Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:15 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I've never seen a 911R, tribute or otherwise. Back in the 70's R&T had an article on a 911R they found in CA. Twin-plug, little round tail lights, acid-dipped hood so thin it would cave in at 150, car so light they claimed the fronts would lift briefly launching hard. Crazy how many highly desirable examples turned out at this event. I mean this is Parade level stuff. Fortunate indeed you were able to make it.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Mosbrn78108
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:33 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
BeeBalm:

That I believe is an R Gruppe car done to honor the 1967 991R which is quite a rare model. This particular tribute belongs to a fellow R Gruppe member in the Maryland/Annapolis area and he often ships it to West Coast events for R Gruppe Treffens. It's a recreation (this particular one with a lot of imaginative lightweight touches some which were never actually conceived by Zuffenhausen) in honor of this 'sport purpose' rare model:

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3551.html
Thank you Eduardo

I figured you would know what it was. Another tribute car!

Wow, I knew people or companies built replica Cobras but had never heard of a tribute car until recently. As to the gas cap, well it wasn’t normal for normal cars

Thank you Eduardo!

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
I've never seen a 911R, tribute or otherwise. Back in the 70's R&T had an article on a 911R they found in CA. Twin-plug, little round tail lights, acid-dipped hood so thin it would cave in at 150, car so light they claimed the fronts would lift briefly launching hard. Crazy how many highly desirable examples turned out at this event. I mean this is Parade level stuff. Fortunate indeed you were able to make it.
Hi Chuck911,

I know what you mean. We have never been to a Porsche Parade but it’s now on the list of things to do.

We felt like little kids in a Candy Store there were so many Porsches and the atmosphere felt like the mid-1980s. There were so many more cars I couldn’t possibly describe them all, several older Targas, 911S, etc.

This was definitely a sports car group, seriously heavy with 911s, and not so much the Cayennes or Pannys yet I know they outsell them.

There was one other Carrera RS looking car in white and cranberry but we only saw it briefly so I’m going to assume it was another tribute car.

Thanks Chuck!

BeeBalm

You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by Mosbrn78108
Very nice!

Thank you so very much Mosbrn78108 for dropping by to say hello!
Glad you enjoyed my photos!
And welcome to Rennlist
Have a great day!
BeeBalm

Old 09-06-2014, 08:58 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

This is the last two pictures.

When we arrived at the PCA open house, volunteers directed us where to park. There were lots of places at the early time we were there. We started to follow the directions of the first volunteer directing traffic but another one told us to park in a different spot. They directed us to park next to a gorgeous red 930 Turbo. At least I think it’s a 930 turbo. When I bought my first Porsche back in the early 1980s, this was the Holy Grail, the super car of its time. We felt humble to park next to a legend.

The first thing I noticed was how huge the 911s have grown. I like the wide rear ends of the 991, but the cars have gotten pretty big. When we picked up the 991, my first comment was that the car was much bigger than I remembered because I could easily squeeze into the back seat compared to our Carrera 3.2. There was more headroom.

I like these cars smaller. They were “cuter”? But the 991 is still awesome!

Yup, much much wider!

So what cars did people flock around to see?

At first my hub was wondering why everyone wasn’t flocking to the Carrera RSR.

Obviously everyone else knew something we didn’t. When we found out it was a tribute car and not the real thing, that explained it.

A fair number of people were looking at the Macan Turbos but it was strategically placed, with the doors open, next to the PCA store and lunch stand so people were always milling around it. I think the interest was artificially generated and if the two Macans were parked out with all the other cars, there would have been little if any interest other than the normal curiosity about a new model. Although they were a handful of Panamera and Cayennes, this was definitely NOT a SUV crowd. It was, by far, a massive 911 crowd. To be fair, there were some older boxsters and 981s but there were far more 911s.

So what cars did people cluster around? In our opinion, it was the 356s. There were constantly people looking at them. So if you want people to flock to your car, keep it for 55 years And make sure it is a Cabriolet with a gorgeous interior.

And so that’s it. I hope you enjoyed this virtual tour of the 2014 PCA open house!

We had so much fun.

I can't wait until next year.

Hope I provided enough during your cyber trip through my eyes
I had a blast sharing my awesome exciting experience with you all here!

Till another time for now!

BeeBalm

Old 09-08-2014, 06:58 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

There is one thing I forgot to talk about from the PCA Open house and that was … SHOPPING!

They had an outside store stand with some items on sale.

So I took the opportunity to pick up a few things like this hat. I know its Pink. Pink – female

And a t-shirt

And a long sleeve jean shirt

Which they then put in this handy dandy cloth bag that must have been left over from this year’s Parade – pretty cool and I didn’t have to go to California to get it.

