Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch stays down on hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:13 PM
LLB
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early in a Porsche group drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway this AM, my clutch pedal stuck to the floor in my new (<2500Miles) 991S. I was in 4th. fairly weird level of panic sets in but got her pulled into "overlook" and several members pulled in with me. Turned her off...bad smell...funny sound...and one of the guys took both hands to pull clutch back up off floorboard. Called and had her flatbedded (is this a word?) to dealer....she seemed fine as I moved her about to get her on tow truck but erred on the side of caution. Welcome comments. BTW, all my cars are and have been manuals...so don't go there.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:21 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

This sounds similar to my experience, clutch pedal stays down and bad smell. I have the sense that the problem is still lurking, I just have to do a hard pull off and use the clutch and it will recur. Will be very interested as to what your dealer makes out of this.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:11 AM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad I found this thread, my brother test drive my 50th 2 wks ago, and when he took off the driveway, I heard the engine howling but the car not moving, finally he gets it going, then waited for him to get back. Thats when I got that awful smell. I ask him what happen earlier and he told me the clutch stuck half way, and I said what?? I didn't believe him, I thought he mess up because he haven't driven a mt in years. Hard for me to believe him because I have the 911 since last November and it never happen like he describe.
Ask him when he last driven a mt, and he replied back before he married my sister, thats over 14yrs ago. So the whole time I thought that its just error on his part until I bump into this thread.

I driven it again right after with him in the passenger seat to see if he was right but couldn't duplicate it, all is left is that bad clutch burn smell that I blame him for. So after 2 weeks since then, I still haven't duplicate it. After reading this, he might be telling the truth and I gotta call him back to apologize for calling him a noob, jokingly of course.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

mine is in shop for clutch pedal sticking to floor... dealer getting approval from porsche, but said its starting to return slowly - I think hydraulics.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 AM
NeoGeo07
Instructor

Originally Posted by gt3fantasy
Glad I found this thread, my brother test drive my 50th 2 wks ago.....Ask him when he last driven a mt, and he replied back before he married my sister, thats over 14yrs ago. So the whole time I thought that its just error on his part until I bump into this thread.
Wait....ur brother married ur sister? I hope you meant to say "brother in-law?"

But back to topic, yes please keep us posted! I have a 50th too with a manual so I'm now worried....
Old 07-07-2014, 11:41 AM
LLB
Intermediate

Okay...here's my update so far. They have had my 991S hooked up to the computer and...it isn't showing a code nor any problem whatsoever. Actually, this is the worst result possible. Tech has called Porsche and they told him to take it out and drive it and try to duplicate the problem. He hasn't done this yet, but will before lunch. Porsche wants to be called back with results of his drive. Folks, if this is happening to you with your manual 991, you need to report it and get it on the books. I had a 996 before and look at all the crap we went through with the IMS ...which I ended up replacing at my own cost. I will keep you posted on the status of my 991S as the day progresses.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:04 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Originally Posted by NeoGeo07
Wait....ur brother married ur sister? I hope you meant to say "brother in-law?"

I didn't know that english as a first language was a requirement on this forum. The nuances of brother-in-law may not be immediately apparent to non-native english speakers and in some cultures and languages, when someone marries your sister, he is referred to as your brother.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 PM
LLB
Intermediate

Tech couldn't replicate my problem...duh...he bled the clutch fluid (a waste of time but oh well). She seems fine now however I can't help but wonder when will this problem occur again, if ever? And what in the world caused it? Okay...on to the next drive.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Lebreeze
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts

It happened to me once also. I started a thread about it before. I was at a stop light and accelerated fast and it stuck half way in. It came out once I pushed it down again and has luckily never happened again. I also got the burnt clutch smell. I haven't really dumped the clutch again since. I told the dealer and they pretty much brushed it off. My car is a 2014 c2s.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

I have a 2012 991S 7MT. I tried a dump-the-clutch-from-a-stop take off and found my clutch pedal modulating itself during the initial acceleration in 1st gear. The pedal was not stuck in one position, but it was moving actively (modulating) back and forth in approximately the middle of the pedal's range as the car accelerated. I did this with traction control off and sport+ mode on. My guess is this is a form of traction control that engaged, despite traction control being off. I've done this twice, with the same effect both times. In my previous 997.2S, when I dumped the clutch, I would get a lot of wheel hop, which was fairly violent, and a similar modulation of the clutch in 1st gear.

