Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cleaning products do you use on your Porsche?

Old 03-27-2014, 06:41 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
That stuff is made for very occasional use. My rule is once the car is clean, then as long as it stays dry you can dust and detail as long as you do this daily. Don't let it build up. Once it gets wet, you must wash. Something like their spray car wash might be useful in odd situations, like the car was clean when it got rained on, it wasn't driven far and hasn't had a chance to dry. Or you skipped a day or two and now its got a little too much road film for Speed Shine but you don't quite want to wash it either. I can see how it would be prone to streaking, since you're getting the car fairly wet, it can be a lot for a towel to absorb. You might try using a large old soft 100% cotton bath towel. Fold it twice so its about 2" thick and pull the towel with one hand while guiding and applying gentle even pressure with the other. Don't go back and forth, just one direction, fairly slowly (allows towel time to absorb) and slowly lifting the leading edge so as to keep lifting the dirty leading edge off the paint. I've done this when caught in the rain a few times and didn't feel a wash was in order. The other thing you can try is use the spray wash like you're doing and just follow it up with Speed Shine.
I think you are right, it was after it got wet. Today it looks a lot better and a quick once over with the microfiber towel took away any streaks. The reason I did the Spray On Car Wash (Griot's) is because it came first in the mail and it needed the wash. I saw the video of them cleaning a Ferrari with it after 1300 miles. Maybe it never got wet!

What do you guys think about cleaner for my convertible top? It is fabric and not some fabric/vinyl mix or something right? The cleaner is very specific fabric only because they also have a vinyl one.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30520-Convertible-Cleaning/dp/B000A8JNF0 http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30520-Convertible-Cleaning/dp/B000A8JNF0

I ordered this 303 product for Fabric Top and a horse hair brush to lightly agitate the dirt. (My wife laughed when I got the horse hair brush, sounds overboard)

Looks like I'm washing this thing at least weekly by the way. Sorry to freak you guys out earlier haha.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,387 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAnswer

What do you guys think about cleaner for my convertible top? It is fabric and not some fabric/vinyl mix or something right? The cleaner is very specific fabric only because they also have a vinyl one.

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-30520-Convertible-Cleaning/dp/B000A8JNF0

I ordered this 303 product for Fabric Top and a horse hair brush to lightly agitate the dirt. (My wife laughed when I got the horse hair brush, sounds overboard)
303 is a very good product. I use Ragg Topp and they are an OE supplier to Porsche (Wolfstein).

You don't need to wash/clean your top now. It's new. Cleaners and soaps strip off the protectant. Clean with water only and use a tape roller in between.

If you want to put just extra protectant on, that's fine. In fact, within days of bring my new car home, I applied 3 medium coats of Ragg Topp. This is an entire can. About 30-40 minutes between coats. Really soaked in. Looks great. Will retreat ever other year. Only washing with soap prior to reapplication of the protectant.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:41 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you are right, it was after it got wet. Today it looks a lot better and a quick once over with the microfiber towel took away any streaks. The reason I did the Spray On Car Wash (Griot's) is because it came first in the mail and it needed the wash. I saw the video of them cleaning a Ferrari with it after 1300 miles. Maybe it never got wet!

Looks like I'm washing this thing at least weekly by the way. Sorry to freak you guys out earlier haha.
You haven't got the rest yet? Wait till you try their Paint Cleaning Clay. First chance you get, wash and then clay. You won't believe the difference.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:35 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3.../dp/B000A8JNF0

Just be careful with a clay bar on your black. If you drop it, toss it. They also pick up every bit of dirt on the floor!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:40 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 122554
Just be careful with a clay bar on your black. If you drop it, toss it. They also pick up every bit of dirt on the floor!
Good tip. I'd also add, don't clay any clear bra or the clear stone guards by the rear wheels.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:52 PM
TheAnswer
Instructor

I've got the clay and all the goods, I'll update you guys on my next wash. I'm going to use the Griot's car wash with water and then the clay with speed shine. I might water it down after and try the spray on wax to see if it shines it up. Maybe that's out of order, but I think I should get dirt off before waxing.

