Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stumble on Roll Out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a thought related to that- does your PSE button actually work? The vacuum valve that controls the exhaust has been known to fail. From what I know of the PSE, when it is on the valves are open at idle, closed until 3-4k and then open again. If the valves failed, they would be open the whole time, which at that low rpm would reduce torque maybe just enough to throw off the PDK, just like what is happening with the aftermarket xpipe.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried putting the car in sports plus and manual mode to see if that would alleviate the problem. I ask because that because it would dial back the PSM . Everyone here is a PDK owner(this thread}? I do not have PSE but I assume there is enough difference in sound that it would be obvious if it were activated.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
Has anyone tried putting the car in sports plus and manual mode to see if that would alleviate the problem. I ask because that because it would dial back the PSM . Everyone here is a PDK owner(this thread}? I do not have PSE but I assume there is enough difference in sound that it would be obvious if it were activated.
You do not have PSE, does your car stumble WF?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke I
You do not have PSE, does your car stumble WF?
My C2S did not stumble before I installed PSE and still doesn't stumble. So, I don't think that are related.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Magnus - any update from your end?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Powereng
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wanted to bump this and see if anyone ever found a cure?
Old 07-26-2015, 08:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

There is no cure. Turns out the stumble cars all got the baby it low rev break-in. At which point cognitive dissonance kicks in and….. crickets.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:56 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I um bought my car with 2600 miles on it likely just driven down the driveway. Mine is doing it exactly as described in these posts and 6speed. Just read 60 pages of literally nothing.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:08 AM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Subscribed. I'm looking forward to the resolution since mine does the exact same thing since day 1. I always wondered how this car can do 0-60 under 4 seconds while hesitating like that...

Originally Posted by Magnus357
I have a 2014 991S PDK. It's developed an issue that I likely need to just go to the dealer for, but wanted to ask if it was common.

Occasionally from a dead stop, when I apply the gas the RPMs rise and then the car stumbles as if on a manual car you either let the clutch out too fast or gave it too little gas. Of course I compensate by giving more throttle, then once the engine recovers it revs very quickly.

I can't really determine if it's a cold/hot thing. I've had it happen in normal and sport mode. It's happened when I'm trying to smoothly accelerate and when I've given ~1/2 throttle.

It's kinda dangerous. A couple of times I've pulled out with plenty of distance to cross a one way street by my house, but the car bogs, hangs for a second or two, THEN goes. Which when your car has moved into traffic, is not a fun thing to happen.

Is this a common issue?

UPDATE

I finally had time to bring the car to the dealer.

Turns out my fears about the issue not being replicatable were unfounded. The dealer definitely identified the issue. At first, they questioned me about where I bought gas. They also indicated that they had tested the octane. I buy mostly Shell and of course always use the good 93 we get in Texas.

The service writer first took a stab at replacing wheel speed sensors. That was yesterday. I called today and they said they're waiting for a crankshaft sensor, so I'm thinking the wheel speed sensors didn't do the business.

The sensor won't be available at the dealership until Monday and I'm out of the country until Wednesday. I'll update this thread as soon as I get the car back.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoTexas
Subscribed. I'm looking forward to the resolution since mine does the exact same thing since day 1. I always wondered how this car can do 0-60 under 4 seconds while hesitating like that...
Mine's doing it too. Very intermittent, but exactly as described.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There is no cure. Turns out the stumble cars all got the baby it low rev break-in. At which point cognitive dissonance kicks in and….. crickets.
Darn... I must have missed the class which explained how mechanical conformity issues could lead to binary on-off behaviour... Seems so counter intuitive... But as it's you I will trust you with my prize possessions in future and break the next one in like I stole it... with cognitive dissonance of course...
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Huh?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:47 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

I'm coming up on the 35K mile mark so I added some Techron fuel injector cleaner on my last refuel so I can go through the tank before my next oil change.

Drove all weekend (400 miles) in sport mode with no hesitation and power on demand..... the car felt fantastic.

For those with hesitation try some and see if it goes away.

Does anyone know of an upgrade for the 991's coil packs or spark plugs?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:21 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Does it happen when the auto stop/start is turned off? If you try to take off just as the car decides to shut down the engine, it gets real unhappy for a second.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 AM
mmaturo
Racer

I have not ever had the start stop function on after my test drive before I bought the car.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble on Roll Out