Not sure if this is the same issue others have experiences on this thread. I have not experienced any issues with the clutch sticking in any position.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
I have a 2012 991S 7MT. I tried a dump-the-clutch-from-a-stop take off and found my clutch pedal modulating itself during the initial acceleration in 1st gear. The pedal was not stuck in one position, but it was moving actively (modulating) back and forth in approximately the middle of the pedal's range as the car accelerated. I did this with traction control off and sport+ mode on. My guess is this is a form of traction control that engaged, despite traction control being off. I've done this twice, with the same effect both times. In my previous 997.2S, when I dumped the clutch, I would get a lot of wheel hop, which was fairly violent, and a similar modulation of the clutch in 1st gear.

Not sure if this is the same issue others have experiences on this thread. I have not experienced any issues with the clutch sticking in any position.
the clutch is an e-clutch? - or is the modulation on the throttle?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
RADManZulu
Advanced

Sounds defective to me. If you take your foot off the clutch, it should come all the way up, not hang up half way and wobble around.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RADManZulu

I didn't know that english as a first language was a requirement on this forum. The nuances of brother-in-law may not be immediately apparent to non-native english speakers and in some cultures and languages, when someone marries your sister, he is referred to as your brother.
Thanks Rad, no harm done, but back to the issue, when this happen I was outside and heard/seen the whole thing, I thought he have problems releasing the clutch while still on the throttle hard ie "inexperience"
Thats why after he finish driving I ask him what happens and he said the clutch stuck. Let me make this clear, it never happen to me before or since this incident. It is driving fine like I first got it from the dealer. So I wasn't alarm, just thinking that he might mess up, he did stall twice backing out of the driveway.

and yes, I treat him like my own blood brother, very good gentleman.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:59 PM
o2bcdn
Intermediate

I'm not sure what an e-clutch is. The clutch pedal modulates, not the throttle. My assumption is that the clutch is modulating to maintain/optimize rear tire traction. The feeling of the clutch pedal moving lightly under my foot is too precise, too intentional to be a mechanical defect. As the speed and revs climb in 1st gear (ie traction is obtained and the car is moving forward), the clutch pedal increasingly returns to the fully extended position. Maybe I'm off my rocker, but the feeling in the clutch pedal, to me, definitely does not seem accidental or defective.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bcdn
I'm not sure what an e-clutch is. The clutch pedal modulates, not the throttle. My assumption is that the clutch is modulating to maintain/optimize rear tire traction. The feeling of the clutch pedal moving lightly under my foot is too precise, too intentional to be a mechanical defect. As the speed and revs climb in 1st gear (ie traction is obtained and the car is moving forward), the clutch pedal increasingly returns to the fully extended position. Maybe I'm off my rocker, but the feeling in the clutch pedal, to me, definitely does not seem accidental or defective.
typically (and I was certain that this was the case with the 991 MT) only your foot provides (power assisted) any control over the operation of the clutch, i.e there is no input/control (possible) from the car, c.f. an e-gas pedal where your foot provides an electronic (as opposed to direct mechanical) connection to the fuel management/injection system, which is why you sometimes feel the power being backed off in a situation where the stability management takes control away from your foot in order to regain control of the car by modulating the accelerator input to the ECU vs the input your foot is providing via the potentiometer in the accelerator pedal...

I dont believe such a mechanism exists for the 991 MT so I think you are perceiving some other (erroneous) effect/behavior through the clutch... but I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Clutch stays down on hard acceleration