Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering question (possible problem?)

Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 AM
dr.alexs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
You know I thought about getting something other than the Pirellis. I just had to get new rear tires. I was not even thinking about the sound this thread is about but these tires seem to be noisy. To me anyways. But the mileage on them was amazing. 20000 miles on the rears and the service adviser thought I should keep them for another 3k but we ended up replacing them anyways. The fronts will easily go another 10k per the adviser. Since I was not replacing all 4 I got the Pirellis. Other than them being loud on rough surfaces I have nothing to complain about really.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I agree...they are good tires and if you are only replacing 2, I'd keep them all a matching set. As this thread clearly shows, there is no harm being done to the car or tires, so if you don't mind the noise, there is no need to change tires...
Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I kept the stock brand. Ours is a lease anyways so I figured they might care.

Btw, are you guys getting similar milage with you cars? We do live in FL and there are no corners here so I think that helped a lot. Also most of the time my wife was driving the car so that must have been another factor. But 20k and still looks OK is just a lot of miles I think. May be because the car is so light?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:01 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Porsche. No corners. Helped a lot.
Does not compute.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
"Normal" for Porsche... but why don't other cars exhibit this?
And if you think it's bad on a "cool" night in FL you should hear my car in the morning when it's 10 degrees out - feels like something's gonna break!
My R8 does the same exact thing ... it is really annoying especially since I drive my cars all year around and this has been a cold winter.

Originally Posted by dr.alexs
I noticed this behavior when the temperatures dropped this fall. When I put on my winter tires (Michelin alpins) it went away.
Best thing I ever did was recently buy winter wheels/tires (Michelin Alpins too) ... it eliminates this issue in the colder weather and really makes the car more enjoyable ... I can't believe I went through 2 winters without them ... (Actually 4 winters if I count my 997).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering question (possible problem?)