Engine Stumble on Roll Out

Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

My13

June build so almost a 14.

14k miles

No software updates since Jan. of this year.

No stumble issues whatsoever.

No throttle hesitation at all between 2,300 and 2,800 rpm as reported by others.

I've been told by a friend in Stuttgart who is a VP of Engineering with MBZ who has friends that are engineers at Porsche that almost every driveability issue that comes up these days are software/engine management update related. Not mechanical.

He also told me with some dismay that there are terrible losses in communication with service managers at dealerships. Mostly the frustration is on the German side with US dealership service techs not being educated or have enough experience with their own products. Maddening for owners who have driveability issues like this that should be simple to correct but that the procedure gets mis managed on our end.

After reading another thread like this I think there should be a sticky created where we can report back on dealership success or failures so that we have some options on what dealer to take our cars to if we have the option when distance isn't an issue.

We all know there are some service managers that can remedy issues quickly and are mod friendly. We need to hear good and bad dealer experiences in a sticky so we can follow it without guys/gals having to create new threads about different issues. Pass or fail I say.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

UPDATE

Shortly after my previous post on this issue, my dealer called me back. They wanted me to bring the car back so they could take another crack at it.

Ultimately, the car was in the shop for 9 days. They couldn't replicate my complaint and thought I was talking about something else entirely. Eventually I spoke directly to the shop foreman and explained the issue. I don't think the service writer (nice guy but brand new) understood me. At that point, me dealer got the "Porsche zone engineer" involved.

Today I received a call that my problem is fixed and my car is ready. According to the service manager, it's a problem with the "crankshaft position indicator" which may need to be shimmed in order to make proper contact. It's not a common problem - there's no service update (or whatever they call it) published, but it's not the first that Porsche higher-ups had heard of it. In other words, Porsche was aware of a problem but hasn't passed on the info to their dealers. Nice.

I'm leaving right now to pick up the car. If I don't follow up this post, that means they fixed it. If they haven't fixed it, you (and they!) will certainly hear about it.

DMoore
'13 C2S PDK
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

By stumble do you mean a sort of loss of power? From a standstill my car bogs under hard acceleration at around 2500 rpms too. Not a smooth delivery of power. Almost feels like fuel is not getting to the engine for half a second.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is in for this now. I will let them know about the crankshaft positioning. Thanks

My issue is definitely not the PDK. My Panamera's PDK slipped at take off. This is the motor not responding to input. My Panamera would rev up and then act like I dropped the clutch. This is a motor stumble issue just like the video earlier in the thread.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:30 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Update:

My car behaved for a few days after I got it back last Thursday. Starting yesterday, it's up to its old tricks again. Once again, I have the same intermittent stumble when starting from a dead stop. Until now it seemed to do it only when the engine was cold, but yesterday I got a stumble after 47 miles in 100 degree weather. I called my service manager, who's calling his zone rep back. I'm sure I'm headed back into the shop.

The "crankshaft position sensor" wasn't my problem after all. If we ever do solve the problem I'll pass it along to everyone.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Well sh+t.

I was hoping you would have success on this trip.

Perhaps it's a engine/trans temperature issue?

Why do I have a feeling that the Germans know EVERYTHING about all of these driveability issues but don't share the fixes with dealerships. They figure we will live with them and it won't hurt the bottom line.

ie: they know that the engine management map retards performance when the car is heat soaked or something similar but fail to share what and why the car does what it does. I know I'm rambling a bit but I think you know what I'm trying to relay.

It's been HOT in the IE over the last few days.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure it's engine / software issue after all the inspection?

Maybe faulty brake system / sticky brake pads?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Weim911
Instructor

So here is my question? I couldn't tell in that video but I feel something like this on heavy throttle input in my new MY2015. When you are at a stop and press the pedal heavy, the car will try to put down the power but for a 1/2 second or so you can see that the car is trying to figure out the best combination of clutch and 4WD system combination to get traction. I consider this normal on my car. No one else who has driven it has noticed this on my car - but I do when they are driving. I am wondering if all of you who are having this problem can try to replicate it with traction control off? If you can't, then maybe this is just all software?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since I started turning off PSM the car takes off much better.
I wont drive with PSM on anymore.
Also, I found that you should use lower throttle input initially and then wait untill the clutch fully engages, before applying heavy throttle.
But do it before the car upshifts to 2nd or you bog and then get another delay, before it drops back to 1st.

I have never felt the car do a clutch dump, which you are trying to induce by going hard throttle initially.
That must be reserved for Launch Mode, which I never tried.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Magnus357
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update in first post.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:46 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '12 PDK S now has 14K miles. As soon as I start the engine I push the sport button. (I think it should be the default setting.) Maybe a dozen or so times in all those miles I have experienced a slight hesitation from a dead stop. My A6 Audi has a much worse hesitation that occurs every couple of weeks. I have an '09 Jetta TDI as a parts runner in my boat yard that has a much longer hesitation that made crossing a highway in front of an oncoming dump truck a real sphincter tightening experience. It happened about 5% of the time. What was explained to me (concerning the TDI) is that the softwarel senses that the car is not moving and that the brake is depressed and shuts down the fuel delivery to a point to just let the engine idle. The computer doesn't always react quickly enough when you move your foot from brake to gas pedal. I'm not suggesting that what is true for a VW TDI will pertain to a Porsche 991. A software update has pretty much cured the problem. I'll bet it is a software issue. I also had an '08 Bentley (don't ask) that had a slight hesitation from a dead stop. Every vehicle I have mentioned is built by the VWG.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 AM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone here having the problem have an aftermarket exhaust. I put an xpipe on my car (991 C2) and almost instantly started having this problem. Took it back off and the problem was gone. Now companies like AWE market their exhausts as "PDK friendly".
Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 PM
Royalmh
AutoX

Default Mine to stumbles. 2012 10,000 miles on

Originally Posted by Justin N
Does anyone here having the problem have an aftermarket exhaust. I put an xpipe on my car (991 C2) and almost instantly started having this problem. Took it back off and the problem was gone. Now companies like AWE market their exhausts as "PDK friendly".
. Mine has PSE and I'm taking it into the dealer on Tuesday.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Just curious from last post: 1) does the stumble happen in pse mode only? And, 2) is it happening only to cars equipped with pse?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Royalmh
AutoX

Default Stumble

Originally Posted by Duke I
Just curious from last post: 1) does the stumble happen in pse mode only? And, 2) is it happening only to cars equipped with pse?
Good question. I drove the car quite a bit yesterday and it happened twice with the PSE off. I will test it today with PSE on all day .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Stumble on Roll Out