Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be the best thread on RL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:49 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Could this be the best thread on RL?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html

Consider the evidence!

1. Factory break-in quote! "use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.”

2. Revolutionary thinking!
As my mechanical engineering skills are _really_ limited, I prefer to take this issue purely from a logical point of view. It really is simple:

#1: if Porsche wanted us to do the traditional break-in/babying, then one of the many computers in the car would enforce/remind us to do so.

#2: Porsche does not want bad publicity about their reliability and they do want repeat customers. A happy customer is more likely to stay loyal to the brand than one aggravated by ongoing issues. So their interest is aligned with ours on this one: a long-living happy engine.

#3: Because of #1 AND #2, we can conclude that Porsche does not know about any issues with using the engine at high (=normal operating range) RPMs from day one. (= If they knew about any such problems, they would limit RPMs in software, as that is a practically free yet much more foolproof way of doing this than asking customers to behave themselves...
3. Photo's! https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8250...ery-diary.html

4. Wanderfalke! "Best post ever"!

Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Chuck have you broken in a new 911 motor in the past 20 plus years? I don't think so. Put your $149,500 where your mouth is. Stop beating a dead horse.

I gladly followed the owner's manual. Not one quote from one factory rep.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Off topic! The subject is best threads! Present your evidence or go home!
Or better yet, study up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denialism
Old 07-23-2014, 06:13 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Chuck, are Walgreens and CVS closed again?

Answer the question. What are you so afraid of?
Old 07-23-2014, 06:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Obvious conclusions based on the evidence presented:

Porsche's are red,
German sky's are blue,
Any break in theory hangs by a thread
And Rennnlist does too.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

breaking in a new engine and breaking in a new transmission / differential's gear teeth are two different things ...two schools of thought on the former but not on the latter !

why should one care what someone else does with their car anyway..it not like you are gonna buy their car down the road

another reason to avoid used cars ...you never know how many are put to bed wet all the time

Last edited by MKW; 07-23-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuck911
Off topic! The subject is best threads! Present your evidence or go home!
If you're serious about best threads, it is this one hands down:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

I can't imagine there is another thread on here that has been so helpful to so many (121,192 views!) as we've negotiated our way through all the permutations possible on first the online configurator, then the dealer's.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by clangpap
If you're serious about best threads, it is this one hands down:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

I can't imagine there is another thread on here that has been so helpful to so many (121,192 views!) as we've negotiated our way through all the permutations possible on first the online configurator, then the dealer's.
Yeah, I knew that one would come up. Eduardo's is indeed, hands down, the most informative on RL. Where balaclava steals the show is not just the factory quote, for all its irrefutably impeccable German precision. (Although, you got to admit, that Authorized Porsche Factory Representative quote is a genuine !stop the presses! scoop of the highest order.) Nor any of the other stuff. Its the combination.

But still, valid point. Eduardo's a class of his own. Consider it revised to, could balaclava's be the best non-Admin-stickied thread on RL?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with chuck on this one. Let's face reality! If porsche wanted a real break in, they wouldn't let the longshore men drive my car like it was stolen for the first 14 miles. 9mpg when I picked it up from the dealer. Really? What do you get on the track? Oh yeah. 9mpg. So basically from the time the car leaves the factory, it's driven like it's meant to be. Until it gets into the buyers hands and then it's supposed to be babied for 2000 miles? If they really wanted that, there would be software for that limit. Even my sales guy says drive it gently till 100 miles on it and then you can do whatever you want.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt that there is an automobile engine being built today, that if given regular maintainence, won't go over 200,000 miles. Fiat might make me a liar.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Weim911
...Even my sales guy says drive it gently till 100 miles on it and then you can do whatever you want.
Sales people are universally renowned for their impeccable technical/engineering credentials...

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I doubt that there is an automobile engine being built today, that if given regular maintainence, won't go over 200,000 miles. Fiat might make me a liar.
Actually, back in the day (before they were run out of the country on a rail) I owned three (two new, one slightly used) FIATs, while two close friends each had a couple as well. One of those friends treated his new '73 124 Spyder just like that gorilla in the old American Tourister TV ads used to treat that suitcase. He had no feel for mechanical devices whatsoever. Truthfully, we all pounded the whiz out of our engines and, to a lesser extent, the entire cars as well. We never had a single problem with any of our engines or clutches, though my 850 Spider's tranny would eat its Porsche syncros like popcorn. The one failing that all of our FIATs exhibited: rust. I was present when my new '74 X1/9 arrived at the dealership. I watched them pull it off of the transporter, and when the truck driver opened the driver's door to climb out, I noticed a nickel-sized spot of rust on the door, right at the bottom of the window...not a rust stain, mind you. We're talking missing primer/paint, with solid rust well into the metal. So yes, FIATs were far from perfect...but they get somewhat of a bum rap for mechanical unreliability.

Last edited by 1analguy; 07-31-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Not this again...

Old 07-24-2014, 01:05 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
Not this again...

Why are you even remotely surprised.

History is your greatest teacher Grasshopper...
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Weim911
I agree with chuck on this one. Let's face reality! If porsche wanted a real break in, they wouldn't let the longshore men drive my car like it was stolen for the first 14 miles. 9mpg when I picked it up from the dealer. Really? What do you get on the track? Oh yeah. 9mpg. So basically from the time the car leaves the factory, it's driven like it's meant to be. Until it gets into the buyers hands and then it's supposed to be babied for 2000 miles? If they really wanted that, there would be software for that limit. Even my sales guy says drive it gently till 100 miles on it and then you can do whatever you want.
The 9 mpg is not necessarily and indicator of how hard the car has been driven for those 14 miles. Since the computer is calculating mpg even when the car is just sitting at idle, the car will most likely show very low mpg for those first miles because of the percentage of time idling and stop and go driving during transit around the port, and even PDI and test drive by the dealer.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The 9 mpg is not necessarily and indicator of how hard the car has been driven for those 14 miles. Since the computer is calculating mpg even when the car is just sitting at idle, the car will most likely show very low mpg for those first miles because of the percentage of time idling and stop and go driving during transit around the port, and even PDI and test drive by the dealer.
I know one of the longshore men in brunswick ga. They drive the **** out of every car that comes to port. They even drive them in chains of 3-4 cars at high speed to get them offloaded faster. It's a blast he says.

Quick Reply: Could this be the best thread on RL?