Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Tim Porter
Track Day

Received 47 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove my '97 993 with a manual transmission from Westchester to downtown Manhattan for three years in most weather. It survived, though the clutch wear was accelerated somewhat due to stop and go traffic (so I got a new clutch, no biggie). I bought the car new in 12/96 and still have it in its 17th year and it's thriving. Life's too short, go for it.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
No! Nein! Ist Verboten!

Seriously you know as well as I do that the garage attendants will put a new scuff on it every day. I garaged a car for a couple years in the city and they jam them in so tight it is impossible for them not to damage the cars. Presumably you work in midtown which is going to make it even worse.

There is nothing sadder than a bumper badger. That is what you will be forced to resort to.

You know that pitiful expression on a dog that has to wear one of those cone things? Would you wish that upon a dog? Would you do that to your anni edition?

Seriously, Manhattan is where cars go to die. Park it at the station instead and take the train in. Plus pulling out of the lot with sport exhaust on reminds you why you subject yourself to work every day.

OK, this made me laugh!! Mainly because of this:

Meet Thor.

To the OP, I drive mine as much as I can, but would never hand the key over to a valet/parking attendant.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:37 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Aw poor guy! Have you tried dinovite? Worked miracles with my cat and my moms dog. He wore the cone of Shame on and off for years and is now off it.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was after he was clipped a couple years ago. He broke 3 of them.

But yes, I've tried Dynovite. We went thru 1 box, and it didn't help with the gastro-intestinal issues.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 266 Posts

Just do it. I DD my C4S in NYC and, if you are careful and mindful of where you park it I think that you can do so successfully. My only concern would be if you need to be mobile in snow... the RWD 911-50th might not be the best for that.

I did the same with my RS4 and only had one little bumper nick in 5 years (and that was street parked in Manhattan and BK regularly).

Enjoy the car!
Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

If you lease, go ahead and drive it in.

If you own it and have OCD and really care about your car, don't do it. The amount of dings, dents, scratches, etc. will drive you crazy. Plus be prepared for potential large repair bills with all the potholes and lousy roads.

If you own and don't have OCD, then go ahead.

Love driving my Porsche, but driving it the city in bumper to bumper traffic is just no fun at all.

True story, a friend of mine decided to keep his vintage BMW in the city for the summer. Aside from the chips in the doors and various scratches from the parking garages, he would always see footprints on his nice leather seats. One day when he went to see where they were parking his car, he figured it out. Cars were parked so close together that attendant could not open the door to get out, so he climbed out the window.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. That's my plan. I'm 65 and I'm enjoying my car every day I can. My wife wants to get a Turbo S when we turn 70. I hope she doesn't forget!
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM
toper
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
True story, a friend of mine decided to keep his vintage BMW in the city for the summer. Aside from the chips in the doors and various scratches from the parking garages, he would always see footprints on his nice leather seats. One day when he went to see where they were parking his car, he figured it out. Cars were parked so close together that attendant could not open the door to get out, so he climbed out the window.
I shuddered when I read this...did your friend say/do anything?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Fowwiee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
If you lease, go ahead and drive it in.

If you own it and have OCD and really care about your car, don't do it. The amount of dings, dents, scratches, etc. will drive you crazy. Plus be prepared for potential large repair bills with all the potholes and lousy roads.

If you own and don't have OCD, then go ahead.

Love driving my Porsche, but driving it the city in bumper to bumper traffic is just no fun at all.

I live inside manhattan, so I have no choice but to leave my GTR (waiting for my 15 GT3) to be valet parked.

My experience is that it really depends on which garage you leave your car to. My current garage parked my car for the last 12 months, and they did not put a single scratch on it. Get to know the guys at the garage, be friendly and they will care for the car.

However, I have been to a few garages where I know that they have driven around in my car (I have a GPS tracker). Lucky nothing happened, and I did contact the garage management!

There is one thing that I do now and seems to help. whenever I am parking at a new garage, I will take pictures my car, in front of the attendant. I also take a log book and note down mileage, time and name of the attendant that's parking your car.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by toper
I shuddered when I read this...did your friend say/do anything?
Oh yes, he said something and went to management. They denied it and said he was crazy and refused to do anything. Obviously he did not park there anymore, but damage was done.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mi650
OK, this made me laugh!! Mainly because of this:

Meet Thor.

To the OP, I drive mine as much as I can, but would never hand the key over to a valet/parking attendant.
Wow! My service dog is an American Mastiff named 'Thor'...
Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Before I retired, I drove my 911's daily. But, I didn't have to turn it over to some parking lot jockey. That would concern me. You should enjoy your car and I agree no need to let it sit in your home garage and depreciate without you enjoying it.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Apparently this would be the most acceptable approach for most.
Name:  index.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  9.6 KB
Old 07-17-2014, 07:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

LOL duxsi !
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Parking spaces are premium commodities, not only in NYC, but in other countries as well. As such, parking attendants have to park cars as close as possible.

Quick Reply: I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911