Sponsored by:

I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

No! Nein! Ist Verboten!

Seriously you know as well as I do that the garage attendants will put a new scuff on it every day. I garaged a car for a couple years in the city and they jam them in so tight it is impossible for them not to damage the cars. Presumably you work in midtown which is going to make it even worse.

There is nothing sadder than a bumper badger. That is what you will be forced to resort to.

You know that pitiful expression on a dog that has to wear one of those cone things? Would you wish that upon a dog? Would you do that to your anni edition?

Seriously, Manhattan is where cars go to die. Park it at the station instead and take the train in. Plus pulling out of the lot with sport exhaust on reminds you why you subject yourself to work every day.

Last edited by Grunty; 03-27-2015 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:47 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's his version of tough-love.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
My wife's cousin drove her 997 Carrera daily from Ft. Lee to Manhattan.
I saw the car new and I saw it after a year's worth of commute and the damage it sustained in that short time almost brought me to tears.
If you care about your Porsche and take pride in it's appearance you will come to regret your decision.
But treating it like a garage queen and not driving it will make me regret the decision after a year as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kosmo
no problems, and congrads. just grease the parking attendant often.
You can't. The parking attendants are all basically minimum wage plus tips. It's a different guy each time. They are dealing with a massive volume of cars to move around very quickly and really don't have time to be careful.

Never park in manhattan. Just don't do it, ever.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But treating it like a garage queen and not driving it will make me regret the decision after a year as well.
Then drive it to secaucus station ( or it's equivalent) and train it from there...... Just don't take the car over a bridge or through a tunnel!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:29 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

No one is ever going to think on their deathbed "man, I wish I didn't drive my 911 so much"

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Saw a double page ad in the PCA mag recently full of 70's 80's and 90's 911's, many with 4 digits on the odometer. Made me sick thinking about it. What a worthless waste.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
My wife's cousin drove her 997 Carrera daily from Ft. Lee to Manhattan.
I saw the car new and I saw it after a year's worth of commute and the damage it sustained in that short time almost brought me to tears.
If you care about your Porsche and take pride in it's appearance you will come to regret your decision.
I hear you. It is a brutal place. I think it can be done though. I kept an RS5 perfect for one year of commuting. The garage I use at work is very good. I know all the guys and they all take the job seriously. Granted, I never much left the RS5 anywhere other than this work garage and my home garage.

I'm striving to reach a place of full use, experience and memories, with at the same time maximum possible care, so long as the care does not limit experience. Both of which have to be balanced with worry. It's a tricky equation, but I do think it can be done. I got a GTI to commute in, but I desire to get back to one car I know and use well. It's tough to bond with the car when I only take it out on weekends and a couple track days per year.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I lived or worked in NYC, I would NOT own a Porsche. Period. These cars are meant to be DRIVEN. Buy a Smart car (!!) or a utilitarian vehicle (preferably used) for the city .......
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

I used to park three cars in three different garages in the city. It is a tough place to own nice cars, but it only makes the passion more hardcore. Despite congested roads, potholes that eat wheels and ridiculous speed limits, we do find places to drive them.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

With the new network of speed cameras and citywide 25 mph speed limit coming, driving in the city is going to be even more hellish.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:11 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, keep it in your garage and sell it to the next owner in absolutely pristine condition.

Listen to yourselves people. It's only a CAR!!!
Get some perspective and applaud the man for actually driving his car.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grunty
With the new network of speed cameras and citywide 25 mph speed limit coming, driving in the city is going to be even more hellish.
This could be the bigger issue. I just got two tickets in NY. Both of which I felt were not justified. At least not to the degree they claimed. One estimated my speed. The first ticket was over the point limit on it's own. I had to get a lawyer. The new Mayor just had a 20 day target speeding program as well. This has in a perverse way factored into my desire to take the 911 into the city.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:56 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

To those saying go for it:

He is asking for an opinion on driving his car specifically to work in Manhattan. Specifically about parking it there.

It will end in tears, it just will.

It's not just a car, it's a 50th anniversary 911 bought new and costing around 125-150k. Clearly he deep down thinks it is probably unwise to drive it to work in the city otherwise he wouldn't have made the post.

It's going to get beaten up and he knows it.
He also knows that this is a car that costs more than 80% of American households earn on a pre-tax basis annually.

Does a car deserve respect? Probably not, it's just a thing.

But it seems disrespectful, to me, of those who dream someday of being able to afford such an outrageous luxury, to treat it cavalierly. Even more so of those who are struggling to just feed their kids.

I am sorry if that seems harsh, but it is, humbly, my feeling about this.

And I do know which I speak of having lived and worked and owned cars in Manhattan for a decade or so.

High horse dismounted, moving on now.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

^^^I would agree with you if you also mentioned the same can be said about owning a 911 altogether. It's a commodity that you do not need,you can live without,whether you daily drive it or keep in the garage. You've still " wasted " the money on the car while that family is struggling to feed their children.

Just sayin'...
Old 07-11-2014, 06:26 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Is owning something nice, regardless of your relative financial status, inherently wasteful?Yep, but we all are entitled to enjoy life to the extent we can.

Lighting your cigar with a Benjamin is just plain wrong, though. Intentionally thrashing a special thing is not too different.

Quick Reply: I've decided to sell my other cars and daily drive the 911