Sponsored by:

How often do you machine wax your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnswer
So why don't you guys opti coat instead of waxing? From what I can tell Opti coat seems easier.

I read somewhere you don't get the "wow" factor with opticoat and a good wax job looks better, but anyone have anything more specific to say than that? I'm a bit confused.
I just waxed over top of the Opti Coat this weekend. Gives a smoother surface, making leaf blower drying easier.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by tangram
I just waxed over top of the Opti Coat this weekend. Gives a smoother surface, making leaf blower drying easier.
Chuck911 is going to be soooooo pissed at you.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. This is so wrong on so many levels.

It's a new car, it's not going to have any dirt to clay off, and polishing won't do any good because it's already been polished at the factory and probably at the dealer as well. "

Sorry...in fact the comment above is wrong, only on one level though: fundamentally. Cars get dirty between the factory and the dealership. Trains, boats, trucks, sitting at port = dust, soot, grit. The cars really aren't wrapped all that extensively, and these abrasive substances do adhere to the paint. I recently did my own pre-delivery detail on my wife's Macan...gently washed, clayed the paint, waxed. "Polishing" which is different than "waxing" wasn't really necessary in this car's case. The difference between the feel and smoothness of the paint before and after claying was significant.
Dealers do not go to this level of detail when delivering a car...they just wash it and call it good. I also suspect if you have any kind of protective coating applied as part of the purchase process, the coating is applied right over all the junk embedded in the paint.

if you know what a freshly clayed and waxed car feels like to the fingertips, go check out some cars on the showroom floor. No where near the same.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I haven't seen the video, but taking what you said literally, it's horse-pooey. I get so when I read these product descriptions and things like "nourishes the paint" and "replenishes essential oils" which is all a bunch of crap. Clear coat is so hard and totally dry that nothing is going to nourish it nor does it have any oils to be replenished.

They can claim that it "bonds at the microscopic level" but that's true about everything except the unequivocal love from a dog, which is on a more basic level of "if you throw the ball I'll worship you forever or until I'm hungry".

rant off.
I agree since these are water based paints on modern cars. You don't replenish oil where there never was oil in the first place.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just polished yesterday, July 4th. The morning was not raining, but heavy rain was in the forecast; guests not arriving til 2PM. I have been almost totally a Griots user, but decided to try Poorboys sealant with carnuba. It's called EX something which has no abrasives and only cleans using it's chemical composition. 6" random with orange pad works super for me. This stuff applies so easily, even in the sun, and can be almost removed with a tissue. Otto is white with brown rag top and is beaming in the garage today. Smells great too.
On the red pick up which is not garaged, it's Griots AIO sealant & cleaner which is easy on & off again. The only wax I use now is Griots Spray on Wax.
PS. poorboys works great on the wheels. Before a ride, I swiffer the wheels to remove any dust.
Dan
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 AM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twodan
The only wax I use now is Griots Spray on Wax.
PS. poorboys works great on the wheels. Before a ride, I swiffer the wheels to remove any dust.
Dan
Griots spray on wax is just a wax enhancer its not really waxing your car. You might know that but the way you said it above makes it unclear.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I just clayed my car and got some stuck in the area behind the doors where the Turbo version has air intakes. Whats the best way to get it out of these tough spots? I tried dabbing it and it just makes it worse
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I have mine waxed every two weeks.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I just clayed my car and got some stuck in the area behind the doors where the Turbo version has air intakes. Whats the best way to get it out of these tough spots? I tried dabbing it and it just makes it worse
Kinda have to see to say for sure. But in general- sometimes you can go back with the clay bar and get lucky and get it to stick so the clay bar pulls it off. So keep that in mind but remember I said "lucky"! Next would be a tooth pick- but you cannot try and get it all or risk scratching with the wood. But after getting the bulk of it then you can wash with a concentrated solution of Car Wash. If you got it in one of those creases it will probably be wash-rinse-repeat for a while but this should get it all without scratching. Or you can always take the approach that hey, probably gonna need to polish anyway, and just remove it with a little Machine 4 by hand. If you have any blue foam (like camping pad) laying around you can cut a piece to work right in the crease. These little home made pads are great to have anyway, for polishing tight areas like behind the door handles.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:07 PM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used 3m adhesive remover. I spayed a tiny amount on a MF towel, then re waxed.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:41 PM
Justin R
Track Day

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. This is so wrong on so many levels.

It's a new car, it's not going to have any dirt to clay off, and polishing won't do any good because it's already been polished at the factory and probably at the .
Bad information
Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

The Griot's random orbital is great, worked awesome. I hardly got any dirt off when I clayed it though prior to waxing. Its a new car I garage and wash often though.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok thanks so when you polish you are actually removing the clear then? The Griot's videos only talk about removing microns of the paint to get scratches out. This is the part I don't understand. If you polish off the clear coat that is ok or expected?
Expected.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

An random orbital waxing thingy like a porter cable or what have you will not remove the clear coat. It doesn't get fast enough to create that kind of heat.
The type of pad and the type of polish are what determine if any type of swirl/scratch removal can be done. For really serious defects there are polishers that can literally rip the paint off your car. The typical car buffing unit is perfectly safe, however.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:43 AM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Get the Griot's random orbital. If you use their #3 or #4 polish it only takes microns of clear coat away to smooth out towel marks and hairline scratches in the clear coat. I buffed wax on my new 911 and it also fills in any minor towel marks etc. quite nicely so you shouldn't need a polish until it gets a little abuse

Quick Reply: How often do you machine wax your 911?