PSE vs. non PSE exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 11:19 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts
Default PSE vs. non PSE exhaust Tips

Hi All -
I met up with Serge (SM_ATL) tonight and heard his amazing AWE setup. Great guy, awesome car. We talked cars for a bit and then went for a ride. Docile with no drone when in quiet mode, and in loud mode, it sounded just awesome.

I am still debating cost, sound, etc. between PSE retrofit and Installing AWE + dash switch. Heart says go all out with AWE, but I need to hear a PSE car one more time first.

My question is simple -

Can I use my non PSE tips on a PSE exhaust? It looks like the PSE tips are a shocking $1200 with a discount, and $1600 list and the finish seems to be the only difference between the base S and PSE tips. Ideally, my cheapest option is to install the PSE center section and dash switch and leave the Non PSE tips on the car - after all they hardly look any different. Since I have a C2S the side mufflers remain the same. This simple install could be accomplished for $1k in parts from one of the online discount dealers and then a small charge for my dealer to recode the car.

Don't mind spending money on the car as needed to do it right, but I don't think the PSE tips are worth $1200 if the only difference is that they are a little shinier than base tips.

Thanks for your help.

Sean
Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder how many rl members have gone the route that you propose? I would like to do something similar . What is this AWE that you speak of.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:05 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

I confirmed with the dealer that the PSE tips are the same other than the finish. If I decide to go the PSE route, this is the angle I will take. I believe you can accomplish fully functional PSE for < $1500 installed, which is 50% of the cost if you order it with the car. I could, of course, be missing something which I will eventually discover :-)

Still debating PSE vs. AWE.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Holy cow had no idea tips were that much. Would love to know if stock tips could work. I thought I read up that the sizing was different awhile back.
I too am interested if any rennlisters have done this
Old 03-27-2014, 01:32 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Holy cow had no idea tips were that much. Would love to know if stock tips could work. I thought I read up that the sizing was different awhile back.
I too am interested if any rennlisters have done this
List price is $821 per tip (!!).... "Discounted" price is $595 per tip. Absolutely ridiculous.
http://sonnenporscheoemparts.com/par...w=41&maxRow=10
The tips - referred to as "tail pipe" in the description is part number 11 in the diagram

Compare that to the entire center muffler with valves at $744 (discounted). I believe the center muffler is dramatically underpriced. The entire muffler cost only slightly more than one tip!!
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Lol that is so ridiculous that it's comedic. I want to get PSE regardless, so I'll probably just buy the center piece first, then see if I do in fact need the tips. If I do I'll just pick them up later or find some black tips that can fit on.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:16 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

where does the console switch fit into this cost discussion?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:39 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
where does the console switch fit into this cost discussion?
Console switch is $200 plus cost to recode the car for PSE. As long as you have an S, I believe the wiring is in place.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

My understanding, in speaking with different shops is that it takes 9 hours to retrofit PSE onto a C2S. (Porsche Book) one person that had it done said it took the dealer 12 hours. On another board, one member stated the dealer charged him $4k to install it on his new Cab.

All I want to do is add the AWE exhaust and the PSE option. I have a shop working up a price now. As soon as I get it, I'll post it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 122554
My understanding, in speaking with different shops is that it takes 9 hours to retrofit PSE onto a C2S. (Porsche Book) one person that had it done said it took the dealer 12 hours. On another board, one member stated the dealer charged him $4k to install it on his new Cab.

All I want to do is add the AWE exhaust and the PSE option. I have a shop working up a price now. As soon as I get it, I'll post it.

Here's a link to a page with the switches you will need - $161 online. Then you will need the recode from the dealer. I've confirmed with AWE that what you are trying to do will work, no problem, as that is an avenue I am also considering.
http://www.bramanautoparts.com/porsc...xhaust-system/

Anyone with a non-PSE car and aftermarket valved exhaust should install the switch. Adds quite a bit of function for minimal relative cost.

I also got a $4k quote for the install. If I use the porsche winter parts discount coupon (15%) and skip the tips, I'm expecting to see a significant reduction.

I also discovered that, beyond the finish, there is a difference between the PSE and non PSE tips. The PSE tips have a baffle inside of them, but it reportedly makes little / no difference. Learning as I go here...
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Here's a link to a page with the switches you will need - $161 online. Then you will need the recode from the dealer. I've confirmed with AWE that what you are trying to do will work, no problem, as that is an avenue I am also considering.
http://www.bramanautoparts.com/porsc...xhaust-system/

Anyone with a non-PSE car and aftermarket valved exhaust should install the switch. Adds quite a bit of function for minimal relative cost.
Thanks for the info. What I don't understand is the amount of hours I'm hearing. Everyone I've spoken to tells me 2 hours for the AWE exhaust installation, and that's taking your time! 6 to 10 hours to install a switch and plug it in?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 122554
Thanks for the info. What I don't understand is the amount of hours I'm hearing. Everyone I've spoken to tells me 2 hours for the AWE exhaust installation, and that's taking your time! 6 to 10 hours to install a switch and plug it in?
Honestly I don't get it either. As I understand it, the wiring is already there for the switch. If you are changing from a non-PSE OEM muffler to a PSE OEM muffler I believe there some mild rerouting of vacuum lines because the valves are in a different place. With the AWE, they will be in the the same place (assuming you order the non PSE version of the AWE exhaust), so it is plug and play.

But 9 hours is an incredibly long time for a trained Porsche mechanic to do anything. And there are several accounts of "dropped the car off in the morning, was driving it with PSE in the afternoon". I also heard somewhere that the wiring is only in place for the C2S / C4S, not the base, but have not confirmed that t be true.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:50 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

I got the PSE centre muffler and centre console switch retrofitted instead of ordering from factory. I was quoted around 6-8 hours labour and it cost me around $2500 Canadian.

The side mufflers are apparently different in PSE but I didn't want those because I was deleting the stock sides and I added the Sharkwerks pipes instead which the dealer's tuning arm agreed to install for me since they were in there installing the centre PSE muffler and switch anyway.

The full PSE with centre and both side mufflers including install would have been closer to 4K.

I asked a couple of different people and the consensus seems to be all 3 mufflers are different in PSE vs stock even for the S. Otherwise everyone would order just the centre muffler only for PSE retrofit.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

I've talked to my dealer - My install is scheduled for next Wednesday. They gave me an offer I can't refuse on the full PSE install. I'll come out ahead vs. ordering it from the factory. Can't wait to get this going!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:00 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

And BTW, the reason I went with the full kit was because there is some wiring harnesses and vacuum line adapters that are difficult or impossible to order separately. I'll probably sell the tips and old muffler as well... it will be nice to have a fully OEM system.

Quick Reply: PSE vs. non PSE exhaust Tips