Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Stumble on Roll Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 'stealth' type engine flutter is different... Not dangerous and always at modest speed in my experience. The pdk can momentarily stumble to find/get in gear from a stop in 'normal' mode due to combination of gliding & auto stop/start but you should never get this in sports mode .... Dealer visit needed. Good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 AM
joeacc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine happened in normal mode, not sport mode. Thank you for the info.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus357
I have a 2014 991S PDK. It's developed an issue that I likely need to just go to the dealer for, but wanted to ask if it was common.

Occasionally from a dead stop, when I apply the gas the RPMs rise and then the car stumbled as if on a manual car you either let the clutch out too fast or gave it too little gas. Of course I compensate by giving more throttle, then once the engine recovers it revs very quickly.

I can't really determine if it's a cold/hot thing. I've had it happen in normal and sport mode. It's happened when I'm trying to smoothly accelerate and when I've given ~1/2 throttle.

It's kinda dangerous. A couple of times I've pulled out with plenty of distance to cross a one way street by my house, but the car bogs, hangs for a second or two, THEN goes. Which when your car has moved into traffic, is not a fun thing to happen.

Is this a common issue?
My '13 991S PDK has exactly the same problem. I just took it to the dealer last week. Their mechanic couldn't replicate the problem and sent me away without a fix. Mine does it just about every morning. I have 4 or 5 stop signs and a half dozen stoplights between my house and the freeway, and I'll get the same problem at least once or twice a morning.

My car has about 19K miles on it right now. I've had this problem just a couple of times until just recently, so I wasn't really worrying about it. But now it's misbehaving almost daily so it's becoming a concern. I'll wait a little while and try to document exactly when it happens, and then try again with my dealer.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-02-2014, 04:37 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnus357, what you describe has been reported by several others.
It is not a consistent issue.
I got sick of it and now always turn off PSM, which seems make the car drive better in just about every situation.
I found I also have to disable stability control, on my AMG, in order to get proper power delivery.

Just another example of how a computer struggles with perfotming a simple task, that is 2nd nature for a human.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest doing the same journey in sport to see if it makes a difference. This deactivates auto start/ stop and gliding which I don't think help the issue but that is an educated guess. At least if that stops the problem you have a bit more information to help the diagnosis. GL
Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

To the OP, personally I never had that stumbling thing happen !
Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a suggestion, but if it is happening frequently, why not take short video to show the dealer. Do you think you could see it in a video - maybe the revs on the tach?

Originally Posted by DMoore
My '13 991S PDK has exactly the same problem. I just took it to the dealer last week. Their mechanic couldn't replicate the problem and sent me away without a fix. Mine does it just about every morning. I have 4 or 5 stop signs and a half dozen stoplights between my house and the freeway, and I'll get the same problem at least once or twice a morning.

My car has about 19K miles on it right now. I've had this problem just a couple of times until just recently, so I wasn't really worrying about it. But now it's misbehaving almost daily so it's becoming a concern. I'll wait a little while and try to document exactly when it happens, and then try again with my dealer.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am starting to have this type of issue also. Mine is MY14 with 3800 miles and PDK. It has just started doing this and the car is going in Monday for something else but will bring to their attention. So far it is not very prevalent and I know they won't find it but I will make sure it is noted so when it gets more prominent they will already have record of it. This may be more of a motor hesitation but not sure since it has only done it a few times that I noticed.

I had this same kind of issue with my 201 Panamera and was one of the main reasons I sold it. It was so bad I had to plan for it each time I was at the light. The Dealer looked at it several times then said that is the way 2010 are but since 2011 not an issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CS4 does not misfire on roll out. It does hesitate almost as if it is shifting into first and and releasing the clutch slowly. It is a common problem with audi even with manual trans.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Magnus357
Advanced

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
My CS4 does not misfire on roll out. It does hesitate almost as if it is shifting into first and and releasing the clutch slowly. It is a common problem with audi even with manual trans.
What you're describing is what's happening to me.

It's as if the PDK is letting out too much clutch for the throttle position I give it. So the engine bogs. The computer recognizes the engine is not at the correct RPM and I believe takes over the throttle. That's why even though you give it more gas, you don't get immediate response as the computer is currently managing the throttle to prevent the engine from dying.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:25 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

After you referring to something along these lines?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:04 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by Magnus357
What you're describing is what's happening to me.

It's as if the PDK is letting out too much clutch for the throttle position I give it. So the engine bogs. The computer recognizes the engine is not at the correct RPM and I believe takes over the throttle. That's why even though you give it more gas, you don't get immediate response as the computer is currently managing the throttle to prevent the engine from dying.
I would describe it as issue with a pdk engagement delay that is forcing the engine throttle response to hesitate.It a subtle thing, but i can hear and feel something changing position in the drivetrain on initial roll out and it does not feel or sound like a engine action. A chicken egg deal for sure. I suppose it could be related to what your key has learned about your driving style. I am most often stuck in traffic and have to ease forward, ease forward so forth and so on . Wait, now I am first in line a traffic light with no back bumpers in my face, what the heck let her rip and there it is, a little delay. A neighbor down the street reported the same thing on her last two audi A4's with manuals. We better get this aired out before the manual guys get in here and start working the body, my ribcage is pretty sore . :-)

Last edited by wanderfalke; 07-03-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this happening on an incline by any chance?
Old 07-03-2014, 01:01 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Is this happening on an incline by any chance?
I like how your thinking, but it is not limited to the hold feature. Sorry if this is not your train of thought. It happens on the rare occasions when I have a chance to jump on it from a standing start. Did wonder if it could have to do with shifting energy to the front wheels on the C4S.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking of the hill start problem some folks were having that ended up with stalling the car.

Quick Reply: Engine Stumble on Roll Out