Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Micro cracks on headlight

Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro cracks on headlight

We have noticed these very small cracks on one side of the headlight. They run for a good 5-6 inches long on the edge of the light. The other headlight has them also but only for half an inch. We think we have not hit anything but you never really know. It does not look like damage from an object anyways because the paint along it has no damage. We life in FL and during the day the car does sit outside on the sun for hours, so I am starting to think this may be from the heat. Has anyone else seen these?

By the way, the car is always hand washed, and the light has no protective cover.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

My 997.2 has different headlights so I can not relate directly to the 991 headlight construction, but the picture "appears" to show delamination or bubbling of the gray color coating beneath the plastic outer layer and not cracks in the actual plastic.

Again, I am basing my observations on a two dimensional picture, and not the actual three dimensional headlight.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Clearly a warranty issue. Take your car in ASAP.

Ask them to upgrade you to the new black headlights.
The following users liked this post:
pgap718 (12-06-2023)
Old 06-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

It is 3D. I will definitely take it in next week. I am just wondering if someone else had this issue already. I figured others must uave had this before me.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Drizute
6th Gear

I had exactly the same cracks on a BMW X5 after about 6 months from new. I took it in and was told by the Service advisor, "my family has a detail business we see this all the time it's from the orbital polishers damaging the headlights, we are not paying for it" !! I have ALWAYS detailed my own cars and never used a polisher on the headlights..... Had to go to regional director for BMW to get it resolved. I was one of the first to get the new X5 subsequently found out a bunch of cars came in with the same thing and it was an issue with the glass. Fight for it is all I can suggest, I went out and looked at my 2012.5 c2S didn't notice anything.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Clearly you are abusing the high beams. Warranty denied!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The orbital story is BS. In the first place a random orbital cannot do this. Secondly a direct drive polisher could easily heat and cut through the paint there, but it would never look like this. It would look smooth. This is peeling, and you can even see areas where the paint is bubbling up but not broken and peeling.... yet. Its a manufacturing defect causing the paint to not adhere to the substrate. Heat can cause this- heat guns are used to remove paint after all. So being in FL you are probably more likely to see this, and sooner. But its FL, Earth. Not Mercury. They need to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Driveby (01-08-2020)
Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

The cracking makes it appear to be more than a delamination issue. Maybe some jackass tried to pry out your headlights?
I DO have some minor edge delamination on my tailights (no cracking) which others have reported on this forum. I asked my dealer about it and of course they never heard of such a thing. I plan on having them take a look when my "service due" messages start really annoying me since I can't reset them and I do my own service!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:26 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Honestly at first glance I don't see any 'micro-cracks'. I see man-made damage to the very edge of the plastic lamp cover. Was there any Xpel or clearBra applied to front end? The pattern in that photo looks a lot to me like someone ran a blade down around the outer edge of the plastic, chipping it rather than breaking. The dark lines evenly spaced are the clue it is not a random cracking or snapping of the material. Marks like that don't happen randomly by themselves. And you are right, this is not something caused by an impact especially if you aren't seeing any damage to paint near that spot. This again tells me that someone was running something down around the outer edge of the plastic, between lamp and body, to either trim something or....

Don't take my comments as me saying this is something you did -- just my observation. I saw nearly identical markings on a 991 headlight after someone trimmed Xpel vinyl around the headlamp.

Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:00 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jawells1
Honestly at first glance I don't see any 'micro-cracks'. I see man-made damage to the very edge of the plastic lamp cover. Was there any Xpel or clearBra applied to front end? The pattern in that photo looks a lot to me like someone ran a blade down around the outer edge of the plastic, chipping it rather than breaking. The dark lines evenly spaced are the clue it is not a random cracking or snapping of the material. Marks like that don't happen randomly by themselves. And you are right, this is not something caused by an impact especially if you aren't seeing any damage to paint near that spot. This again tells me that someone was running something down around the outer edge of the plastic, between lamp and body, to either trim something or....

Don't take my comments as me saying this is something you did -- just my observation. I saw nearly identical markings on a 991 headlight after someone trimmed Xpel vinyl around the headlamp.

Good Luck.
you sound like you work for the dealer.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jawells1

Good Luck.
There was nothing done to the headlights. I never do any modification to any of my cars. I do enjoy looking at mods, but I prefer mine 100% stock. Clear covers, etc... all garbage in my opinion.

UPDATE:
I finally had time to drop the car off today at Champion Porsche. Although they have not seen this before, they will replace both headlights under warranty. I honestly did not expect them to do this, especially after I have walked their lot and I could not find a single 991 with this issue. May be they know more. Needless to say, so far I am impressed with their customer service.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Weim911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
There was nothing done to the headlights. I never do any modification to any of my cars. I do enjoy looking at mods, but I prefer mine 100% stock. Clear covers, etc... all garbage in my opinion.

UPDATE:
I finally had time to drop the car off today at Champion Porsche. Although they have not seen this before, they will replace both headlights under warranty. I honestly did not expect them to do this, especially after I have walked their lot and I could not find a single 991 with this issue. May be they know more. Needless to say, so far I am impressed with their customer service.
Congrats. That's what a warranty is for. Probably just a random bad luck headlight. Sorry for the inconvenience and I'm glad it all worked out.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM
s996
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Curious to hear about results of headlight de lamination . I was washing my car today and it have it on both headlights.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Originally Posted by s996
Curious to hear about results of headlight de lamination . I was washing my car today and it have it on both headlights.
Not much else to report. I have not had the issue since the lights were replaced.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by s996
I just noticed this on one of my headlights as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Micro cracks on headlight