Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electric assisted power steering option??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:17 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric assisted power steering option??

Hello all;
Would value input on inexpensive option that requires no colour choice or special optioning code on a new 991 custom order; electric assisted power steering. Mind you, I’ve never owned a 911 of any vintage; only 11 different 356 in almost all flavours. My history provides no help making this choice. I won’t rally or race this car & I consider the PCCB brakes a useless option for normal driving & I don’t like yellow calipers. No amount of dealer testing, European rental & reading all the editorial comment on this subject is very helpful. Even asked if ordered could it be ‘turned off’ or bypassed if I found it annoying. Answer: sure but you void every warranty. Guess that answer was actually no. Normal driving would be along Georgia East Coast & 2 roundtrips between Ga & NM each year. Thanks for any thoughtful input.
Ciao;
Marko
Old 07-22-2014, 04:10 AM
Mark1996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkoPolo
Hello all;
Would value input on inexpensive option that requires no colour choice or special optioning code on a new 991 custom order; electric assisted power steering. Mind you, I’ve never owned a 911 of any vintage; only 11 different 356 in almost all flavours. My history provides no help making this choice. I won’t rally or race this car & I consider the PCCB brakes a useless option for normal driving & I don’t like yellow calipers. No amount of dealer testing, European rental & reading all the editorial comment on this subject is very helpful. Even asked if ordered could it be ‘turned off’ or bypassed if I found it annoying. Answer: sure but you void every warranty. Guess that answer was actually no. Normal driving would be along Georgia East Coast & 2 roundtrips between Ga & NM each year. Thanks for any thoughtful input.
Ciao;
Marko
I assume you are referring to the "power steering plus" option. Some people on here will tell you that they hardly even notice the effect of this option while others will tell you that it ruins the steering.

I purchased my 991 off of the dealer's lot and it has the "power steering plus" option. My experience with it is that it makes the steering lighter at low speeds but otherwise does not cause any ill effects.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't turn PSP on and off. I don't have it and the steering is not heavy at low speeds... It just firms up as you would expect.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:07 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have it and don't notice it as a negative. It's not like the bmw f10 steering that is super light.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello all;
Would value input on inexpensive option that requires no colour choice or special optioning code on a new 991 custom order; electric assisted power steering.
I think you need to clarify your above sentence, my take is that you want to order a base 991 without any additional "fancy" options such as power steering plus or ceramic brakes .... is that right?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello all;
Ciao;
Marko
If you are referring to Power Steering Plus, we didn't order it because of some mixed reviews on here. My wife drives the car more than I do (every day) and has never commented on any parking challenges due to heavy steering. As she is a small person I would conclude that it isn't a "must have" option if you're looking to save a few dollars. Others who have it on their cars have posted that it doesn't negatively impact their driving experience so it sounds like there is no need to avoid a lot car so equipped, but I would not include it on a custom order.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've read nothing good about the power steering plus and only a few negative comments.

My car does not have this option and I do not feel that I'm missing anything. The steering effort at low speeds is not bad at all.

Beautiful car there, clangpap.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have it. It "helps" if you do a lot of parallel parking but do you really need it? Probably not.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I have it. It "helps" if you do a lot of parallel parking but do you really need it? Probably not.
I have it. You don't need it. It's a nice feature for parking only - I'm not good at that forwards so it helps me. However. I wish that porsche made this standard as I'm sure it's just software - it could be a button you press on the console to turn on and off
Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Thanks to all for comments. The replies more helpful than all the techno babble mainstream press.
You’re right I perfectly wasn’t clear about my special order intentions, Mondrian. None of my decisions are primarily based on cost or most au current offerings simply for sake of having all the toys.
My brake comment was misleading. I simply meant I won’t race/rally this car & couldn’t imagine requiring PCCB ever).
I do appreciate the comments.
Cheers;
Marko
Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Probably best to put down the spec & options you are looking at and then everyone will chip in with their recommendations. I always think the best starting point is to pin down what you are looking for in a given model - i.e. C2 manual or C2S PDK;
Classic 911 (no rear wiper, no sunroof, sportdesign steering wheel, minimal options)
Functional 911 (rear wiper, sunroof, parking sensors, low option)
Luxury 911 (additional leather trim, cruise control, glass sunroof, folding mirrors, seat ventilation, rear camera)
Sporty 911 (all the performance bells & whistles)
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Excellent suggestion & will do as soon as feel bit more conversant with codes, exceptions, etc. w/o Melissa's handholding. Ripped sleeve off my shirt; caught on stupid coat hook back of drivers seat on test drive so that is coming off even if I have to do it myself! Also with all you experts I need to be prepared for more ridicule than Mrs. Polo has already heaped on!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:44 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

