Sponsored by:

Door latch plate question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Door latch plate question.

Question regarding the door latch plate, located between the two information plates/stickers at the right edge of the picture below:

Is this normally mounted directly to the frame, or us there normally a rubber(?) "base" between the latch plate and the frame?

I ask because yesterday I noticed that when closing the driver's door, the trailing edge wasn't all the way flush with the side of the car. Upon inspection, it turned out that the latch plate screws were a little loose, and the latch plate could move side to side a little bit. So I swung by the dealer to have things tightened up. When I got the car back, there was a black rubber(?) base between the latch plate and frame that hadn't been there before; the base plate had been mounted directly to the frame. I checked, and the passenger side now has one two, though I don't know if it was there before.

So I'm wondering - was the rubber base something that Porsche forgot to install during the build, something they recommend as a fix in the event this condition comes up, or something my dealer came up with?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

My latches have rubber gaskets on both sides. Looks like they forgot to install on your build!
Old 07-24-2014, 04:46 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
My latches have rubber gaskets on both sides. Looks like they forgot to install on your build!
Yikes! I hope they didn't leave out anything important!

Here's a picture of how it looks now. (The black gasket was not there when I took the car in, at least not on the driver's side. Don't know about the passenger side, which has one now.) If you look close, you can see the scrape marks in the paint from when it was metal-to-paint and moving around.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:25 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Yikes! I hope they didn't leave out anything important!

Here's a picture of how it looks now. (The black gasket was not there when I took the car in, at least not on the driver's side. Don't know about the passenger side, which has one now.) If you look close, you can see the scrape marks in the paint from when it was metal-to-paint and moving around.
Hmm. Mine has the rubber gasket on both sides.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Are you sure the motor is there?

Beautiful car, BTW.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:13 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a call for a "campaign" on my car. 2013 C4S. They told me it was for rubber gaskets around the door hinges or something. I'm wondering if this is what they were talking about...
I'm scheduled to bring it in next week, although someone ran over my car, so that has superseded this campaign...it's currently getting checked out by the insurance co. I will check on my latches and let you know what they look like.
Anyone else get a recent campaign notice?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM
ruhlich
Instructor

Just went out to the garage and checked mine. Rubber is there. April, 2013 build.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:19 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

So I just checked mine too...rubber is there. It's more like a hard plastic piece. I inspected it and there are no signs of failure or breakage. Also, the latch piece appears well fixed with no signs of loosening.
When I bring it in for the campaign I'll ask again what it's all about.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:14 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm. I think the door latch gasket dude was distracted that day by the horn installer girl (y'all know what I'm talking about).

Why is the doorjam in your pic red by the way?

Quick Reply: Door latch plate question.