Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just started happening to my car as well. 2013 C4S. 6K miles. On occasion, I notice the "whistle" at highway speeds. I pull up on the passenger window switch and it's gone. Not sure when or why it happens. It is not every time I drive...annoying.
Anyone find a fix yet?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:04 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

Anyone figure out how to permanently fix this?

Mine still shows up from time to time. I have tried all the various window reset tips w/o success.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 AM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Add me to the list. Same "whistling" noise on passenger side at certain speeds and a quick down and back up on the window switch fixes it. It has just started doing this and it has been colder than normal here.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Me too. Has happened a few times this winter.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Are you guys sure it's the windows?

I have the fold up mirrors and they whistle at highway speed.

If you break the wind going over them even with one finger the whistling stops.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:38 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

100% sure. One pull up on window switch, window twitches up, and noise is gone.

I am amazed that there hasn't been a software correction for this. Seems to be pretty wide-spread.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:50 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

I brought my car into the shop for my 2 yr service. I mentioned the problem and was able to replicate it for them.

Basic way to replicate the problem: when the car was locked on the drivers side, and then unlocked on the drivers side and the drivers door was closed without touching the passenger door, the passenger window stayed down - 100% of the time. If the passenger door was opened and closed, the problem fixed itself. I didn't always experience the problem when I was driving because when I put the car in my garage, I don't lock the doors, so in the AM when I get in, there was never and issue. After work, coming home - always an issue as I locked the car at work and then unlocked it at the end of the day

-long winded - ugh...

Anyways...the service advisor told me that they "reset the window" whatever that means, and it fixed the problem! The window worked normally for the past month or so. Unfortunately, the past few days, the problem has started to intermittently recur. I may end up bringing it back it if it starts doing it consistently again. Has anyone had the problem fixed fully yet?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:30 PM
904c2s
Rennlist Member

Started happening to me as the weather got colder.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine does it when it's outside, say overnight and it's real cold and the car is coated with frost. It's only been in this situation 2x and both times it did the window whistle - fixed by raising passenger window. I think it's common - mine is almost always garaged unless I'm on duty and it has to be outside, so I just deal with it. YMMV
Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
I brought my car into the shop for my 2 yr service. I mentioned the problem and was able to replicate it for them.

Basic way to replicate the problem: when the car was locked on the drivers side, and then unlocked on the drivers side and the drivers door was closed without touching the passenger door, the passenger window stayed down - 100% of the time. If the passenger door was opened and closed, the problem fixed itself. I didn't always experience the problem when I was driving because when I put the car in my garage, I don't lock the doors, so in the AM when I get in, there was never and issue. After work, coming home - always an issue as I locked the car at work and then unlocked it at the end of the day

-long winded - ugh...

Anyways...the service advisor told me that they "reset the window" whatever that means, and it fixed the problem! The window worked normally for the past month or so. Unfortunately, the past few days, the problem has started to intermittently recur. I may end up bringing it back it if it starts doing it consistently again. Has anyone had the problem fixed fully yet?
To "reset" the windows, retract the window and continue holding the window switch down for a couple of seconds after the window is completely retracted. Raise the window and continue holding the switch for a couple of seconds after the window is completely raised. Repeat for the other window.

This procedure will retrain the window regulater so it knows "how high is up."
Old 02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
To "reset" the windows, retract the window and continue holding the window switch down for a couple of seconds after the window is completely retracted. Raise the window and continue holding the switch for a couple of seconds after the window is completely raised. Repeat for the other window.

This procedure will retrain the window regulater so it knows "how high is up."
So I did this as I saw it on another post. With the car on, I put the window down all the way. I then let go of the switch and then held it down for another three seconds. Then I pulled the window all the way up, let go, and then held it up for another three seconds. I turned the car off and then back on again.
I know...all the steps sounds kinda silly...but it seemed to "reset" the regulator, and I haven't had the problem in the last few days. Hopefully the fix will last. I would hate to have to keep doing this every week.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:41 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

I was hopeful that the window reset sequence (seen above in my previous post) would fix the problem, but it started to crop up again. My airbag light also recently when on so I brought the car in to have it checked out.
The airbag was a "level 1 fault" and they reset it. Not sure what that means but they told me not to worry about it, and they drove my car around a bunch to make sure it didn't come back. Hopefully problem solved.
The window issue - I was able to replicate it again for the team. The techs talked to "P Tech" who advised them that it was because I was turning the key too quickly. I have Porsche Entry and Drive...not sure if that matters at all for this problem. Apparently it happens across the board - even in the showroom models with no miles. The solution was to just turn the key to the accessory position for a second, let the window go back up, and then start the car.
Personally, I think it's kind of lame that a $100,00+ car has to be turned on a special way so that the windows close correctly. The fact that it can be replicated routinely, but not fixed, and nothing offered for long term resolution is weird.
I wasn't even offered reassurance that "they are working on it." I find myself now with "window paranoia." I keep pulling up on the passenger window switch to make sure its up every time I drive. I can't imagine doing that for the rest of my ownership of the car...
Has anyone had this problem recently...and have you gotten a similar explanation...and have you been happy with that explanation?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it only do it when the weather is cold? Mine has done it twice and it was on really cold day where it was outside and had a frost coating on it. Other than those 2 cold weather days I've been "unable to replicate" it so I don't worry about it.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:51 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
I was hopeful that the window reset sequence (seen above in my previous post) would fix the problem, but it started to crop up again. My airbag light also recently when on so I brought the car in to have it checked out.
The airbag was a "level 1 fault" and they reset it. Not sure what that means but they told me not to worry about it, and they drove my car around a bunch to make sure it didn't come back. Hopefully problem solved.
The window issue - I was able to replicate it again for the team. The techs talked to "P Tech" who advised them that it was because I was turning the key too quickly. I have Porsche Entry and Drive...not sure if that matters at all for this problem. Apparently it happens across the board - even in the showroom models with no miles. The solution was to just turn the key to the accessory position for a second, let the window go back up, and then start the car.
Personally, I think it's kind of lame that a $100,00+ car has to be turned on a special way so that the windows close correctly. The fact that it can be replicated routinely, but not fixed, and nothing offered for long term resolution is weird.
I wasn't even offered reassurance that "they are working on it." I find myself now with "window paranoia." I keep pulling up on the passenger window switch to make sure its up every time I drive. I can't imagine doing that for the rest of my ownership of the car...
Has anyone had this problem recently...and have you gotten a similar explanation...and have you been happy with that explanation?
Haha. "Window paranoia". I suffer too at times.

On a postive note, I just dropped mine off for service today and mentioned the whistle. THIS time, the service department was well aware and said they had been told the same thing re the accessory setting for a second.

I DO consider this progress that the issue is now at least known and acknowledged, IF PAG is working on a software fix.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:49 PM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dude174
Does it only do it when the weather is cold? Mine has done it twice and it was on really cold day where it was outside and had a frost coating on it. Other than those 2 cold weather days I've been "unable to replicate" it so I don't worry about it.
Dude
Yes - it really didn't happen over the summer at all, so maybe it's corrolated with the cold temps as others have said. Of course, that could be a total coincidence as well.
I'm not sure why the cold should play any role in an electrical issue like this. I guess the cold can change resistance in circuits, etc (it's been a while since physics...).

Quick Reply: Window Whistle