Sponsored by:

Can you track a cab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Can you track a cab?

I know I've seen a thread discussing this, just can't seem to find it (someone feel free to link it). Given it didn't pop up when I searched I also figured this post would help others in the future.

What was the ultimate conclusion on tracking a cab - not at all, only at PCA DE, anywhere no issues?

And while I have your attention, am I correct in you cannot get SPASM on a cab?

Was just noodling if I'd ever want to get a cab as I've never had one. I currently have a coupe and have started to do some AX (which I really love) and will do some DE to see if I enjoy that also.

Not looking to start another coupe vs cab thread (I bet that is where the answer to the above question is!) just mulling over the thought of owning one. Other's comments on them being quiet inside with the top up also piqued my interest.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:14 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

You can totally track a Cab.

I've seen it done many times.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:16 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry Dalema.

I couldn't help myself.

I'm sure someone that knows ALL the rules will chime in.

Personally, I have seen cabriolets on a road course. Most had roll bars. though.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

996 and 997 cabs have pop up roll bars so I am pretty sure the 991s do too. They are allowed at pca events. they are heavier so not as good as coupe but 997 on cabs are pretty stiff chassis
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

In general yes, you can. But if you love autocross, then you better love top down driving a lot more. Because its gonna cost you, big time. Literally.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 130 Posts

I've tracked mine. It was not allowed in the unlimited class, which was fine with me, so I was the the 2nd group. Had a great time, ran with the top up and down, put down some pretty competitive times. Just do it!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct that you can't get SPASM on a Cab. PDCC is ok though. The 991 Cabs do have "pop up" roll bars also.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:11 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

You can track a convertible depending on the track itself, and the organizer rules. Some tracks do not allow non-roll bar convertibles , pop-ups or not. Other tracks have no restrictions. It's not the ideal vehicle to take out however for a few reasons:

* Appx 45% - 50% less stiff in the chassis and the Targa is no better.

* Weighs more than a coupe

* If you do track it, always put the top down as if you go up aggressively on the curbing and activate the pop-ups they will smash the window and destroy the fabric top.

I've had both coupes and cabs and enjoy putting the top down on my 991S, I rarely go with the top up. However if I were going to do frequent track or autocross days a non-sunroof coupe is hands-down the winner.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
You can track a convertible depending on the track itself, and the organizer rules. Some tracks do not allow non-roll bar convertibles , pop-ups or not. Other tracks have no restrictions. It's not the ideal vehicle to take out however for a few reasons:

* Appx 45% - 50% less stiff in the chassis and the Targa is no better.

* Weighs more than a coupe

* If you do track it, always put the top down as if you go up aggressively on the curbing and activate the pop-ups they will smash the window and destroy the fabric top.

I've had both coupes and cabs and enjoy putting the top down on my 991S, I rarely go with the top up. However if I were going to do frequent track or autocross days a non-sunroof coupe is hands-down the winner.
do the pop ups actually fire if the 'hard'-top is in the 'up' position on a 991?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,864 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
do the pop ups actually fire if the 'hard'-top is in the 'up' position on a 991?
I assume they do as there is a reference in the Owner's Manual to the effect it will destroy the rear glass window. The Aston Martin convertibles are the same way (I instruct locally for AM and its curious how many owners want to run DE days with the top up). When i was an instructor for "The Mercedes AMG Driving Experience" about 10 years ago, I had one of the C-Class AMG Cabs out at Summit Point with a student and was driving it pretty hard (that's what we were supposed to do) and fired off the pop-ups on T5 when I blitzed the curbing. It was like a giant spring going off. We had the top down, so no damage to it. So you guys that instruct, tell your students to drop the top at the track!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I assume they do as there is a reference in the Owner's Manual to the effect it will destroy the rear glass window. The Aston Martin convertibles are the same way (I instruct locally for AM and its curious how many owners want to run DE days with the top up). When i was an instructor for "The Mercedes AMG Driving Experience" about 10 years ago, I had one of the C-Class AMG Cabs out at Summit Point with a student and was driving it pretty hard (that's what we were supposed to do) and fired off the pop-ups on T5 when I blitzed the curbing. It was like a giant spring going off. We had the top down, so no damage to it. So you guys that instruct, tell your students to drop the top at the track!
I honestly find that hard to believe since the 991 is a "hard" soft top (magnesium panels covered with canvas) ... but I guess if the owners manual says they destroy the window then I guess that they do ... not really a feature I think is that great especially if they are likely to fire in a situation where the car is actually not rolling!

Are you sure this reference is in a 991 manual, and not a Boxster?
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcusG
You can totally track a Cab.

I've seen it done many times.

Hehe
Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

You can track a convertible depending on the track itself, and the organizer rules. Some tracks do not allow non-roll bar convertibles , pop-ups or not. Other tracks have no restrictions.
Okay - this must be what I was recalling. Seems that PCA events would be safe then. Realistically it would probably only be Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Infineon.

While I do enjoy AX - it's mainly for fun and it probably wouldn't make too much difference to my times currently - ha. Seems like some version of a Cayman is the best suited for AX.

Thanks for the thoughts - just kicking it around.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dalema
Okay - this must be what I was recalling. Seems that PCA events would be safe then. Realistically it would probably only be Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Infineon.

While I do enjoy AX - it's mainly for fun and it probably wouldn't make too much difference to my times currently - ha. Seems like some version of a Cayman is the best suited for AX.

Thanks for the thoughts - just kicking it around.
Nurburgring lets you lap the Nordscheife top down with nothing but a baseball cap and a smile for protection!

Quick Reply: Can you track a cab?