That’s it. And this shot is for the few people who asked me to add a picture once in a while. This is a Carolina Wren I took the other day

CYA all later

Have a great week!

BeeBalm

Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

I have owned my car for six months now so I guess its time for a review. But you all know about your cars so I probably won’t say anything you don’t already know. So, I’ll talk about some things specific that might not be on all cars.

Exterior color

I just love my Guards Red. I know it is old school. I know it is bright. I know it sticks out on the road. I think it looks like a little Lady Bug going down the road. I love the way it changes color depending upon the light going from a tinge of orange in bright sunlight to a deeper red in the shade. I just love it.

I have had too many white or silver cars in my life. So my Porsches, they will be red, or maybe yellow or orange.

Interior color

Guards Red with Luxor Beige is also old school and classic. I have had so many black interiors that I welcomed a different color interior. Is it difficult to keep clean? Not at all. Is there glare? Yes, sometimes, particularly around the SC clock. Since I always drive with sunglasses on anyway, it doesn’t matter. Is Luxor for everyone? Probably not.

Glass Sunroof

I love the sunroof. I know people will say it’s “to heavy”. I love it. The black adds contrast to the exterior color and, to some extent; it looks like the old black targa roof. It also just opens up the light colored interior on those cloudy days. It lets the sun in. Now this can also be a bad thing. On the first really hot day here, when it was in the mid-90s, when I came back to the car with the sunshade open, that interior was HOT. Driving home the AC had to work a LOT to get the temperature down. Lesson Learned – do NOT park in the summer sun with the sunshade open. Duh.

Sport Techno Wheels

Love them. They are so easy to clean and I actually like the slightly wider tires. It makes the car look “meaner”.

Clear Bra

It’s taken some hits, but without the Xpel there would be tiny chips in the paint. I would not be without some Xpel. And, the Xpel has self-healed itself overnight. Pretty cool.

Ventilated Seats

Not much to say here. I’m not even sure what good they are. We get 100 degree days and high humidity but the AC takes care of that. So, I’m not sure of the point of the ventilated seats.

MT

I think the clutch is a bit heavy compared to the Cayman but I am getting used to it. It’s just something new. The shifter can sometimes be a problem but that is just getting used to it as well. I like that it shows what gear you are in.

PSE

Best option ever - a symphony of sounds. Don’t go home without it. It’s really not all that loud. Having had Borla and AWE in the past, exhausts can be much louder. Sometimes mellow sounds are better than raw sounds.

It’s not how loud an exhaust that matters, but rather how it sings through the RPM range, and the PSE sings a symphony.

I heart BURBLE!

SPASM

The front lip is low and it is difficult to not scrape it but that’s the way it is. Someday it will end up getting replaced. Driving at angles up and down every driveway does get old after a while.

As to the stiffer PASM settings, we don’t notice it. Then again, we’ve always driven sports car so having the car set up stiff is just normal. But, we do notice that when we do get into a SUV, other cars feel like boats. From the passenger seat, my hub says he does feel that it’s stiffer.

Memory Seats

The memory seats can be an aggravation. With two people who drive the car and settings on both keys, the issue for both of us is that when you shut of the ignition, the seat only moves back an inch or so to get out. That is ridiculous. I want it to move back all the way just as when you enter the car it moves back all the way. My hub has ended up programming one of the buttons in the door to do just that.

The Rest

A radio is a radio. It works. My hubby never drives with the radio on. His music comes from the engine. When I drive, I just put it on a XM station and forget about it. But since getting the PSE, the radio might not get used so much.

Living and Caring for the car.

When the car is driven, it’s driven. The oil always gets to temperature. There are none of those drive 3 miles, stop, drive another 4 miles, stop, etc. days. Mileage has run from 17 – 20 mpg with an average around 18.5. It’s supposed to get 19/22/27. Oh well. To be fair, let’s just say the manual was followed and the RPMs “varied”.

Sometimes the car is driven purely for pleasure. But I also take it for mundane tasks like to the hairdresser or grocery shopping. If the car isn’t going to be driven for 4 or 5 days, then we plug it into a Ctek.

As to giving it a bath, it gets one about once a week with a foam gun. The wheels are touched up as need be and quick detailing done with Speed Shine as appropriate. The clear bra has been resealed every three months as recommended by Xpel.

Come October, the entire car will get resealed and waxed, but that is a month away.

Overall Experience

I’ve given this some thought. I feel that the Cayman is just much “easier” to drive than the 911. I know somebody won’t like that. Like maybe the Cayman is somehow “lesser” or a “chick” car because its not.

What I mean is that the clutch in the Cayman was much lighter, the mid-engine layout “feels” lighter, it just seemed balanced and safer around the corners. It was easier to drive. That is how I feel. It is a bit smaller too, so that is part of it.

