Sponsored by:

Car just got tuned

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car just got tuned

Got a call from the Fabspeed guys out of the blue yesterday to ask me if I would be interested in having my car tuned and dynoed today as they had some UK based tuners in town for the day.

I took the car down this morning and the guys from the UK walked me through what they were going to do. It is basically a reflash of the ecu to improve the throttle mapping and the low and mid end power range. They plugged their laptop into the obdII port and remapped the power delivery curve. It took them 10 mins.

The end result is very noticeable when driving, with more torque in the low and mid range, from 2k rpm onwards. Prior to reflash, the car did not feel like it was really moving until over 5k rpm. Now, the throttle response is immediate and car pulls strongly from start.

The tuners are claiming an increase of 25bhp but will know when I have the car dynoed next week to see the change in power band.

The car does feel a lot more sporty, ESP in the lower rev range. Was always disappointed with low and mid range torque but not any more!

The tune was done by the tech director of Viezu, a UK based tuner. Www.Viezu.com.

Last edited by DBYT; 10-12-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:14 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you ask them, when are they going to get around to re-mapping the steering feel and PASM? There is no reason in principle for them not being able to tune these as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Interesting.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM
DBYT
Pro

I actually spoke to my dealer about the steering and they said they would look into it to see if they can remap it to GT3 specs once the GT3 is released. I would definitely like to get it done. The Viezu guys said there is no reason why it cannot be done.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by DBYT
I actually spoke to my dealer about the steering and they said they would look into it to see if they can remap it to GT3 specs once the GT3 is released. I would definitely like to get it done. The Viezu guys said there is no reason why it cannot be done.
YES! FINALLY!
I have been saying from Day One that because of the way the 991 steering works it should be possible to tune it with programming to deliver whatever feel you want. This was based on some quotes I'd seen from Porsche developers saying the problem is not transmitting feel- its possible to deliver ALL the suspension feel of the old system and more- but that the real challenge is in tuning or deciding what and how to filter so you don't wind up with too much, as that can be fatiguing over time. Clearly there are tradeoffs here, and a lot of owners would opt for a more lively feel.

Back to your OP, do you have any idea how much of the improvement you're feeling is coming from throttle mapping vs actual increased engine output? You probably have no way of knowing without dyno runs, and even then you'd need to have done a prior baseline run (which sounds like you don't have) but still it would be good to know. The biggest thing I've noticed is that for me the throttle mapping could stand to be faster. I'm sure Porsche has tuned that down, for reasons having to do with everything from inattentive drivers to improving fuel economy by filtering out the little throttle blips caused by a bumpy road. But a snappy throttle response sure livens up your driving experience! I bet you're loving it!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:06 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

Well that beats the crap out of the X51 for the money!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
YES! FINALLY!
I have been saying from Day One that because of the way the 991 steering works it should be possible to tune it with programming to deliver whatever feel you want. This was based on some quotes I'd seen from Porsche developers saying the problem is not transmitting feel- its possible to deliver ALL the suspension feel of the old system and more- but that the real challenge is in tuning or deciding what and how to filter so you don't wind up with too much, as that can be fatiguing over time. Clearly there are tradeoffs here, and a lot of owners would opt for a more lively feel.

Back to your OP, do you have any idea how much of the improvement you're feeling is coming from throttle mapping vs actual increased engine output? You probably have no way of knowing without dyno runs, and even then you'd need to have done a prior baseline run (which sounds like you don't have) but still it would be good to know. The biggest thing I've noticed is that for me the throttle mapping could stand to be faster. I'm sure Porsche has tuned that down, for reasons having to do with everything from inattentive drivers to improving fuel economy by filtering out the little throttle blips caused by a bumpy road. But a snappy throttle response sure livens up your driving experience! I bet you're loving it!
Fabspeed's dyno crapped out as they were doing a McLaren today so they could not dyno my car but they have offered to flash my ecu back to stock next week, run the dyno and then reflash the ecu to the Viezu tune, which is a Porsche Motorsport mapping. Will post dyno as soon as I get them.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ny991
Imagine the 2 combined.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:59 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by ny991
Most definitely and it gives you power where you need and use it most, which is low and mid range.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Where can we get it???
Old 10-13-2013, 12:12 AM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by jlanka
Where can we get it???
Give David at Fabspeed a call and ask him how to get the Viezu tune. Www.viezu.com
Old 10-13-2013, 12:54 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd love to see if this could improve the low end torque on a 3.4. It seems hard to believe there's 25 hp left on the table.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Fabspeed's dyno crapped out as they were doing a McLaren today so they could not dyno my car but they have offered to flash my ecu back to stock next week, run the dyno and then reflash the ecu to the Viezu tune, which is a Porsche Motorsport mapping. Will post dyno as soon as I get them.
Two things- first, this dyno news is great! A big problem with reports like this is no baseline test, no way to be sure of results. These guys are just fantastic to do this!

