Sponsored by:

Help with text messages in the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:51 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Help with text messages in the car

I paired my android phone with the car and it transferred some of my texts. When I look at them in the car it has recent texts, but the names do not match the texts. So it shows a text from "John" that was actually sent from "Bob".

I looked at the manual and it says you can select a text and then delete it or all messages.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...xt-message-SMS

The only option I see is to read the whole text. I don't see anything about responding, forwarding, deleting or anything else.

I'm thinking maybe it messed up because I shut off the car while it was transferring. I cleared the phonebook, which cleared the contact names off the multifunction display, but I can't get these messages off or figure out how to replace them with the correct info. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
jpbesl
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know it was even possible to interact with texts on the PCM. Is this only for 2013MY+?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I've decided not to pair the iPhone with the 991 at all. It's my new cell phone free zone. I luv it.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have it in my 14 Cayenne. It does show NEW text messages after it pairs up. Mine does not show previous messages prior to pairing. It shows an option for emails, but I have never seen any. It does show the correct names on the the TM's.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Just to add to the confusion: My '13 991S pairs nicely with my iPhone (5S). It shows text messages received since the most recent pairing - but it does NOT show the name of the sender. But in my Panamera the name of the sender does appear. Go figure.

So it appears that between us we have just about every possible combination of function/malfunction.

DMoore
'13 991S
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 05-07-2014, 01:45 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I've decided not to pair the iPhone with the 991 at all. It's my new cell phone free zone. I luv it.

+1

I don't even let me iphone stream bluetooth music to the car anymore.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:58 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Does anyone have an ideas on how to delete them? I don't like having random TM loaded in the car even though they have the wrong name.

Using text messages and emails is in the manual for 2013/2014 as well as 2011/2012

I'm a big proponent of concentrating on driving when in a car and generally don't want to be checking emails or texts. However, sometimes if it's something urgent it would be nice to have the option to either check when I stop at a light or have my passenger see what I got without fumbling for my phone. Since the feature seems to be in the car I'd really like to know how to use it.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

This might help you.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I looked through the manual and don't see anything about how to clear it when the delete option isn't there.

Is there a way to reset all the phone settings? I already cleared the phonebook and it doesn't clear the texts
Old 05-08-2014, 02:59 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

My messages received after pairing are all deleted when get in the car the next time upon restarting the rig and pairing up again.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by pdxjim
My messages received after pairing are all deleted when get in the car the next time upon restarting the rig and pairing up again.
You're right, it does clear when I disable bluetooth on my phone.

What about not having any options to respond to texts and the texts having the wrong name. Anyone know how to fit that? I don't want to bring it into the dealership just for this
Old 05-09-2014, 12:42 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
You're right, it does clear when I disable bluetooth on my phone.

What about not having any options to respond to texts and the texts having the wrong name. Anyone know how to fit that? I don't want to bring it into the dealership just for this
from what I've seen in mine there is no way to respond to a text, only call the person. Not sure about the wrong name issue, II haven't seen that.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried pushing the call-back button and even that doesn't work in my car. I can read texts, though (not emails). All of my texts also come up with no names. It's fine enough as I really don't like fiddling with the screen to read texts while I'm driving. Comes in handy though at red lights.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM
maxpowers
Pro

It bothers me that so many features listed in the manual don't seem to exist.

From the manual:

Reading a text message

Press the button.
Select "Messages".
Open the relevant text message by selecting it.
Replying to a text message

You have the following options:
– "New text": The input menu is opened and new text can be entered.
– "Attach reply": The input menu is opened and the original text of the message is shown in the text field.
You can edit or add to the text as required.
– "Reply with YES": The input menu is opened and the original text of the message is shown in the text field.
The reply "YES" is appended to the end of the text.
– "Reply with NO": The input menu is opened and the original text of the message is shown in the text field.
The reply "NO" is appended to the end of the text.
– "Templates": A list of the message templates is opened and a template can be accepted or edited by selecting it.

Quick Reply: Help with text messages in the car