessively noisy or obnoxious to neighbors. It's not how much noise it makes, it's how you use it.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certified_prime
Those systems you name bypass the side mufflers when on, and are louder overall.

Crosspipes leave the side mufflers in the path at all times. Frankly, they are not much louder than stock. A bit deeper, more growl, but not loud.
Certified, you have a point, that non-valved x-pipes can leave the side mufflers permanently in the exhaust path.
I imagine that will be relatively quiet.

In that scenario, I just wonder if back pressure is increased at high RPM.
It was my understanding, that even the Base Exhaust, bypasses the side mufflers at 3300 RPM.
It makes me suspect the side mufflers were not designed to handle the exhaust flow of full throttle, plus all those bends add restriction too.

It appears there are a lot of exhaust options, which does make it hard to decide what to get, without hearing them in person.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:30 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Lunarx.

I'm just curious.

You have a base with PSE and you are spending the money to eliminate your PSE and have the dealer install the non PSE setup in your car because you are tired of using the button to turn the open exhaust off? When you start your car the exhaust & or sport mode should be off position.

If that's what you are saying you will actually devalue your car by doing that. If you don't like how the car sounds with PSE just simply don't drive it with PSE on. Otherwise if you want an aftermarket exhaust that sounds different from the standard Porsche PSE then simply upgrade to an aftermarket. Don't spend the money to revert back to a stock exhaust setup. That's throwing money out the window.

The first thing I do when I start my car is hit the Sport button with engages Sport & automatically engages the PSE. I can't drive the car without the exhaust on. It's almost as quiet as my Prius without PSE.
MarcusG, I hear you.
Although my car is an S (not Base) with PSE.
I got a nearly new Standard S Exhaust for real cheap, so not much money is being spent & I'll install it myself.

I have a kind of rattle in my exhaust at 7K rpm, so I am changing to the Standard Exhaust mostly to diagnose that.
Also, I am real curious to try Standard Exhaust and see why so many don't like it.
I am thinking it might sound good, with the valves open, so I wont have to keep closing them.

I probably won't run the Standard Exhaust all that long, depending on what I discover in regards to the 7K rattle.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:29 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Certified, you have a point, that non-valved x-pipes can leave the side mufflers permanently in the exhaust path.
I imagine that will be relatively quiet.

In that scenario, I just wonder if back pressure is increased at high RPM.
It was my understanding, that even the Base Exhaust, bypasses the side mufflers at 3300 RPM.
It makes me suspect the side mufflers were not designed to handle the exhaust flow of full throttle, plus all those bends add restriction too.

It appears there are a lot of exhaust options, which does make it hard to decide what to get, without hearing them in person.
The base car does not ever bypass anything with the stock (non-PSE) exhaust. Their are no valves. Just the center muffler straight to the sides and out. Hence the single tip exhausts.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Oh. Ok.

I see. That makes more sense. Not that any of us make sense at all on here!

Darn. I just noticed you are going to install the non PSE yourself. I was thinking the dealer would replace it for you since you have a rattle.

Either way, at least we have relatively reasonable options for aftermarket exhaust that are relatively easy to install!

Good luck on it and make sure you update the thread when you install your new non PSE exhaust!

Last edited by MarcusG; 07-27-2014 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by certified_prime
The base car does not ever bypass anything with the stock (non-PSE) exhaust. Their are no valves. Just the center muffler straight to the sides and out. Hence the single tip exhausts.
Interesting, if that is true, the Base 911 should be able to pick up some power from a valved exhaust, such as an S's Standard Exhaust or PSE or an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 AM
certified_prime
Instructor

Interesting, if that is true, the Base 911 should be able to pick up some power from a valved exhaust, such as an S's Standard Exhaust or PSE or an aftermarket exhaust.
It does, in the midrange. Frankly, my car pulls significantly stronger in the 3-4k RPM range, after my crosspipe install.

At the top end, it feels the same.

Quick Reply: Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...