Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by socalsteve
Hi all,

I have been thinking about aftermarket exhausts for awhile and haven't been satisfied with the price to sound ratio so far. The "cheaper" ones don't have the exotic growl-pops-gurgles, etc. and the more expensive ones are just that, expensive!

So, after hearing the PSE on sound clips and on peoples cars, I think I'd like to add that to my car. Also, the on-off button certainly is a plus.

Why is it $500.00 more in parts alone to add it to a non "s" model? And, will the labor charges be higher as well? If so, why?

Please, I am a very non-technical guy. Simpler terms the better for me, if you don't mind.

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

Steve,

Are you around Newport at all during the week? Occasionally I'm up in Santa Monica a couple times a week also.

You can drive my car or I could of course buzz the tower wherever you happen to be.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Steve,

Are you around Newport at all during the week? Occasionally I'm up in Santa Monica a couple times a week also.

You can drive my car or I could of course buzz the tower wherever you happen to be.
Rarely am I in the OC, but Santa Monica is very do - able. Which exhaust system do you have?

Thanks!

Steve
Old 07-25-2014, 07:37 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Rarely am I in the OC, but Santa Monica is very do - able. Which exhaust system do you have?

Thanks!

Steve

It's an S with PSE.

The base and S sound almost identical with the PSE.

The PSE adds zero Hp or torque. :/

I'll let you know this weekend when I'm up in SM. //
Old 07-25-2014, 07:45 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by MarcusG
It's an S with PSE.

The base and S sound almost identical with the PSE.

The PSE adds zero Hp or torque. :/

I'll let you know this weekend when I'm up in SM. //
Cool, thank you!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:12 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Besides the valves (which I assume could be forced open all the time if someone wanted?) what else does PSE do for an S model? Besides the on/off button. If I got PSE it would always be on, period. That said, when the time comes I think I'll only look at solutions that add power and save weight and the sound will take care of itself. Those huge deadweight side mufflers will have to go.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO I just drove a 2015 C2 at my dealer that had PSE I found it obnoxious and loud and for almost $3k, totally unnecessary. My 2 dents
Old 07-25-2014, 09:24 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by promocop
IMHO I just drove a 2015 C2 at my dealer that had PSE I found it obnoxious and loud and for almost $3k, totally unnecessary. My 2 dents
On this forum, you are definitely in the minority. Most say its a " must have" option. I'm still debating it.

There are less and more expensive options as well. But I think you are of the mindset that the car on its own is plenty loud.

To each their own...
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting the PSE installed on my base C2. It has to be back ordered so hopefully in the next 2 weeks!

The stock sounds nice, but is way tooooo quiet to my liking especially during sporty driving in mountains or highway.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My experience with the Sharkwerks was underwhelming in the car that I drove in. No pops or gurgles, not very loud and not deep.
Sounds like Sharkwerks is just what you need. Give Alex a call - he's great in walking you through their options.

I have a C2. At the time they only had a C2S application, so I switched to the S center exhaust and got the SW side muffler bypass (deletes side mufflers and replaces with a pipe). Super loud, super pops and gurgles when you back off the throttle and when it snaps up gears. Downside was a bit of boom in the cabin between 2,300 - 2,700 revs. I love it!

Subsequent, they have developed something for the C2, I think it leaves the side mufflers and replaces the center with pipe (?). Apparently quieter in the cabin. As I said call / email Alex.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop

On this forum, you are definitely in the minority. Most say its a " must have" option. I'm still debating it.

There are less and more expensive options as well. But I think you are of the mindset that the car on its own is plenty loud.

To each their own...
I actually agree with promocop and I typically had an aftermarket exhaust on every performance car I owned, except the AMG (because it sounds perfect already).
PSE sounds perfect when off (below 3500rpm) it sounds drony when on ( below 3500 rpm). At High RPM its fine but it still misses on delivering a proper tone.
I dont know which aftermarket exhaust has a better tone (not just louder like a sharkwerks bypass).
Nevertheless, I would recommend adding the console switch and then research aftermarket before doing PSE.

I am actually reverse retrofitting to a standard exhaust, from PSE. I rather it be quiet than have the drony PSE tone that forces me to hit the off switch all the time.

I may go aftermarket later, once I hear something in person that sounds right.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lunarx
Someone here will want to swap parts for sure.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:55 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Someone here will want to swap parts for sure.
Do you mean that you heard a good aftermarket exhaust?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:56 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Originally Posted by lunarx
I actually agree with promocop and I typically had an aftermarket exhaust on every performance car I owned, except the AMG (because it sounds perfect already).
PSE sounds perfect when off (below 3500rpm) it sounds drony when on ( below 3500 rpm). At High RPM its fine but it still misses on delivering a proper tone.
I dont know which aftermarket exhaust has a better tone (not just louder like a sharkwerks bypass).
Nevertheless, I would recommend adding the console switch and then research aftermarket before doing PSE.

I am actually reverse retrofitting to a standard exhaust, from PSE. I rather it be quiet than have the drony PSE tone that forces me to hit the off switch all the time.

Did you mean to say: If you dont find an aftermarket exhaust that you like and decide to do PSE, then make sure to add the center console switch?

If not this, then I am really confused!

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 06:21 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Did you mean to say: If you dont find an aftermarket exhaust that you like and decide to do PSE, then make sure to add the center console switch?

If not this, then I am really confused!

Thanks!
I think the switch is a good idea to add, if you want to have more control over low RPM sound levels.

Just saying the PSE center muffler is not all that great sounding.
It's barely OK.
For what people pay to retrofit PSE, its better to put that money towards a nicer sounding aftermatket exhaust.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Lunarx - so you have not found a nice sounding AM exhaust from Fabspeed, AWE, Ark, etc? Also, seems you don't like Sharkwerk?

Quick Reply: Adding PSE to my base 991 (questions)...