Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono Package with Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 AM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Sport Chrono Package with Manual Transmission

I'm finalizing my build order. So it looks like with my manual transmission choice and getting the sports chrono package I will only benefit from the dynamic engine mounts and the software/analog clock on the dash. The other features of the SCP are for the PDK, correct?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:41 AM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 7MT also gets rev matching when you're in Sport Plus.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:43 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rev matching is a great feature. I have a MT 991 Carerra S and usually I'm almost always in sport plus. The sounds on downshifts are awesome !
Old 03-06-2014, 04:04 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Save your money; learn how to heel & toe. Same sounds, more fun.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
The rev matching is a great feature. I have a MT 991 Carerra S and usually I'm almost always in sport plus. The sounds on downshifts are awesome !
I'm unclear what rev matching does with a MT. I'm getting a MT with the chrono pkg but no sport exhaust. I prefer a MT so I can heel-toe and control the shifting like I always have on my sportscars. Please clarify how rev matching changes shifting or sound with a MT.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Sask997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automatic rev matching is exactly what you do when you heel and toe downshift. The computer automatically revs the engine to match the drivetrain speed on the downshift. You no longer have to heel and toe downshift with this feature enabled. However, you can still go back to the old-fashioned approach as the feature is only active in the sport plus mode.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like it, and use it a lot.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I am physically and mentally incapable of performing a heal-toe downshift, so I get the best of both worlds of auto rev-matching and a MT with Sport Chrono package. I don't drive in any other mode but Sport Plus.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder how many manual non-rev-matching 2012.5 991s like Bessy are out there. Surely more than to ever help value with that niche market someday. Wish I could put the power kit in, but promised wife that was it already on this car. Arg. Ps car25, really, get the sport exhaust
Old 03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Money2536
I am physically and mentally incapable of performing a heal-toe downshift, so I get the best of both worlds of auto rev-matching and a MT with Sport Chrono package. I don't drive in any other mode but Sport Plus.
Same here. I am always in Sport Plus except for when I pull out of my garage at 6 am and my family is still asleep. The rev matched downshifts combined with PSE sound heavenly.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Have the rev match on my Nismo. First thing I turned off! Hated it. I can do a better job than the computer. That's the reason I didn't want it on my 991.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:49 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Same here. I am always in Sport Plus except for when I pull out of my garage at 6 am and my family is still asleep. The rev matched downshifts combined with PSE sound heavenly.
eg, what exactly does Sport Plus do? Rev matching, I know. More aggressive throttle response, I think. Anything else?

Any change in suspension settings (with Sport Plus) or ride height (with Sport Chrono in general)? Those two things I ask about because, living in a congested city with bad roads, I already have a concern about spec'ing the Sport Design Package.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Extract from rtfm

In “Sport Plus” mode, maximum performance is set for race-circuit-like driving:

In “Sport Plus” mode:
PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is automatically changed to “Chassis Normal” or “Chassis Sport” mode.
In “Sport Plus” mode:
Like PASM, PDCC is switched to the corresponding “Sport” mode, whereby the rolling movements of the vehicle are reduced further, depending on the selected mode.
The PDK transmission switches to a sporty gear-changing map and shortens the gear shifting times when Sport mode is activated. Gear changes take place faster.
The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on and the vehicle is travelling at a speed of less than 40 km/h (25 mph), this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal or released it briefly.
The rpm limiter characteristic is “harder”. In other words: the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection mode on vehicles with PDK).
PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control is more sporty in “Sport Plus” mode. PSM interventions are later than in Normal mode. The driver can manoeuvre the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations. This helps to achieve optimal lap times, particularly on race circuits with a dry road surface.
PADM changes to more sporty maps for the dynamic engine mountings to achieve a stiffer engine-to-body connection.
In “Sport” for a sporty driving style, in “Sport Plus” mode for race-circuit-like driving.
PTV Plus changes to a more dynamic map when “Sport Plus” is switched on.
The dynamic cornering light reacts more spontaneously to steering angle changes.
The sports exhaust system is be switched to a sound-optimised mode, but can be switched off separately via the button.
The Auto Start Stop function and gliding mode are deactivated.

Of course only the options you select when speccing the car will activate but this gives the complete list for a fully specced car...I don't believe there is any change to ride height per se... Just suspension stiffness
Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clarification.... In UK (and i think US) The 's' model comes by default with PASM 10mm lower suspension than std model and with shorter springs to suit. The SPASM reduces another 10mm and even shorter springs and is an optional extra. These modes affect the stiffness when PASM is activated either manually or by entering sport plus mode. The ride height is fixed in all modes at the levels mentioned
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have spasm, but it sure does stiffen up in sport plus. makes those rrrumps into kathumps hehehe

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Package with Manual Transmission