Today I did the Griot's wheel cleaner and rubber cleaner. I think it worked well. Sprayed the tires with some old tire gloss I have that works fine. The Griot's didn't give the rims any kind of a shine, but super clean. Maybe I should look into some kind of shining agent. I have the standard 19" wheels with the logos, I'm a purist I guess.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I've got the clay and all the goods, I'll update you guys on my next wash. I'm going to use the Griot's car wash with water and then the clay with speed shine. I might water it down after and try the spray on wax to see if it shines it up. Maybe that's out of order, but I think I should get dirt off before waxing.

Today I did the Griot's wheel cleaner and rubber cleaner. I think it worked well. Sprayed the tires with some old tire gloss I have that works fine. The Griot's didn't give the rims any kind of a shine, but super clean. Maybe I should look into some kind of shining agent. I have the standard 19" wheels with the logos, I'm a purist I guess.
Please stop using this "shining agent" immediately. Shiney wheels are no good, and so are slimey tires.

Use your spray on wax and either one of these for the tires:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

And this magic stuff for the rotors:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Hydes...per_p_947.html
Old 03-28-2014, 01:20 AM
TheAnswer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Money2536
Please stop using this "shining agent" immediately. Shiney wheels are no good, and so are slimey tires.

Use your spray on wax and either one of these for the tires:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

And this magic stuff for the rotors:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Hydes...per_p_947.html
Hey money, i have the griots rubber dressing i will be using it. It also has the uv protection like the Adams product. I looked at a used 2012 911 that had some super faded plastic trim etc. i am going to get that rustopper too. I see you use a lot of Adams products i may try some next refill.

If i use the 303 for the fabric top will it look darker?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

303 is really good on the top. Griot's rubber dressing is good stuff. I like Adam's a bit better, but they are both in my cabinet. Some Adam's stuff is better than Griot's. I think ultimately it comes down to personal preference. I started out with nothing but Griot stuff, but I have branched out over the years.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

If i use the 303 for the fabric top will it look darker?
No.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:43 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't stand the tire shine stuff. It invariably gets slung all over the wheels and surrounding body work.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:57 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Spray On wax is more of a quickie or in-between waxes wax. What you should do is wash, clay, and then wax with Best of Show. (I'm assuming you don't yet have your Machine 4 polish? If you do then wash, clay, polish, wax.) Don't wet the car down before waxing.

Griot's uses a high percentage of carnauba, which causes people to complain about it being a lot of work. First, don't use too much. Use just enough to cover a small area. Small is like half the top, a fender or door. Quickly remove it with your folded towel. The towel will immediately pick up a lot of wax. Don't keep rubbing harder and harder- turn it over. The towel will take the wax off easily, but only while the wax is fresh and the towel is clean. I like to use a 100% cotton bath towel to remove the majority of the wax quickly and get the last bit with microfiber. It can take a bit of experimentation because of the high carnauba, but its worth it.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Hammer911
I can't stand the tire shine stuff. It invariably gets slung all over the wheels and surrounding body work.
Not if you use 303 Aerospace properly.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:56 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not if you use 303 Aerospace properly.
I may have to give it a try, although i have never used a tire shine product myself. My only experience is when my wife's X5 comes back from service at BMW dealer and I have to clean up the mess.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chuck911
Spray On wax is more of a quickie or in-between waxes wax. What you should do is wash, clay, and then wax with Best of Show. (I'm assuming you don't yet have your Machine 4 polish? If you do then wash, clay, polish, wax.) Don't wet the car down before waxing.

Griot's uses a high percentage of carnauba, which causes people to complain about it being a lot of work. First, don't use too much. Use just enough to cover a small area. Small is like half the top, a fender or door. Quickly remove it with your folded towel. The towel will immediately pick up a lot of wax. Don't keep rubbing harder and harder- turn it over. The towel will take the wax off easily, but only while the wax is fresh and the towel is clean. I like to use a 100% cotton bath towel to remove the majority of the wax quickly and get the last bit with microfiber. It can take a bit of experimentation because of the high carnauba, but its worth it.
I generally use a dozen small microfiber towels and a light mist of Griot's Spray On Wax when removing the Best of Show wax - softens up any hardened spots, makes things very easy: less friction/pressure required, goes fast, makes for a very consistent finish and a rich shine. Some might describe it as "buttery."

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What cleaning products do you use on your Porsche?