Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got build slot for Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 03:55 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car looks great, especially love the Turbo rims. Congrats! And great trick with the cones . . .
Old 10-19-2014, 08:26 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2000 miles in 5 days..

So after all the planning, building and waiting the car has arrived.
The buying process was 15 weeks from start to finish, that is a long time. So was it worth it and how do I feel picking up a C2S three days before the GTS was announced.

I never was a strong believer in the whole running in process but when you pick up your car and its all new and special the last thing you want to do is take it up to the redline.

Due to circumstances we had no home and nothing to do for a week or two, so some sort of "running in" seemed like the way to go.

We checked out these websites, which gave a list of all the best routes and roads in the UK. Many of these drives are used for TopGear filming and EVO magazine test routes. So there were some amazing roads and scenery.

www.drivingroads.co.uk
www.greatestdrivingroads.com

First off we drove to the Lake district, then across the Yorkshire Moors to Harrogate. From there to North Wales and Snowdonia, then South to Brecon Beacons and finally to the South Coast. This added up to about 1900 miles, so plenty of time to get a feel for the car.

The car had 15 miles on the clock when we started and we did some steady motorway driving for the first couple of hundred miles. Gently moving through the revs up and down to approx 4200 led to fuel consumption of approx 29 miles to the gallon, not bad.

The roads around the Lake district are amazing. Never doing much more than 80mph, the car just ate up the straights and bends. Long bends and tight twisty switch back all taken with ease. I have Sports PASM and PDDC and felt no roll from the car at all ( No trouble with it either and have hit about 1.3G). The suspension is firm but just right for UK roads. It does bounce about a bit on the front end when driven on faster uneven roads, but when it comes to bends this car just turns in so tight and accelerates out so smoothly from 1900 up to about 4200 revs.

With about 500 miles on the clock we pushed a bit harder across the Yorkshire Moors, taking the revs up to about 5000 or so… The roads are open and clear it had to be done. Any farm or holiday traffic was just blown away. Long straights with tight bends leading onto up and down hill sections of twisty turns and u bends. Caught up with a couple of new M3s on our travels and really did leave them them behind. They could not keep up in the bends and were left for dead on the straighter bits. This car is so easy to drive fast.

In Harrogate we stayed with friends and drank 350 year old Rum from Jamaica. Now thats the good stuff. Long story but not for now..

Next on the list was North Wales and Snowdonia. More hills, more bends and lots more open roads and clear driving. Some very fast roads here, where we hit 120-130 mph on clear roads many times and long bend around 100. Traffic disappears so quickly in the C2S. The car definitely pushes through a long bend better than trailing through, when it pushes hard out of a bend it really holds a tight line.

With about 1000 miles on the car was starting to open up a bit more and pick up revs quicker. Turn in and brakes are a revelation. You get used to the speed and acceleration but the turning and stopping ability of the car never ceases to amaze.

The roads get faster as you travel south. More motorway and fast roads. In a little race with a AMG 63 thingy we hit 157mph before slowing. The AMG sat with us most of the way, but straight line stuff is boring.

The car had about 1500 miles on it before we really opened it up. The second burst of power from 5000 revs is a revelation. It really does pull pretty much all the way to the red line and the sound is amazing..

So now with over 2000 miles on the clock what do I think.

Porsche is trying to fulfil so many roles with the 911s. Tourer, sports car, track car, day to day and long journeys. It really is what ever car you want it to be.

And it would appear to be very capable of fulfilling these roles. It is so refined and easy to drive slowly, or with the push of a few buttons the car turns into a sports car or track car. The Porsche can do all of this but I am not sure which car it really wants to be. I suppose it is the car you want it to be when you want it.

This whole journey was done with my amazing other half who says she loves the car as much as I do and is a great car to be a passenger in.

My mother thinks its "very nice but the seats are very low".

I loved the PSE when the car arrived but now never use it. The noise does not suit the car. The car is too smooth to be loud unless really pushing hard. I don't need the drone induction noise between 2000 and 4000rpm.

Apart from a slightly twisted door rubber and buzz from around a speaker we have had no problems and have averaged about 24 mpg. Its used about 1/2 litre of oil and a few stone chips have appeared on the bonnet.

Jet Black Metallic and Turbo wheels make this car a real b**** to keep clean. So after 2100 miles of driving and no washing I took it down to:

www.elitedetailing.co.uk

Check these guys out. Look at some of the other cars he was detailing.

Do I wish I was getting the GTS. Am I bummed. Yes and No…

The GTS has a few extra options I pulled on this build. I left off the Powerkit and the Aerokit because of cost and now they come for "free" on the GTS. But thats about the only difference. The wide body means nothing to me, I think it looks slightly flabby compare to the C2S.

Yes I do think the car needs the extra power, but I can wait for the 550hp 991.2..

After detail and special coating...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:27 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Picking up at Porsche Silverstone

Lake District

Welsh Mountains and road

After 2000 miles and a detail

Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

looking good ... fun taking delivery at Silverstone!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
looking good ... fun taking delivery at Silverstone!
Yeah we live about 3 miles from Silverstone so get to hear racing cars and bikes lapping most days. Listening to the 24hr GT racing in bed is great bonus too...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OMG Noooooo....
Yeah we live about 3 miles from Silverstone so get to hear racing cars and bikes lapping most days. Listening to the 24hr GT racing in bed is great bonus too...
lucky bugger! did you take the car out onto their circuit?

p.s
You missed some of the best driving roads in the Highlands...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:19 PM
OMG Noooooo....
Racer

I got a track day at Silverstone with Porsche. They let me loose in a car the same spec as mine... great fun and no fear of fear of hitting anything.

The Highlands were on the agenda but the weather turned wet so we came south....Scotland will be the 1st big trip of net year.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I got a track day at Silverstone with Porsche. They let me loose in a car the same spec as mine... great fun and no fear of fear of hitting anything.
sweet deal!

The Highlands were on the agenda but the weather turned wet so we came south....Scotland will be the 1st big trip of net year.
it can be difficult to heel and toe in wellingtons!

Quick Reply: Just got build slot for Carrera S