The 911 “feels” bigger and much more powerful. Since the engine isn’t right behind you, it is more old school. The engine noises sound much farther behind you.

But it’s still AWESOME and “feels” more sturdy and satisfying than a Cayman. These are just my impressions. They might be different than someone else’s impressions.

So that’s it. Have a good week

BeeBalm

Old 09-13-2014, 12:10 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Your impressions are fine. The Cayman feels lighter, more balanced, safer and easier to drive because it is. Mostly this is due to what's called low polar moment of inertia, technical jargon meaning its easier to spin (or stop spinning) something when the mass is concentrated in the center than when its farther away. The inherent advantages of mid-engine design are so great that Porsche has to take all kinds of steps to keep the Cayman from running rings around the 911. Two of the bigger things they've done are what you noticed, keeping the 911 more powerful, and giving it better build quality. So you pretty well nailed it.

But there's something else, and its a lot harder to notice as it only shows up at the edge. That same low polar moment that makes the Cayman feel so wonderfully eager to change directions, also makes it a lot more eager to change ends. That is, spin. Which sounds counter-intuitive but is very true. Its one of the great automotive conundrums. The 911 is the car that always feels like its about to spin. But a Cayman will spin a lot faster, and with a lot less warning. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for the day you find yourself autocrossing one or the other. Love to hear your driving impressions then!
Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

For me, it’s that time of year to prepare for winter in terms of car care.

Wax and stuff like that has always been hub’s thing. You all know by now that I love to wash the car and to clean the wheels, but actually “waxing” the car I leave to him but I “supervise”.

I know everyone has their own routine and their own favorite chemicals and waxes so I’m not going to try to persuade anyone one thing is better than another. I’m only going to explain what was done on my car.

First, I worked on the wheels. I did the routine in post #134 https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8042...l#post11293391 including waxing the interiors. I love it when the water beads inside the wheels like this:

Second, I washed the car as described in this post https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8042...l#post11390458 except instead of using the Chemical Guys Honey Dew I used the Chemical Guys Citrus. The Honey Dew probably gave more suds and was slicker.

Third, I cleaned the interior. I vacuumed, treated the leather with Pinnacle Leather Conditioner (a sample bottle we had), and cleaned the rest with Griot’s Interior cleaner. I then pulled the carpeted floor mats and put in the WeatherTech Digital mats for the upcoming sloppy Fall and Winter season.

This picture shows the WeatherTech Mats in place

Fourth is the exterior. This took several steps. My hub does this work. It’s his “labor of love”. I make sure he does it right

To begin, he assessed if it needed clay bar. The car passed the baggie test.

How is that possible? Well, after every drive, the car is quick detailed and washed at least weekly. It is well taken care of. Clay bar might have been marginally helpful but for this first time, we passed. I am sure this will be different after the winter.

So the first step was really some polish. We have a Porter Cable but he preferred to do this by hand, simply because the Porter Cable wasn’t really needed. We have some products so there was no need to run out and buy the latest gee whiz chemicals.

First, was to polish out any very fine scratches or haze in the clear coat with Menzerna Final Polish II.

The next step was Menzerna Glaze. A glaze isn’t really necessary since it is just a filler but we have some so there is no point in throwing it away. Might as well just use it. Over time, any filler just disappears.

The third step was a layer of Menzerna FMJ (sealant). None of this Menzerna products are current but like I said, I’m not going to buy anything when we have some left over product.

The last step on the paint was a layer of Pinnacle Sourveign Carnauba wax. There is a noticeable difference between just a sealant and a layer of carnauba on top of the sealant on red paint.

Any surface covered in Xpel was sealed with Xpel Sealant.

Last, Rain X was applied to any glass surface.

This was a lot of work. I estimate it was about 14 – 16 hours of work.

I know my Hub will reapply coats of carnauba throughout the winter but even if the carnauba disappears, the sealant lasts 6 months easily. And that is the beauty of applying carnauba of a synthetic sealant.

The Xpel sealant will need to be reapplied at the end of the year.

The exterior vinyl bits were cleaned with Wolfgang Vinyl and Rubber cleaner along with the rubber seals in the doors.

That’s it for now.

Have a great week! Drive carefully.

Last edited by beebalm; 09-29-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice write up and game plan.
Best of luck.
Thanks
Old 10-19-2014, 07:44 PM
beebalm
Racer

Hello Porsche Friends,

Warning: long. OK, so I like to take photographs of Porsches.

This weekend I went on my first PCA Tour. It was so much fun. About 50 cars headed out together to see the Fall color on PA back roads and then stop for lunch on the river at the Accomac Inn. The Inn is old built in the Revolutionary War days. Soldiers were ferried across the river and stayed there including, it appears, Marquis de Lafeyette on the way to Valley Forge . During the Civil war, the son of the owner murdered a hired girl while she was milking the cows because she wouldn’t marry him. He was hanged and then buried by the Inn. Prior to WWII the Inn burned down and was rebuilt with the original stones.