No need for codes just start with the basics;

C2 or the more powerful C2S?
Manual or PDK (auto with paddleshifters)?
Classic, Luxury or Sport trim & options?
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Markopolo - Don't confuse opinion for expertise The configuration phase took me nearly as long as the build/delivery and I've seen many others go through the same experience... It's all part of the fun and the ownership experience. Sure you'll get lots of opinions but that's what the forum is for and where the forum is really helpful is in understanding what some of those config options actually mean/do and what different configs look like. I sure wish I'd joined RL before locking my order as many of my decisions were made 'blind'. Thankfully i didn't miss anything i would consider important but i was damn lucky on a few things i added! Keep asking and keep enjoying the experience!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 AM
MarkoPolo
Track Day

Thanks for encouragement CheekyMonkey & all for the helpful feedback & comments. Who knew when I sold my 356’s I would have a mountain of decisions to make. Was almost spirit crushing selling them. Grew up in 1950’s in back seat of old slugbug, then Ghia's for couple years & for my 7th birthday a nice lightly used 356A with torn top. Be quiet back there you’ll love the ride. So my addiction is genetically inherited I dare say. Over the years I learned to do all my own 356 work (not cosmetic). Had entire garage for workshop, manuals, 2 lifts, & machine shop. Not trying to impress but this is life-style change for me. But we all have to move on in life.

I’m buying my last car & will be my everyday car; but we don’t necessarily go off the island more than few times week. Mrs. Polo has SUVY (Cayenne) she bought off lot so she doesn’t understand or care about any of this. Errands like shopping etc are done with Cayenne or on bikes. So no parallel parking or hanger rash worries.

So here goes basics & few of these facts are in Eduardo’s amazingly bountiful custom order thread:
*MY2015 Targa 4S [PDK or no - that’s hardest decision still – never owned automatic vehicle in my life]
*Power Kit/PCCB package – probably no but not cost issue (wont use either but open to persuasion)
*Custom colour; Oryx White Pearl [C9A 0K01] expensive yes but that’s OK. Yet to find 991 with that paint anywhere to get in person look but still searching. Barring that will go darker. Only other possible second choice in weird colour would be Viloa Metallic (3AE - http://www.elferclassic.de/technik/f...ck_violett.php ) but there’s darker shade haven’t found yet)
*close to full leather interior (based on red/black) w some contrasting colours (seat backs leather covered?)
*Few small picky items that seem to be no problem (so far)
*contrasting seat belts (silver or is that simply awful)
*Premium Package plus 18-way seats
*Rear wiper (heretical)
*mahogany trim (not on center console) wood on 911 – heretical?
*PDDC – yes
*Custom colour gauges (red too dark – see a thread on that issue)
*Sport Chrono Package (still trying to fully understand technical information provided on DVD from Stuttgart; seems like positive but I won’t have that clock bump on dash! So far they say you get the entire package or you get nothing. Weird; much ado about nothing I guess.
*after market wheels likely w colour highlights

There’s my start. This is def fun but I’m trying to minimize any major missteps.

I’m not easily offended so happy to hear any feedback.
Thanks for the patience gentleman (& ladies in deference to at least ‘Suzy from CH’; Lady has excellent taste!)

Cheers;

Marko

Quick Reply: electric assisted power steering option??