Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche vs trailer hitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Yep, if parked stationary, and get hit, not your fault . . . .

Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yep, if parked stationary, and get hit, not your fault . . . .

I bet that bus driver didn't leave a note. - sorry. I couldn't help it. That video was crazy
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
So I really don't see how this could be my fault. Here's the situation:
As usual, I spent a few minutes driving around to find a spot that looked "safe." There wasn't much available, but I found something a few blocks away that was on a quiet street. Picture a house flanked by two driveways. Enough room for three cars. The front and back car were there and the middle spot was open. I parked in the middle spot. Plenty if room both in front and in back. I would not squeeze this car into any spot. It's just not worth it. I figured if the guy in front needed to move, he would pull away (because no one was in front of him because of the driveway) and the guy in back could easily back away and pull off (because no one was in back of him because of the driveway). Therefore, although a middle spot is risky, in this case I thought it was actually safer.
I have to imagine either the guy in front of me accidentally put his car in reverse instead of drive to pull away, or some moron came along who doesn't know how to park and reversed with reckless abandon over my car (maybe he couldn't see the car bc it's so low...although they would have passed it when looking for the spot). In any case, if you can see how that's my fault, I'd be surprised. I clearly place the blame on the coward who hit and run.

I've started the insurance claim. Inspection Thursday and repair likely next week. I will let you all know how it turns out!
OK, there you have it, I totally agree, that would seem like a fairly safe parking spot. The other two cars had an easy exit. Probably some A-hole who came along after the car in front of you left was the culprit.

Again, sorry for all the trouble you've been having. Good luck with getting this resolved.

Little side note. My car is a pleasure vehicle only. I never take it anywhere where I'd have to park it and leave it unattended, such as out to dinner. There are just to many inconsiderate and or terrible drivers out there. It's a bummer I feel this way about using the car, but it's the only way I feel I can keep it safe.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:42 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yep, if parked stationary, and get hit, not your fault . . . . Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbcPS6z0LNo
That's pretty ridiculous! But also very entertaining! Thanks for sharing - got an OMG out of me!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Man Dr. I feel for you. I cant imagine not having a garage and being able to put your baby to bed without having to worry about it!!! the hood is Aluminium, get it fully replaced.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:31 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Just an update on my situation
I brought the car to the adjuster and they agreed that, with the aluminum hood, that it should be fully replaced. So I am set up for next week to have a new hood prepped, painted, and installed. I'm hoping it will look like new!
Good news - I drove it to the appointment, and despite the dent - it still put a smile in my face! I guess I won't get the Kia...
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Glad it's working out & you've been able to forestall Kia-dom. Keep the faith. As long as you have insurance & good artisans to get it back - the good times behind the wheel will easily outweigh the aggravation.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
Just an update on my situation
I brought the car to the adjuster and they agreed that, with the aluminum hood, that it should be fully replaced. So I am set up for next week to have a new hood prepped, painted, and installed. I'm hoping it will look like new!
Good news - I drove it to the appointment, and despite the dent - it still put a smile in my face! I guess I won't get the Kia...
Good choice on the full replacement! It'll look like new.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Not to minimize the situation at all since it just sucks all the way round but If anyone has ever driven a big, lifted 4 wheel drive with a drop hitch can tell you that with or without a loud exhaust or it being a diesel that deep scratch/dent is easy to do without even knowing. The center of the Porsche crest on the hood of the 991 with or without SPASM is right around 26 inch from the deck.

A big truck with a hitch and our nice soft hood.... well that'll scratch that deep like butter and the guy/gal backing up a rig wouldn't even know they did that. They may, but I don't think so. I've been in my Escalade backing up to a 911 and if it didn't have the back up cam you can't even see the 911 from the mirrors. I mean they know your car was there since they must have come and gone before you returned but if one wanted to do that intentional that damage would have been twice as deep and the scratch longer. Looks more like an accident. most big trucks if they are more than a few years old don't have back up cams.

I'm just saying. Don't want you to be paranoid. Unless you know 100% it was intentional why not believe it was an accident.

Glad to hear you're getting a new hood. They can match the black paint and color sand the finish to match the top of the fenders. You will be just fine.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche Approved Collision Centers

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...che/index.html
Old 07-25-2014, 08:10 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I have extensive experience with Cavello's - MB and Porsche, they are without exception the best in PA. Your car won't be back in a week but when you do get it back it'll be perfect. They're separately certified by both MB and Porsche and having gone there for years 10+, the main service provider walked me through MB's inspection process. Simply put a team from Germany shows up and it's a whole day inspection.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

To MarcusG - I do think it was an accident. I am willing to give the guy/girl the benefit of the doubt there. That said, the person didn't leave a note explaining his mistake or leaving contact info...so not only is he/she inept and a poor driver/parker, but also a complete coward.

Anyways...

I have set up an appointment for next week with the local shop that my porsche dealership uses. It is a certified porsche body repair shop. I thought that was going to be great...but you guys have given me food for thought...should I go outside my local region? How hard is it to do a hood over? If it's certified, is that good enough? Or should I go to PA?
Old 07-25-2014, 08:29 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. - the certified "existence" is all I know, the region I don't, so I'm glad to see you went the dealer/certified route.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:13 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Dr. I think that's fine - I would just have a chat with them before they do the work that you want it to be perfect and aren't taking it until it is. When you pick the car up have them take back it up inside the shop and carefully go over it under bright lights -take your time. The most common flaws are orange peel, irregular clear coat depth and overspray - most if not all can be corrected through proper further detailing, just tough stuff to correct on your own. Good luck!!
Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Dr. I think that's fine - I would just have a chat with them before they do the work that you want it to be perfect and aren't taking it until it is. When you pick the car up have them take back it up inside the shop and carefully go over it under bright lights -take your time. The most common flaws are orange peel, irregular clear coat depth and overspray - most if not all can be corrected through proper further detailing, just tough stuff to correct on your own. Good luck!!
Good advice. However WRT the overspray, on a car that new would they really have to "blend" anything assuming it was getting a new hood? That seems like it would add an infinite amount of complexity and risk in an attempt to mitigate a single, minor and small risk.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs trailer hitch