And second, another confirmation of something I've been saying forever, that Porsche leaves PLENTY on the table. Lots of people seem to want to believe Porsche squeezes out every last drop of performance possible. Puleeze! Performance is important, yes, but its just one factor in a matrix that includes EPA, MPG, liability, marketing, manufacturing processes, and more. The ONLY engines Porsche squeezes every last drop of performance out of are the ones they send to their factory race teams. The fact that Viezu tune is using Porsche Motorsport mapping is a dead giveaway. Porsche has it, they know it offers higher performance, they could put it in there for free. But they don't. Because for Porsche at the corporate level there are other considerations more important.

Think you'll be able to post before and after dyne charts? That would be awesome!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 PM
DBYT
Pro

Originally Posted by chuck911
Two things- first, this dyno news is great! A big problem with reports like this is no baseline test, no way to be sure of results. These guys are just fantastic to do this!

And second, another confirmation of something I've been saying forever, that Porsche leaves PLENTY on the table. Lots of people seem to want to believe Porsche squeezes out every last drop of performance possible. Puleeze! Performance is important, yes, but its just one factor in a matrix that includes EPA, MPG, liability, marketing, manufacturing processes, and more. The ONLY engines Porsche squeezes every last drop of performance out of are the ones they send to their factory race teams. The fact that Viezu tune is using Porsche Motorsport mapping is a dead giveaway. Porsche has it, they know it offers higher performance, they could put it in there for free. But they don't. Because for Porsche at the corporate level there are other considerations more important.

Think you'll be able to post before and after dyne charts? That would be awesome!
Chuck,
Will definitely be posting before and after dynos, not only from my car but other 991s that Viezu have done in the UK too.

Porsche has always left a lot of room in their engines for performance gains, unlike Ferraris etc which are tuned to very close to their max capacities.

Fabspeed will be chiming in very shortly with full description and explanation of what the Viezu tune does etc. Lots of skeptics out there and a few of the 6speed guys are getting restless for hard data.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:28 PM
DBYT
Pro

From Viezu website:
Here is screen shot from Viezu's website

FAQ

Why Choose Viezu?

We do understand there are a number of tuning providers to choose from, and from a web site many look the same. We would seek to assure you Viezu is not just "another tuning provider": our tuning services have been developed in house over the last 20 years and are some of the very best available in the world today.

Award winning tuning services, Viezu is the UK’s only ISO certified tuning and training provider, we are approved and used by the largest fleet and industry professionals across the world. All tuning is insured and comes with our money back promise.

If your tuner can’t demonstrate how they develop and test their tuning and that they conduct dyno and emissions testing (a legal requirement) – don’t you just have to ask how they do it?

Viezu tuning and ECU remapping is dyno developed, and emission tested – you are welcome to come to the Viezu HQ, meet the team and see the research and development being undertaken yourself.

Viezu are the responsible tuning company, all our Viezu tuning is custom and developed with years of research and development, and Viezu gives you the choice of the level of tune you want. Be it performance or economy tuning, we have the ability to reach your exact requirements. If you can't decide between a multitudes of options, then fear not, as we also have an option that allows you to have multiple maps available for your car at the press of a button - our V-Switch device. Please feel free to ask for details of our customer standards and awards.

So why don’t vehicle manufactures tune their vehicles.

The most common of all tuning questions, it is not complicated, but there are a few answers to this question, some more obvious than others.

Vehicle manufactures are in a tough position here, they have to build one vehicle for all drivers, it’s a bit like a nice suit off the shelf, it fits well, its looks smart, but it can’t be custom tailored for the end customer, tuning is just the same, if you own a fleet of vans you may want a speed limiter or rev limiter added to help save your fuel, yet another customer may want a little more power to help with towing, or heavy payloads, these sort of changes can only be made once the vehicle is built and the customer needs something other than off the shelf

Fuel quality, we are often asked to tune for different fuel quality, either higher or lower, once an owner knows where his vehicle will be used and what it will be used for, we can adapt the tuning for environmental, altitude and fuel quality.

And surprisingly, many manufactures do offer ecu remapping services, any showroom these days will be full of eco tuned vehicles, often sporting a “blue” badge, just like our BlueOtimize tuning, with our tuning though, you don’t need a new vehicle to benifit from economy tuning.

