Sponsored by:

traffic data

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 07:09 PM
spar10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traffic data

can someone tell me if traffic data for the gps is available via fm (or wherever that signal is transmitted) or just from xm? my bmw could pull it from the radio and i can't get a clear answer from anyone on where that data comes from. i don't want to be stuck with xm if i can get that data over regular air waves.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Tapeworm
Instructor

The traffic data is part of the XM service.

If you have the 'Online Apps' option, it appears the AHA mobile app might be able to provide traffic data:

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=757

(So far, I have found the online apps pretty worthless - maybe because I own a Windows Phone and they don't have an app for that yet).

Andy
Old 01-06-2014, 09:28 PM
spar10
Instructor

i was running aha for about two days before i deleted it. it's a total waste.

i'm not sure why the radio couldn't pull in the over the air traffic data.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

This guy has the only real solution, but who knows how long it will be before a major aftermarket OEM has the sense to commercialize it.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, XM's traffic data is lame. It's only for the major highways, i.e., interstates for the most part in my area. Not worth the money. A smartphone hooked into your PCM is far better and more data.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 PM
spar10
Instructor

finally spoke with someone at porsche and in fact the traffic data comes from xm. what a lame decision to be dependent on xm sirius.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:04 PM
spar10
Instructor

Originally Posted by holminator
Yeah, XM's traffic data is lame. It's only for the major highways, i.e., interstates for the most part in my area. Not worth the money. A smartphone hooked into your PCM is far better and more data.
how can i hook the smartphone into the pcm to do this?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Bluetooth and/or USB in the glovebox.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Bluetooth and/or USB in the glovebox.
car to expand on this? Is switching the source of the traffic data in the config menus somewhere?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Then use Waze, Trapster et al.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:33 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Then use Waze, Trapster et al.
whatever the _source_ of the traffic data, my question pertains on how to configure the _display_ - i.e. how to get Waze or Trapster to show up on the PCM. Your previous post inferred that was possible. Or did I misinterpret? Are you simply saying to suction cup the smart phone to the windshield and view traffic data on that?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:50 AM
spar10
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlanka
whatever the _source_ of the traffic data, my question pertains on how to configure the _display_ - i.e. how to get Waze or Trapster to show up on the PCM. Your previous post inferred that was possible. Or did I misinterpret? Are you simply saying to suction cup the smart phone to the windshield and view traffic data on that?
as much as love what that guy did with the ipad mini, i'm not about to go through all that. plus, i don't think that ipad is completely replacing the ability to interface with anything in the car other than traffic.

i'm anxiously awaiting for a response to this too.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:47 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Resurrection here...just bought a slightly used 911/50th and shipped it over to Germany where I live. I brought the car to the local Porsche dealer where they loaded the Euro maps. XM is not available in Europe so I figured traffic data would not be available. Much to my surprise driving home from the dealer, it started dynamically re-routing me due to traffic on A8 out of the Stuttgart Airport area. It displayed blue triangles to show traffic and I was able to call up the traffic message in PCM showing details of the traffic jam, or Stau as they call them here. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is working without XM?
Old 01-17-2015, 04:17 AM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
Resurrection here...just bought a slightly used 911/50th and shipped it over to Germany where I live. I brought the car to the local Porsche dealer where they loaded the Euro maps. XM is not available in Europe so I figured traffic data would not be available. Much to my surprise driving home from the dealer, it started dynamically re-routing me due to traffic on A8 out of the Stuttgart Airport area. It displayed blue triangles to show traffic and I was able to call up the traffic message in PCM showing details of the traffic jam, or Stau as they call them here. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is working without XM?
In UK it comes through FM radio channels and is used by SatNav to provide traffic info. The blue triangles and information messages are from this hidden radio data. It is likely same in Germany. On the SatNav map screen a TMC icon will appear bottom left if there are issues en-route and pressing the icon lists the issues.
Couple of points to note... I avoid the automatic detour option as these are usually via much more clogged up routes which aren't monitored by the TMC... Preferring to make my own decisions based on severity of the issue reported (you can manually request a detour on the information page of the traffic messages). I also found the constant requests for detour interrupting my media to be a PITA so I turned this off as well.... So now I just get the icon which lets me know there are problems but waits for me to press it before deciding my fate or interrupting my audiophile-worthy base music system ....
Old 01-17-2015, 04:24 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Many thanks Cheeky...you have been very helpful! Yes, I saw the TMC icon and will check to ensure it is giving me the option of re-routing vice automatically letting it make the change.

I still have a nice iPhone mount on the center a/c vent as I prefer direct wire vice bluetooth plus the charging capability. I also run Waze since it gives me both traffic and speed cameras which you know are crazy in Europe. Got hit for one in Austria for 9 kph over for 30 Euro.

I am able to receive the FM transmissions in my Garmin GPS units for my other vehicles and it works pretty well. They aren't perfect though, as there have been a few times where neither Garmin with traffic nor Waze have alerted me of traffic build-ups. Still light years ahead of what we had in the 80s when I started driving...

Quick Reply: traffic data