Sponsored by:

Question for Cab owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Question for Cab owners

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a C2S that won't be delivered until the fall, and thru a crazy deal (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8146...11s-today.html), I got to pick another car to drive for the summer. Now, I've never been a Cab guy, but I decided that it would be fun to drive one for a summer and I chose a white C4S Cab . . . and I may be hooked.

In the past, I never wanted a Cab mostly because I like the buttoned-down feel of closed cars on the highway. As a matter of fact, my last two Porsches were the a 996 and 997 Targa. I know most people didn't like the design of those models, but they worked for me. I could drive around the city in semi-openness, and button up the big sunroof as I got on a highway entry ramp. But after a couple of weeks of admittedly perfect open air driving weather, I'm seriously reconsidering my years of dislike of convertibles. So, before I make a serious turn-around and change my fall order, I'd like to solicit input from Cab owners . . . what are the real-life downsides of owning a convertible?

My list so far:
Not as buttoned-up on the highway (but not so bad with windows and wind-blocker up).
Loss of rearward visibility with top up (but the car's small enough to maneuver with the mirrors even in tight, city spaces)
Loss of any light coming in with the top up (I think that's just something I'd need to live with).

Anything else? And btw, I don't drive my Porsches in the winter. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Have good and proper care techniques:

1) don't wash with soaps
2) sticky tape roller between car washes with water only
3) Ragg Topp every other year
4) cognizant of tree sap and such
5) clean any bird bombs ASAP
Old 06-02-2014, 09:49 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Curious on the responses this gets.
The 991 is my 4th 911 Cab and so far IMO the best "911 Cab" from Porsche.

Another thing to note: the back seat area is smaller due to the seat backs being tilted slightly inwards to give more space for the top in "down" position.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Hubba
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-If you are at all the kind of person that cannot relax if there are rattles, creeks, and squeaks in your cabin... then either pass on the cab, be extremely patient & hope you have a patient service advisor, or do what some here have done & drive with a person and track down/fix them all one by one as they appear. Not owning a 991 coupe I cannot say that they are noise free cabins.. but I'm actually learning to live in peace with these noises until the regular service intervals & have my great service advisor tackle them.

-You can never predict your passengers state when they join you for a ride... so don't ever think it's all what you want every time & that you'll always get the top down. Sometimes passengers just don't want the wind. For me... it's down unless it's raining... and I still have to fight the urge

-The one minus you listed about parking is very true... that is why I now leave the top down until the car is parked... seriously best visibility ever. Oh and then I added the SmartTop so I simply remote the top up as I walk away.

-There is one unescapable truth... for me the cabriolet is just a stunner top up or down. While a coupe makes me stop and stare every day as well... but for me the boffins at Porsche pulled some serious design magic carving the 991 beast into a work of pure motoring art. Top up... super car dart. Top down... Southern Califonia E-ticket ride custom made for the Pacific Coast Highway... the smiles just don't stop.

-Assuming you opt for the S model... the top down experience combined with or without the P.orsche S.ports E.xhaust is even more exciting... engaging... and very very much part of the driving experience... in a way I never expected.

-Keep in mind... that with the 991 Porsche had a very difficult design requirement for the cabriolet. Basically make it a no compromise comparison to the coupe... roof line without bulges & same slope as coupe, same interior noise with top up, nearly the same total weight vehicle as coupe, etc. etc. This is why you are having your dilemma... they nailed the 991 cabriolet.

I'm sure there are more.. and I'll edit this if I think of any. Seriously the best news of all... you cannot go wrong here... the 991 is epic. It's all about what you'll enjoy MORE. It's a unique combination of open cabin sports driving that would make me repeat my purchase decision for the cabriolet.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hubba
This is why you are having your dilemma... they nailed the 991 cabriolet.
Wonderful post! Yeah. They really did. Super awesome.

Sent from mobile using Rennlist
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 AM
MikeDi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted the C4S Coupe. Wife talked me into getting a C4S CAB. I cant image not having it now. I love it. Just as quiet as the coupe with the top up. Mine is a year old now and top still looks new. Wash it with water only.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

The 991 Cab is the first convertible I've ever owned, and the first one I even seriously considered. With the top up, it is the most coupe-like ride I have found. And the top down this summer (I got it the end of October of last year) has been awesome! The main downside for me is the visibility, which is not as good as in a coupe.

Good advice on keeping it clean. I will try to remember that.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan

1) don't wash with soaps
I see there are a number of Ragg Top products. What do you use?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have absolutely no rattles, sqeaks and creeks in my 991S Cab with top up or down! Have 8,500 miles on it over past 14 1/2 months.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:21 PM
windboat
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan

1) don't wash with soaps
Purchase and install the SMARTTOP even before the clear side markers.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:16 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my 7th Porsche , first Cab. With the top up it is as quiet as the coupe. The chassis is very stiff, absolutely no cowl vibration. My only complaint is the lack of visibility when backing up. The rear view camera was not available when I purchased my car. That has now been solved. Make sure to order that option with the parking censors.

I will never go back to the coupe. A sports car should be topless.

PS I almost forgot, the sound of PSE with top down takes this car to another level.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is 7 months old with 3400 miles and no issues with the top. I have a slight wind noise with the top up on the drivers side but less air than in my wife's Lexus SUV. I agree with the SMARTTOP and love it.

It is a little more maintenance than paint but not enough for me to worry about it. The exhaust sounds soooo gooood
Old 06-02-2014, 01:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,444 Likes on 2,251 Posts

Originally Posted by windboat
Purchase and install the SMARTTOP even before the clear side markers.
looks like a MUST HAVE modification!

where did you source yours?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I see there are a number of Ragg Top products. What do you use?
You want the 2-part kit for fabric tops. One is the Protectant in an aerosol can and the other is the cleaner you use to wash and prep the top.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
The main downside for me is the visibility, which is not as good as in a coupe.
That's why the convertibles are equipped with parking sensor for the back standard.

Quick Reply: Question for Cab owners