In addition, many manufacturers offer power and performance tuning upgrades too, or offer the same engine in a range of vehicles offering different power levels, this enables customers a choice, taking account of tax banding, insurance, performance, price and economy, In most cases though the choice is controlled with software, just like our tuning, but with Viezu you don’t have to decide what you want from new in the showroom, we can tailor your vehicle to your needs whenever you want.

Will a remap invalidate my car's warranty?

No. A remap or any aftermarket work cannot and will not automatically invalidate a vehicles warranty. It’s a misconception that it will, and sometimes those that know are not always clear about this fact. Its very common for fleet users and companies to fit a speed limiter to their vehicles, some will use us to do this work, other drivers may want to fit a tow-bar, or upgraded sound system to their vehicle, these are common fitments, but they are after market changes just like a remap, your tow-bar does not invalidate your warrant so why should your remap?

However, manufactures of course have the right to investigate and possibly reject a warranty claim if the failure is directly related too and caused by the tuning, (remember not all tuning is the same quality as Viezu) Therefore, for your total peace of mind, all Viezu tuning work is insured and guaranteed, if our tuning causes a failure inside or outside of the warranty period you are covered. It’s exactly why you should chose Viezu for all your tuning work, only Viezu dealers have this depth of cover and your dealer will be happy to show you and talk through the Viezu tuning insurance policy. We say this with confidence because of the rigorous testing regime all ECU remapping and vehicle tuning files go through, and we even give a life-time software guarantee too for reinstallation.

Should you lose your tuning files due to dealer actions or parts failure your dealer will be happy to re-install the map onto your car free of charge for as long as you own the vehicle.

Should I tell my insurance company?

Whilst the upgrade in many cases is undetectable, the responsible and correct answer to this question has to be "yes", your insurance company should be notified of any modifications including tuning. However, the good news is many insurance companies do not penalise you for upgrades of this nature, particularly if you're tuning for increased fuel economy.

Adrian Flux is one such company.

Will my fuel consumption go up after an upgrade?

No, in fact quite the opposite, even on a performance tune, if you continue to drive the car in the same way as you did before the upgrade, your fuel consumption will probably improve. Of course if you have a track day motorsport tuning map installed on the car and you are driving the car under the conditions with which full on motorsport tuning is intended you're likely to find a slightly reduced mpg figure. In just about all other cases though Viezu tuning will imporve your vehicles fuel economy.

Economy tuning can have a dramatic effect on fuel consumption, with considerable improvements being achieved along with huge money savings on fuel. All Viezu fuel economy tuning has a money back promise, if you are not delighted – you don’t pay for the tuning.

Will the life span of my engine be reduced?

No, not at all if you use a Viezu dealer. Sadly some engines can be over tuned, "stressing" the engine, transmission, cooling systems, brakes, etc, and reducing the life span and reliability of the car. This is why it's so important to choose the best – choose Viezu, the research and development we carry out ensures all our tuning is of the very highest standard possible.

We take great care to ensure that all of our modifications have no detrimental effect on your car. In a lot of cases the economy tune actually helps to extend the life of components such as the clutch and gearbox by making the delivery of the power far less aggressive and smoothing the overall drive of the vehicle.

Are plug and play re-maps and files sold on E-bay any good?

There are a number of basic power upgrades available in a plug and play format or are downloadable from the web. Whilst some of these items can offer slight increases in power, they operate by merely adjusting a specified signal within the ECU by a set tolerance. It's impossible to compare these inferior upgrades with a full rolling road re-map which measures and adjusts hundreds of signals and data files within the ECU.

We advise that these generic files and unsupported devices for sale on the web should be avoided at all cost. We've seen too many customers come to us after a bad experience - and there was no one else to turn to either. We're always happy to advise on your tuning needs.

£5Million insurance – sounds like a lot?

Yes that’s right, Viezu is insured not just for public liability, but for the act of tuning and remap file writing to the value of £5million Uk sterling. Why so much? Viezu offer tuning services to some of the largest vehicle fleets in the world, some over 40,000 vehicles, we also support some of the most prestigious tuning and race teams around the world with many hundreds and thousands of pounds invested in any one single vehicle. And we of course support over 400 dealers, we supply over 5000 tuning files per month.

As a customer be confident – nothing is left to chance at Viezu – especially our insurance. Feel free to ask for a copy of our insurance and quality policies at any time.

- See more at: http://www.viezu.com/faq#sthash.rwu6cMHu.dpuf

Quick Reply: Car just got tuned