Sponsored by:

Just got my first 911 -- a total snore

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:45 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by wormman
Having been a long time Porsche owner since 1978 and owning and selling a 991 I can concur with the OP. The 911 has become a bit boring and main stream. I sold it and bought a Rossion Q1.
I have no idea what a Rossion is? It is an odd modified 991?

The 991 Porsche PDK is not for everyone. It's a basic daily driver for those with another few early cars with no radio, p/s, power windows or brakes. The older 2.4L cars were lucky to get 15 mpg.

The old ones also didn't have GPS, tire temps, or satellite radio. I like them, and they sure as hell are worth a lot more now than a few years ago.

It's nice to drive a car with a beautiful interior with the luxury options.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:31 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You paid $100,000 for a kit car?
Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 AM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Apparently someone is not doing it right. Not sure who...

http://m.motortrend.com/features/per...t_drivers_car/

Here's 2013's ranking, too.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...r/viewall.html
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I have no idea what a Rossion is? It is an odd modified 991?
It's a Noble with a different badge.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I have no idea what a Rossion is?
Originally Posted by bccars
It's a Noble with a different badge.
Its a bespoke kit car so gets a tubular frame chassis with GRP body & ford V6 turbo engine getrag g/box... Noble is a great track toy. Rossion got the licence from discontinued Noble M400, an engine makeover and electric windows & comfort interior - very odd car!
Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Sterling911 haha! I wonder what happened with him.

The 2012 STI I owned was probably the most fun car I've driven on shoddy Midwestern roads. It's got that 'cheap enough not to worry about abusing it' feel. I saw a new 2015 on the road and it looked fantastic - much better than the photos would suggest.
I'm dead serious when I say this. You missed the car that would be perfect for you. MT 981 Cayman S or GTS. Porsche would even consider you their target audience.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 AM
smithvmi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're bored, you're not going fast enough or turning hard enough. You bought a car with a huge performance envelope, did you expect to be thrilled driving to whole foods?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:47 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

"That's what I'm talking about! Right there! Holy cow, it makes all these other cars seem stupid! This 911 is so good, it just blows my mind! What a great driving car!" quote from Randy Pobst

Love it.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:32 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by smithvmi
If you're bored, you're not going fast enough or turning hard enough. You bought a car with a huge performance envelope, did you expect to be thrilled driving to whole foods?
Right on the mark !
The 991 has gotten so good at "the other things" while still being a wonderfull sportscar that people start to complain about crap like, it's too big, it's too comfy, my hands don't get numb anymore from the steering chatter, blablabla, get over it. Being good at the other things doesn't exclude nor take away from it being a great sportscar by any means !
Old 07-29-2014, 11:13 AM
rlhyde
Advanced

Stop feeding the troll!
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I am going to go against the grain on this one and actually agree with the OP on this. When I first drove the 991 (right after a 997) it felt to "easy" to drive. If you are going anywhere near the speed limit in these cars it does feel a bit boring. But lets be honest, when have most of the people on this board drove the speed limit? 55mph on a highway is less than 1/3 of what the car can do, there is probably no way for the car to make you feel all tingly at that speed without 150mph feeling like the wheels are going to fall off.

I think it actually takes a little while to appreciate the 991 and all it can do. I actually used to live in same area that the OP does (Chicago) and the other problem there is all of the straight, flat roads. Go for a cruise up to Wisconsin, find some rolling, twisty roads and enjoy. Also, I didn't get the 991 for just its sports car character - I think that would actually be a mistake. There are tons of other cars that are just sports / track cars at all sorts of prices less than a 911 from a Miata, S2000, Exige, Cayman R. If you want something reliable and fast that you can daily drive, carry a few suitcases, take on a cross country road trip, throw your kids in the back, get decent gas mileage, get groceries, drive in all weather including snow, carry a kayak on the roof AND take to the track- then get a 991.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM
aml161
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps total snore and boring aren't quite the right words to convey a pretty spot-on observation.

The car is supremely capable at a lot of what it does while also doing a lot of GT things right...way more than it ever has. It's very well engineered to create a certain character.

Let's say the new Carreras are like a great sipping tequila had neat. Smooth, a little spicy, and if you push it you'll quickly see its intoxicating values. (I'm not talking about doing shots. I'm talking about high quality tequilas meant to be enjoyed.)

But dammit, sometimes though you just want a margarita. Drop the sipping and subtlety and have some fun. Salt, lime, hell...drink it off of girls' bellies with questionable histories. That party time, we-brought-the-limes character comes with the GT3 series.

You can get drunk either way, but depending on the individual, one is a lot more fun than the other. OP, it sounds like you are of the margarita variety, and I completely agree that the CS can't deliver on that front. If money isn't an issue, instead of going back to the air-cooled classics, why don't you get the more aggressive (and even more capable) nature of a GT3/2/GTS and see if that blends together better?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:21 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bccars
The 991 has gotten so good at "the other things" while still being a wonderfull sportscar that people start to complain about crap like, it's too big, it's too comfy, my hands don't get numb anymore from the steering chatter, blablabla, get over it. Being good at the other things doesn't exclude nor take away from it being a great sportscar by any means !
That is the best description of 991 I have read.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please let this thread never end.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:43 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

It's like a hot chick that you're super excited to have sex with until you get in bed with her and she just lays there like a slug.

Originally Posted by kosmo
Why did you opt for the PDK instead of the stick?
I think he did not want to upset the slug!!

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Cars are like women, create the right setting and driver and they will deliver.

Originally Posted by Bacura
Step one---Sell the 991
Step two---Buy a Ferrari 458 Speciale/Mclaren 650S
Step three---enjoy
Step four---if you are still unhappy try a P1

I rented one from Avis for three days while I was in Germany. The autobahn conceals what I view as the cars deficiencies.
Is that before or after the police in their BMWs were chasing you?

Every female is in love with the car.

Originally Posted by mi650
Ah, I see. Avis dropped you on the Autobahn, then picked you up from there. You never drove it around town.

THANKS BOYS for my entertainment for the evening - YOU ROCK

Quick Reply: Just got my first 911 -- a total snore