It is said that the ghost of the owner’s son who murdered the hired girl, along with the ghost of the murdered girl, haunt the Inn. OK, well’s its almost Halloween. What better place to have lunch for a Porsche luncheon event than a haunted, Revolutionary and Civil War Inn?

So everyone gathered at a rest area and the group headed out. There were NO stop lights! That is amazing. With 50 cars, the caravan was strung out for well over a mile. That must have been a sight! When do you get to see 50 Porsches of all kinds of models strung out for two miles riding together? I just love to see all the sports cars. Since I don’t like driving long distances, hub drove. I got to watch all the cars and enjoy them all!

There were many 911s from all generations along with a 914, 928, and the usual assortment of older Boxsters and a few 981s.

A 911SC

C4S Cabriolet

A 914 lined-up and ready to go

Check out the tinge of orange in my Guards Red Porsche in the bright sun.

The cars are queuing up now ready to head out.

And the star shows up

Was it Money’s car??? Must have been a long drive from FL

Gorgeous. To bad it wasn’t red I want one.

But those wheels look too difficult to clean.

Now we are ready to go

Sigh, OK, driver’s meeting first.

Finally, queued up near the front. Carrera 2 in front of us.

Some of these pictures were taken through the windshield so they will look a bit soft.

Here are all the Porsches behind with their lights on in a caravan. So there were at least 45 cars behind us.

Heading through farmland.

A little bit of color

A tiny, one lane bridge

Now the cars are stretched far out.

Finally, a pit stop. But where is all this “Fall color”? Looks green to me.

My Guards Red again. Now in the shade, the color is a deeper red.

Pit stop

And then it’s off again. Boy this tour is getting long!

Finally, we are here at the Inn

Obligatory view of the tails of several generations of 911s.

And from the Inn’s porch. No ghosts here yet.

It was fun at lunch talking Porsches, driving tours, ghosts, while making new friends with fellow enthusiasts. It was a long day. So, now it’s back to the parking lot where we had to get one last shot of that GT3.

They do come in Guards Red, right? They must.

The way home was on your own. Here are two observations about the car.

1. 7th gear is useless for eastern US interstates. There is just too much traffic and it feels uncomfortable to use since the RPMs are too low and there is no power to easily pass. It is probably more suited to the more open and higher speed Interstates of the western states.

2. Many of the roads were really bad. Since you drove in a caravan of cars following the lead car, the back roads had many hills, and the speed limits were fairly slow, the drive was bumpy and required a lot of slow speed shifting and stop signs. Usually, we drive with the car always in sport plus. But for this tour, we drove in the PASM softest setting to just ease the bumps. It was also kind of boring so the stereo was actually on. My hub NEVER drives with the stereo on. Ever. He must have been really bored.

And finally, the Fall colors had not yet arrived. I think maybe next time they need to adjust the dates. Regardless, we had a wonderful time and can’t wait to do another one.

Just hope those ghosts stay in that Inn and didn’t get on the Interstate with us.

Have a good driving week.

BeeBalm

Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

The early models are getting harder and harder to find, but you got a nice turnout there, including even a rare 928. Your car sure looks good. To judge from the photo's it is somehow able to store up sunlight so that it glows in the shade!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:07 PM
beebalm
Racer

Thank you so much Chuck I always appreciate your input because you know so much!
Have a super week!
BeeBalm

Originally Posted by chuck911
Your impressions are fine. The Cayman feels lighter, more balanced, safer and easier to drive because it is. Mostly this is due to what's called low polar moment of inertia, technical jargon meaning its easier to spin (or stop spinning) something when the mass is concentrated in the center than when its farther away. The inherent advantages of mid-engine design are so great that Porsche has to take all kinds of steps to keep the Cayman from running rings around the 911. Two of the bigger things they've done are what you noticed, keeping the 911 more powerful, and giving it better build quality. So you pretty well nailed it.

But there's something else, and its a lot harder to notice as it only shows up at the edge. That same low polar moment that makes the Cayman feel so wonderfully eager to change directions, also makes it a lot more eager to change ends. That is, spin. Which sounds counter-intuitive but is very true. Its one of the great automotive conundrums. The 911 is the car that always feels like its about to spin. But a Cayman will spin a lot faster, and with a lot less warning. Just something to keep in the back of your mind for the day you find yourself autocrossing one or the other. Love to hear your driving impressions then!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:11 PM
beebalm
Racer

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Nice write up and game plan.
Best of luck.
Thanks
Thank you so very much fjpdds for your kind words
BeeBalm

Quick Reply: Yippee, Meet my new baby! Adding New Photos/Info.